PDA

View Full Version : Ace "some kicker" - Ulysses Redux

PokerBabe(aka)
12-18-2002, 11:23 PM
Somewhat loose 15-30 at Bellagio today. Babe has been playing more suited connectors and suited Aces due to the game texture. A solid (but tricky) local pro (TLP) raises 4th in. Called by c/o who is a player who overvalues small pairs. Babe is on the button with A,10 /forums/images/icons/heart.gif and calls. BB, who is a calling station who is losing calls. 4 to the flop of A /forums/images/icons/club.gif 7 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif 2 /forums/images/icons/spade.gif . BB bets out, called by TLP and c/o folds. I raise and both BB and TLP call /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif Turn is a 6 /forums/images/icons/heart.gif Checked "to the raiser" and I bet /forums/images/icons/cool.gif - called X 2 /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif River is 4 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif Checked to the Babe who bets and am still called x 2. There is a little hesitation, but finally the TLP turns over A /forums/images/icons/spade.gif 8 /forums/images/icons/heart.gif , then the BB says "Oh, I can beat that" and shows A /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif 9 /forums/images/icons/spade.gif . And with no auditory signal, the Babe shows the monster 10 kicker /forums/images/icons/wink.gif /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

M.B.E.
12-19-2002, 06:49 PM
Babe -- nice hand. Why did you bet the river? I'm not saying it was wrong but I'm curious about it. Presumably it was a value bet; how did you know you were best?

Noo Yawk
12-19-2002, 07:42 PM
I think you did well here all the way through. My only critisism would be calling a raise with A-10 suited from what you describe as a solid pro. This could cost you in the long run.
But the fact that you were not raised on the turn tells me that you read the situation well, and made a good river bet.
You played good and , most important, looked good doing it /forums/images/icons/wink.gif !

Tommy Angelo
12-19-2002, 10:02 PM
"Babe has been playing more suited connectors and suited Aces due to the game texture."

And Tommy has a weak spot for Babes who do the third-person self-referential thing.

Very Ni Han. Barring a reliable physical tell on the turn that someone really liked the idea of checkcalling the turn and river with a big ace, I would have bet the river too, as you did, employing the old "If that river card hit you, then melly kleesmus, take it," or "Since you forgot to bet, I will."

Tommy

PokerBabe(aka)
12-20-2002, 12:09 AM
Hi MBE- The TLP here is tricky but not passive, and the BB is more aggressive than his skill level warrants. Under these circumstances, when both check/called the turn, I felt comfortable betting the river. I would have heard from a better hand on the turn. Thanks for the comments. LGPG, Babe /forums/images/icons/heart.gif

PokerBabe(aka)
12-20-2002, 12:13 AM
Noo- I would not "routinely" make this play of calling a raise with A,10 any more than my TLP would "routinely" raise with A,8 offsuit with the Babe behind him /forums/images/icons/wink.gif Poker is such a situational situation, yes? LGPG, Babe /forums/images/icons/heart.gif

PokerBabe(aka)
12-20-2002, 12:16 AM
Exactly. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif Luv You Best, Babe /forums/images/icons/heart.gif

bernie
12-20-2002, 01:40 AM
their calls of the flop raise and the turn bet tell you all you need to know to bet the river....youd have heard from AJ or better by then...

b

Mason Malmuth
12-20-2002, 01:48 AM
Hi Noo Yawk:

I agree. Calling with the ATs is very questionable. I bet the Babe would quickly fold ace-ten offsuit in this spot, so the question is whether having this hand suited makes it significantly better and thus warrants a call. I think the answer lies in the description of the opening raiser who Babe describes as tough and tricky. If that's the case, even though he can be a little too loose, you (and that means you Babe as well as the rest of us) should play less hands, not more.

Best wishes,
Mason

mikelow
12-20-2002, 11:29 AM
My approach has been to play some more hands and try to outplay on the flop and beyond.

Is this a losing strategy?

PokerBabe(aka)
12-20-2002, 01:15 PM
Hi Mason. You are certainly correct that calling raises with inadequate hand values is an error. You are also correct that I would not have called if unsuited and that suited here is somewhat moot. But, wouldn't it also be an error to fold 100% of the time vs. a player who raises light and is out of position?. /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif Thanks, Mason for keeping the Babe on track. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif Happy Holidays and hope to see you soon. Babe /forums/images/icons/heart.gif

PseudoPserious
12-20-2002, 02:59 PM
Why did TLP show his hand first? Isn't it 'ladies first' or 'the person who bets shows first'?

PP

PokerBabe(aka)
12-20-2002, 03:40 PM
Yes, the TLP obviously thought his hand was good when the Babe hesitated to show. You are correct that I should have shown first since I was called, but in this case, I wanted to see what TLP was playing and my hesitation was successful. BB, who I said was "overly aggressive" then piped in thinking HIS hand was good and your heroine takes the pot. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif LGPG and keep on those details. Babe /forums/images/icons/heart.gif

Mason Malmuth
12-20-2002, 04:03 PM
If he tends to raise light, you should consider making it three bets. but you also stated that he can be very tricky from the flop on. If that's the case, it can more than make up for his raising light and you should consider folding.

It really all depends on how these attributes come together. If he is only a little too loose, but plays his hands very well, it's probably a clear fold. If he is much too loose and only occasionally tricky, then you should definitely play and probably reraise.

MM