View Full Version : 2 HU Postflop questions

aK13
05-30-2005, 01:01 AM
1. Hero is BB with 33
MP2 limps, everyone else folds.
Flop comes J74r
Hero checks or bets?

2. Hero is Button with KJs
Folded around to Hero, who raises, SB folds, BB calls.
Flop is 972r
BB bets, Hero raises, BB calls
Turn is 9
BB bets, Hero folds?

SteveL91
05-30-2005, 01:04 AM
I'd bet in the first hand. Depending on your level of aggression and the strength of your read on MP2, you might consider raising PF. Sure, you only have 33... but he doesn't know that.

I'd fold the turn in the second hand. I'm guessing you were raising the flop to try for a free card?

aK13
05-30-2005, 01:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'd bet in the first hand. Depending on your level of aggression and the strength of your read on MP2, you might consider raising PF. Sure, you only have 33... but he doesn't know that.

I'd fold the turn in the second hand. I'm guessing you were raising the flop to try for a free card?

[/ QUOTE ]

Basically, I think BB has made it clear he's got a pair, so I'm going to need to spike a K or J to win. When he bets into me again, I put him on trip 9s and fold.

ClaytonN
05-30-2005, 01:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Basically, I think BB has made it clear he's got a pair

[/ QUOTE ]

THEN WHY ARE YOU RAISING! YOU HAVE THE WORST HAND! AND NO DRAW! JUST.... OVERCARDS!

puke

Maurader1
05-30-2005, 01:13 AM
1. Bet and fold to raise on flop. But what to do on river. On the turn, I think I usually check/fold, weak?

2. I'd fold as we're either drawing to 6 outs or are dominated, but you won't find out until the river bet goes in

aK13
05-30-2005, 01:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Basically, I think BB has made it clear he's got a pair

[/ QUOTE ]

THEN WHY ARE YOU RAISING! YOU HAVE THE WORST HAND! AND NO DRAW! JUST.... OVERCARDS!

puke

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't think its worth risking extra 1SB to see the turn and the river? You rather call the bet and fold turn UI when he bets into us again?

EDIT: ClaytonN (and anybody else who is reading), I'm asking a very serious question here. HU with position, we don't raise here with overs? I mean, if not, I may have to review my PT database and see if this is a serious leak, since I feel like this is very much the correct play.

Maurader1
05-30-2005, 01:17 AM
Depending on read of BB, I can see him betting overcards, and a raise on the flop would buy a free card on the turn.

Even if BB has a pair, isn't it worthwhile to invest one small bet to try and get a free look at the river?

smartalecc5
05-30-2005, 01:26 AM
1) bets
2)folds

ClaytonN
05-30-2005, 01:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You don't think its worth risking extra 1SB to see the turn and the river? You rather call the bet and fold turn UI when he bets into us again?

[/ QUOTE ]

The pot is small, don't get infatuated with winning the pot. Start thinking about winning money.

You need to accept that at the level you are playing, barring crazy reads, people are not getting into a metagame-like psychology of betting you off of your high cards on ragged flops. They hit the flop. You are a dog. Stop investing money, period. You are more than a 70% dog to the range of hands villain has assuming he hits the flop and bets into you. Investing an extra SB to the river makes zero sense, because you're a dog going into the river. Furtermore, you have zero folding equity against these kinds of opponents.

NOW, I can actually think of an individual instance where this was right. HOWEVER, I had pegged a specific read on the villain that he bet AK or some other form of overcards OOP on a ragged board. He bet out of the small blind twice on ragged flops, I popped him with whatever I was holding, and he insta-folded.

But unless you figure out something on this villain over the course of more hands, this is villain's thinking: "Me hit flop. Me bet. Me call down if raised".

Duerig
05-30-2005, 08:32 AM
hand 1: I bet

hand 2: I would just call the flop, but the way you played it I think you should fold the turn.