PDA

View Full Version : Putting all the money in with TPTK or overpair.

Marc Desjardins
05-30-2005, 03:30 AM
I don't have specific hand for you, but playing NL 25$ for a while now, I often find myself in this position and I really hate it.

My stack is around 25$, I am in late position with AK, AQ or even QQ or JJ.

There is a few limpers so I raise to 1.50 or 2$. I get one or two call.

Pot at around 6 or 7$. I flop TPTK with AK or AQ, or the flop has no card higher than my QQ or JJ. There's no obvious straight of flush draw. It's checked to me, I bet between half and 3/4 of the pot and I get on call.

There is now about 15-20$ in the pot. Turn is a blank. I now have about 15-18$ left. Checked to me again. How much do you bet? I don't like going all-in with just a pair. If there's a flush draw or straight draw, I might do it. But if there is nothing dangerous, I will usually bet half the pot, hoping to win it right there. Unless my opponent has a lower stack then me, in that case, I might just bet whatever he has. But if he has a bigger or similar stack, I'm really not sure what the best play is.

Let's say I bet half the pot and I get called again, there is now around 35-40$ in the pot and I'm left with 7-8$. If it's checked to me, do I check behind hoping to get it or do I just try value-bet my remaining chips?

Either way, I end up putting a lot more money that I would have wanted to with just a pair.

Many time, it will be folded to my river bet. When it's called, I'll sometime win, but I'll also often be showed some kind of two pair or slowplayed set. But it seems to me that there is not many other way to play this after the flop. I can't start betting the minimum with top pair top kicker or with an overpair and I certainly can't just check behind on the turn.

I really hate those situations and they do come often enough. What is your line on those kind of situations.

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

PoBoy321
05-30-2005, 03:38 AM
I understand your dilemma, but there are really a lot of factors that play into these situations, and it's difficult to say what the best line is without information about the texture of the board and your opponent.

wtfsvi
05-30-2005, 09:56 AM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">Svar på:</font><hr />
...and I certainly can't just check behind on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure you can. It depends on a lot of factors, but often times bet the flop - check behind on turn - call/bet river, is a great line on a drawless board.

In adittion to winning about the same when you are ahead/losing less when you are behind (this really applies to when the stacks are deeper), this will make bluffing the river when you bet the flop and check the turn less profitable. This is normally the line of a missed AK, and if you have missed overcards every time you use that line, you'll be very easy to read and bluffing you will become very profitable.

Leaky Game
05-30-2005, 10:48 AM
It's like Po said, it's too hard to tell without information on the type of game and opponent. But you also can't play scared. On Party people will call bets with all kinds of nonsense, sure you're going to see the occasional set here or two pair but for the most part you're going to be ahead on a drawless board.

There's also nothing wrong with checking the turn. But if you bet 1/2 the pot and you're only going to be left with $6 or $7, you might as well push. Just one man's opinion.

Mase31683
05-30-2005, 10:52 AM
It appears to me that you have two slightly different situations here. TPTK is obviously a very strong hand, and the overpair is even stronger. Personally, I would play both of these hand very aggressively in the situations you've described. If I'm raising preflop with AK or AQ and getting calls, not raises, I'm going to put those callers on big cards like i have, or small-medium PP. When the flop comes with your K or Q and rags, you've gotta play your hand as the best. Don't make a bet half the size of the pot, bet that pot or more. If you're happy taking it down, let everyone know how strong your hand is with a big bet. If someone wants to draw out, make them pay for it every time. If you do get called or reraised, it's time to reassess the situation. Do you think they hit a set or two pair? If not, you're going to show the best hand if all the chips go in. A lot of these players will call bets half the size, many times the size of the pot on straight and especially flush draws. What's worse is that sometimes they'll hit them and take your money. What you have to remember is that in the end, they'll pay you more then you pay them. Don't be afraid to make good sized bets with those hands, they're strong.

BlackRain
05-30-2005, 10:56 AM
I pretty much agree with the others. If it is a drawless board and you are facing no aggression from your opponent it is likely you are ahead with TPTK. From my experience in the lower limits, it is very rare to have someone smooth call a set or 2p on you all the way to the river. You raised with AK for a reason, and you hit the flop, don't be afraid to bet it.

Marc Desjardins
05-30-2005, 02:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Don't make a bet half the size of the pot, bet that pot or more. If you're happy taking it down, let everyone know how strong your hand is with a big bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks a lot everybody for the good feedback. Now, about betting more than the pot. When is that a good option. I never do that and I've always wondered about people who do that. How much more can you bet?

I read tournaments books and limit, but never any ring game NL book, so when it comes time to bet, I usually put 3-4BB + 1BB for every limper before the flop. After the flop, if there are draws on the board, I will bet the pot. If there is nothing dangerous, I will bet between half and 3/4 of the pot.

But many times in the hands reviews of this forum, people say to make bigger raise before the flop and now you are mentioning that I can even over bet the pot after the flop. What are the good situations for those overbet?

Thanks