PDA

View Full Version : I Hate Being Heads Up (No content, I need to vent)

Taraz
05-30-2005, 03:03 AM
I can't freaking win when I get heads up on the end, it's so damn annoying. In my past 17 ITMs I've gotten 2nd 11 times and have either gotten all-in with the chip lead as a 60% favorite or pushed/called all-in w/ AT or better and lost. I've been reading all those old eastbay posts and looking at the Sklanksy/Karlson rankings and everything, I just can't do it. I hate you all.

That is it. Thank you.

treeofwisdom7
05-30-2005, 03:10 AM
maybe i can help..
push PP
AX
KX
QX
JX

the end.

Big Limpin'
05-30-2005, 03:13 AM
just go apeshit. its not optimal, but its far from the worst plan of attack. I reckon pushing every hand would at least equal you current results, more likely better than worse.

Taraz
05-30-2005, 03:24 AM
Yeah, I'm generally pushing Qx and better. It seems that I steal the blinds with all my crappier hands, which is good, and I get called with my better hands, which is good, but I lose these 60-40s, which is bad and very very frustrating.

And to add insult to injury I just lost KK to AK on the bubble right now . . . grrrrrr.

pergesu
05-30-2005, 03:35 AM
If you're having trouble with heads up play, post some hands.

Nobody gives a [censored] about your bad run. Plenty of people are doing worse right now.

treeofwisdom7
05-30-2005, 03:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I'm generally pushing Qx and better. It seems that I steal the blinds with all my crappier hands, which is good, and I get called with my better hands, which is good, but I lose these 60-40s, which is bad and very very frustrating.

And to add insult to injury I just lost KK to AK on the bubble right now . . . grrrrrr.

[/ QUOTE ]

Qx maybe thats your problem. call with a lot more hands heads up. raise with Jx and up call with almost anytwo cards and poooosh when you hitum

its not always correct but its closer

NYCNative
05-30-2005, 04:44 AM
In the SNG that I just wrapped up, I had villain at the start of HU like 12,000 to 3,000 and soon had him at even kless. He wins not one, not two, but three coin flips to take over the lead and then beats me with a higher PP than I had. So yeah, I know the feeling. </bitch>

Taraz
05-30-2005, 05:31 AM
I know nobody gives a [censored]. That's why I said "no content, I need to vent".

runner4life7
05-30-2005, 05:43 AM
if blinds are 200/400 im usually pushing almost any 2, its fun

Rickyroodido
05-30-2005, 06:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
maybe i can help..
push PP
AX
KX
QX
JX

the end.

[/ QUOTE ]

This might win a fair share, but its a terrible piece of advice if you are interested in becoming a killer headsup.
There are alot of things to consider, like: how big are the blinds?, how passiv/aggressiv and tight/loose is villian? Has villian been pushing alot with any ace, or does he love small pairs? Who has most chips? ...
This is probably obvious but, in regard to the way I understand the books mentioned by OP, I dont think you can give any solid advice for headsup in S&Gs. It depends.

oops! OP didnt mention any books. Anyway this is my understanding of Slansky and CO

45suited
05-30-2005, 09:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
just go apeshit. its not optimal, but its far from the worst plan of attack. I reckon pushing every hand would at least equal you current results, more likely better than worse.

[/ QUOTE ]

What he said... Your results will probably improve, and you'll also get a good laugh out of it as you steamroll your opponent. Did Daliman ever finish his "all-in everytime" expirement? If it's good enough for him to try, it's certainly good enough for us, especially if we are going through a bad HU run. (I went through a stretch of 2nds myself, read his post, and then just said, "F THIS!" and played like a maniac HU. The dopes at the 11's tend to let you do this for so many hands before they wake up that you can build up a nice lead.)

Big Limpin'
05-30-2005, 10:02 AM
The best is when:

YOuve been pusing nonstop, hes all like fold, complete/fold, fold, complete/fold....and youre thinking to yourself "man he MUST realize by now that im not getting dealt AA over and over again" and then finally he does call, flips over AQ, and you type GG when your 8-5 makes one pair and its good. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

The biggest thing that we forget is taht its pretty hard to be worse than a 2-1 dog. Really, you need domination or PP vs. PP to be worse. And that doesnt happen all that often when only 4 cards dealt preflop.

Perhaps a good mindset is to imagine the blinds you pick up are paying for that next tiem you stack off, likely as a dog. If you lose, meh, back where ya were 5 hands ago. But like 35-45% of the time, you take it down.

EasilyFound
05-30-2005, 10:03 AM
so that means you won first 6 times? wow. better than me. I once lost 13 HU matches in a row. try to top that! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

EasilyFound
05-30-2005, 10:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If you're having trouble with heads up play, post some hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've posted (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=singletable&Number=2506494 &Forum=All_Forums&Words=&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Mai n=2506152&Search=true&where=bodysub&Name=30104&dat erange=1&newerval=1&newertype=w&olderval=&oldertyp e=&bodyprev=#Post2506494) HHs before, but sometimes don't get more than a few folks who reply. Perhaps I post too many hands, but I like to let everyone see the HU from start to finish.

For the OP: keep getting HU and try different approaches, and try to get a read on your opponent and adjust to capitalize on it.

Good luck.

45suited
05-30-2005, 10:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
YOuve been pusing nonstop, hes all like fold, complete/fold, fold, complete/fold....and youre thinking to yourself "man he MUST realize by now that im not getting dealt AA over and over again" and then finally he does call, flips over AQ, and you type GG when your 8-5 makes one pair and its good.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly... What I love even more is when they type, "I can't pick up a hand" and fold their SB to you. Do these guys really think we're picking up monsters every time we push???? I love people who try to "play poker" when the blinds are 200-400!

dhende3
05-30-2005, 01:19 PM
Hyperagressiveness is pretty much the only way to play once it is level 7. Otherwise it depends on the other player's tendencies whether or not I will attempt traps or just raise every hand.

runner4life7
05-30-2005, 02:26 PM
Yeah there is something wrong then because that whould happen about 1 out of every 10,000 sets up 13. If the blinds are 200/400 or higher just push anything. People fold too much and then i now have 3/4 the chips they call, lets say i have a 35% chance to win that and 65% to go back to where I started. Thats a total of 67.5% just from that if they let you steal that much.

durron597
05-30-2005, 02:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I can't freaking win when I get heads up on the end, it's so damn annoying. In my past 17 ITMs I've gotten 2nd 11 times and have either gotten all-in with the chip lead as a 60% favorite or pushed/called all-in w/ AT or better and lost. I've been reading all those old eastbay posts and looking at the Sklanksy/Karlson rankings and everything, I just can't do it. I hate you all.

That is it. Thank you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just remember that the worst (and most common mistake) when HU is folding too much. That is all.

erfinator
05-30-2005, 02:42 PM
Hey T,
It looks like you're just going through a bad run. But if I could give any advice, it would be that at the low level SnG's you need to be the aggeressor when your opponent shows any sort of weakness. I push any face card in the BB if my opponent just completes his SB, and I raise on the button 75% of the time until they start playing back. Usually, by the time they start playing back, you'll have a big enough chip lead that you can withstand their suckouts vs your a10 or whatever and still have a chance to win the tournie. I'm generally a lurker, but yeah. I love you cousin.