PDA

View Full Version : Car Racing: Who Cares?

slickpoppa
05-30-2005, 01:53 AM
I have never had any interest in watching car racing, and I have difficulty understanding how it is so popular. I don't have any friends or even any minor aquaintances that I know of who are fans of the sport. I grew up in New Jersey and have lived in the Northeast my entire life and I can't recall even just overhearing other people talking about Nascar or the Indy 500.

But apparently there are some areas of the country where Nascar is really popular, which I find really weird. I find it weird because there is really no other sport that is extremely popular in just some parts of the country but not others. Hockey is somewhat localized in its popularity, but even hockey is much more mainstream than car racing. I also find the huge popularity of car racing in some areas to be weird because it looks so boring to me. I don't doubt that it would be really fun to actually participate in the sport, but from a fans' perspective, car racing seems extremely monotonous to me. Sure, there are accidents once in a while that might be fun to watch, but I assume that this is not the only reason that so many people watch races. Seriously, what the hell is so interesting about watching cars driving around a track several hundred times? There is probably a lot of drama at the end, but what happens during the rest of the race that is worth watching?

The sports that I enjoy watching are interesting to me because I can watch them and see plays that allow me to appreciate the skill of the atheletes participating in the sport. I can watch Michael Jordan score ~40 points with the flu or Tiger Woods hole a 60 foot chip at the Masters and really appreciate that I am witnessing something great. But I don't see how the skill involved in car racing can really amaze a spectator. Anybody can drive a car. I certainly could not drive a car as well as Dale Earnhardt, but the difference between his driving skill and mine is not easy to see while wathcing Nascar. His skill just slowly adds up over many laps and he finishes the race in a faster time than his opponents. He probably makes some skillful maneuvures, but are they really that interesting to watch?

There is also a lot of drama in the sports that I enjoy watching. I still get goosebumps when I watch Christian Laetner's shot against Kentucky or Adam Vinatieri's field goal to win the Super Bowl. I have never seen any videos of any extremely exciting Nascar finish.

I'd be interested if there are any posters out there who could explain to me what the appeal of car racing is.

daryljobe777
05-30-2005, 01:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I have never seen any videos of any extremely exciting Nascar finish.

[/ QUOTE ]

Look harder.

PhatTBoll
05-30-2005, 02:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
find it weird because there is really no other sport that is extremely popular in just some parts of the country but not others.

[/ QUOTE ]
Football is huge in Pennsylvania and Ohio, basketball is huge in Indiana and Kentucky. In parts of Michigan and Minnesota, hockey is the sport. In the south, it's nascar. So on and so forth.

For somebody with no interest in the sport, I'm sure it is boring to watch on tv. But I'll bet if you went to a race and got shithoused, you'd change your opinion.

Edge34
05-30-2005, 02:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I have never seen any videos of any extremely exciting Nascar finish.

[/ QUOTE ]

Look harder.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jesus H. Christ, the finish tonight was about as exciting as its been recently. You don't have to look hard at all, you just have to actually look.

Auto racing is actually highly skilled and highly technical. When an entire race's finish can be decided by when a team times their last pit stop or how much they adjust certain parts of the car, its exciting. Watching these people control huge machines moving in excess of 200 mph without killing themselves it incredible. There's a lot to this sport that its true fans embrace, even if they can't always explain it.

There's tradition, there's an incredible amount of skill, there's the thrill of speed, and yeah, there's some pretty sweet wrecks that thankfully get less dangerous as safety technology gets better. This is just part of the racing story, and if it wasn't 1 AM I'd have a much better one, but you've got a start here...

gunt
05-30-2005, 02:04 AM
i'd rather watch bum fights than car racing

slickpoppa
05-30-2005, 02:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
find it weird because there is really no other sport that is extremely popular in just some parts of the country but not others.

[/ QUOTE ]
Football is huge in Pennsylvania and Ohio, basketball is huge in Indiana and Kentucky. In parts of Michigan and Minnesota, hockey is the sport. In the south, it's nascar. So on and so forth.

For somebody with no interest in the sport, I'm sure it is boring to watch on tv. But I'll bet if you went to a race and got shithoused, you'd change your opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]

- Football and basketball are bigger in some areas than others, but there is no place in the country where they are virtually non-existent; I don't know about the entire country, but in the Northeast no one ever even talks about Nascar.

- I don't need to get shitfaced to enjoy watching football, basketball, baseball, and many other sports.

mason55
05-30-2005, 02:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

- Football and basketball are bigger in some areas than others, but there is no place in the country where they are virtually non-existent; I don't know about the entire country, but in the Northeast no one ever even talks about Nascar.

- I don't need to get shitfaced to enjoy watching football, basketball, baseball, and many other sports.

[/ QUOTE ]

Much of the drama of racing comes off the track with fights about rules, suspensions for misconduct, etc. It's very soap opera - esque. I watch F1 with decent interest, but I can watch an F1 race and an Indy car race and see the differences. I think it takes experience watching races before you start to see technical differences as well as get into the story line. Much of it is marketed like WWE.

slickpoppa
05-30-2005, 02:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Jesus H. Christ, the finish tonight was about as exciting as its been recently. You don't have to look hard at all, you just have to actually look.

[/ QUOTE ]

I should elaborate further. The reason that I don't find the finishes of races really exiciting is because there is basically only one way that they happen: One car reaches the finish line before all the other cars. Some races are very close, which makes them somewhat exicting, but there is really no texture or depth in the finish of a race; the skill of the better racer just slowly adds up over the course of the race.

In most other sports, in contrast, the end of the game can occur is much more unexpected ways. Like racing, the team or person that wins is decided by comparing two numbers, but there are many more degrees of freedom in how those two numbers are decided.

In basketball a game can be decided because of a last second three pointer, or a player calling timeout when his team does not have any timeouts remaining, or a player scoring 8 points in the span of 13 seconds. In baseball a game can end on a 9th inning homerun or because a first baseman lets a ground ball go between his legs. In football a game can be decided by a 45 yard field goal, or a 60 yard hail mary, or a kick return for a touchdown with the band on the field, or a receiver being tackled 1 yard short of the endzone.

Maybe in car racing one of the drivers handles a turn really well towards the end of the race that allows him to win, but IMO that just does not even compare to some of the crazy things that happen in other sports.

mason55
05-30-2005, 02:43 AM
It sounds like, for you, your enjoyment rests on a "pivotal point" of a sports match. That's cool. Just as many people are more into the off field drama in many sports (people who don't care how many point ron artest scored per game but love seeing the fight) that's a lot of what racing's all about. Not for everyone, not for me, but I understand the appeal.

masse75
05-30-2005, 02:43 AM
A pointless thread. To each his own. For me, [censored] baseball. How many times can I see A-Rod step out of the box, holding up the game, or a team change pitchers 3 times for 3 consecutive batters?

Some may argue, "That's the strategy of baseball." Who gives a [censored]? But I'm not going to start a post about it...if they like baseball, rock on, brother.

hmohnphd
05-30-2005, 02:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I find it weird because there is really no other sport that is extremely popular in just some parts of the country but not others.

[/ QUOTE ]

Granted, this is not talking about professional sports, but in my experience, lacrosse and crew and just about non-existant in Texas (and I would assume it is similar in the surrouding part of the country as well). But from what I understand, those two sports are pretty big in the Northeast.

And yeah, car racing is boring.

PhatTBoll
05-30-2005, 03:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

And I don't need to get shitfaced to enjoy racing. People do care about racing in the northeast. Some of the most hardcore nascar fans I've ever met were from upstate NY, and I understand it's pretty big in New Hampshire.

All I meant by the football-basketball thing was that different sports are popular in different areas. I don't get why this is such a difficult concept.

rusellmj
05-30-2005, 03:07 AM
Motorsports rule. I'll watch just about anything on wheels. I love racing. My understanding of the sport gives me a deeper appreciation of the skills and teamwork involved that you have about ball sports.

[ QUOTE ]
Anybody can drive a car.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah and anybody can shoot hoops or play catch. Again, it's the level of understanding that makes it interesting. You can appreciate televised golf. I'd rather watch paint dry.
I quit watching ball sports because I just couldn't take the trash talking, the over the top show boating and what not anymore. Am I the only one who thinks the NBA is the epitiome of everything thats wrong with pro sports today?

[ QUOTE ]
even hockey is much more mainstream than car racing

[/ QUOTE ]

NASCAR boasts a fan base of 75 million. It's probably growing. No way the NHL has that number.

Not every race is a barn burner. Just like not every game ends with a last second winning score. I'm a pretty rabid NASCAR fan but even I pick and choose the tracks I'll watch because I know where the action is. Maybe if you took the time, learned a little about the sport, you could appreciate it more. I'm done with the NFL, MLB, NBA though. Also, because of it's different financial structure, I will never have to endure a NASCAR competitors strike.

DougOzzzz
05-30-2005, 03:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
A pointless thread. To each his own. For me, [censored] baseball. How many times can I see A-Rod step out of the box, holding up the game, or a team change pitchers 3 times for 3 consecutive batters?

Some may argue, "That's the strategy of baseball." Who gives a [censored]? But I'm not going to start a post about it...if they like baseball, rock on, brother.

[/ QUOTE ]

I love baseball, but I think these things really suck about the sport.

slickpoppa
05-30-2005, 03:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
NASCAR boasts a fan base of 75 million. It's probably growing. No way the NHL has that number.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't dispute that Nascar may be more popular overall than hockey. My point is that the fan base of hockey is spread out over the entire country. If you go to a bar in Detroit, NYC, LA, Boston, Houston, Chicago, or almost anywhere in the country during the Stanley Cup you will probably find someone interested in hockey. Hockey has teams in all cities around the country. Nascar, on the other hand, is much more localized. Since Nascar is an individual sport that doesn't have teams from cities around the country, it does not have the same national appeal. Major Nascar races do not occur all over the country.

Jack of Arcades
05-30-2005, 03:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I love baseball, but I think these things really suck about the sport.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know any fan of baseball that doesn't feel the same way.

Grisgra
05-30-2005, 03:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i'd rather watch bum fights than car racing

[/ QUOTE ]

usmfan
05-30-2005, 10:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Hockey is somewhat localized in its popularity, but even hockey is much more mainstream than car racing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Check these articles out and then continue to argue which is more mainstream:
here (http://www.e-sports.com/web/PrintArticle.aspx?ArticleID=87)

and here (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/writers/frank_deford/09/15/nhl.nascar/)

NASCAR is a sport meant to be watched in person and once you do, you'll be hooked.

Uglyowl
05-30-2005, 10:38 AM
To not understand that there is amazing skill in Nascar is just ridiculous. Driving at 200MPH right on someone's ass for 5 hours and not make a mistake. Try this for 1/2 hour.

The enjoyment of it is just ok for me. I can't sit there for the whole event, but will flip back and forth.

That being said the ending to last nights race was awesome!

RacersEdge
05-30-2005, 11:01 AM
I have to agree that car racing is not very compelling.

I guess a couple things come to mind. One is that is very much machine based as which car wins the race. IOW, how smooothly/efficiently the engine is running, how well the pit crew changed the steering tension, or whatever - just making stuff up here. But the point is that these things are determined away form the actual athlete (and I use the term loosely here) , the driver , making a critical "play".

The second reason is that it is a continuous type of sport where litle things just add up - so no drama or pressure situations. Nothing equivalent to a Ernie Els hitting a big drawing 5-iron on the 16th hole to take the lead. Nothing like bases loaded in the 9th, and the pitch K'ing the batter on a nasty slider. The discrete point in time where the pressure builds and someone needs to perfom under pressure is pretty much absent from car racing. It's more of a generalized effect that happens over a long time period by many people indirectly. Just doesn't have anything to make the highlight reel.

Uglyowl
05-30-2005, 11:15 AM
With no hockey, I have found time to watch a little. Some of my novice observations:

1. Why is a huge deal when someone overtakes someone for 8th place near the end. I understand it is probably the whole Nextel Cup points thing, but there seems too much emphasis on this. "The race for 8th" they sometimes bring up.

2. I think the whole athlete in the car is only part of the group is fascinating. Pit crew, the mechanics, etc. all having a part is kinda interesting.

3. Too long of an event for me. I am sure the NASCAR diehards will disagree though. Maybe the more I watch I will change my mind.

klagett
05-30-2005, 11:26 AM
I've never really been a huge NASCAR fan, but my father has been for years. Basically ever since Jeff Gorden came into NASCAR in his rookie season. So I'd often watch racing with my father just cause it was something he would like to do.

I totally disagree with the people that say it is a boring sport though. Take a little bit to learn and understand the sport and it's much more interesting.

Pocket Trips
05-30-2005, 11:31 AM
I used to feel the same way about car racing. I would constantly make fun of my father for watching those damn rednecks drive in circles. Then i bought a NASCAR video game to play with him at his house and i got really into it>

That allowed me to understand what effect lowering tire pressure has on car's handling and alo just how difficult it is to stay in the draft and what effects that can have. Then you can start question crew cheif and driver decisions in a race because you will understand what they mean. Just like in baseball and basketball when you question a suicide squeeze or a pick and roll play.

After watching it for a bit you begin to appreciate th driving skills more till you can appreciate drivers skillfully avoiding a wreck rather than just watching for the threat of serious injury as George Carlin once said /images/graemlins/grin.gif

NASCAR definately takes a little research to be able to appreciate but it is well worth the effort required to appreciate it

fluxrad
05-30-2005, 02:58 PM
ugh. can we please separate NASCAR threads from racing threads.

TimTimSalabim
05-30-2005, 04:25 PM
The points system in Nascar is retarded. I'll let others elaborate.

kyro
05-30-2005, 04:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Some of the most hardcore nascar fans I've ever met were from upstate NY, and I understand it's pretty big in New Hampshire.

[/ QUOTE ]

I find NASCAR utterly boring...but yeah, it's pretty big up here.

Dr. Strangelove
05-30-2005, 04:44 PM
I think NASCAR is retarded, but I enjoy racing that involves right turns.

augie00
05-30-2005, 04:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
but in the Northeast no one ever even talks about Nascar

[/ QUOTE ]

In the northeast, nobody has sex with their cousin. In the northeast, people bathe.