PDA

View Full Version : Did you even know the French Open is going on? (Tennis)

ClaytonN
05-29-2005, 10:38 PM
Just wondering...

tbach24
05-29-2005, 10:40 PM
Anyone who goes to a sports.yahoo.com or espn.com would have to know this.

kerssens
05-29-2005, 10:44 PM
I know its going on but when it comes on SportCenter I usually tune it out...don't really care.

partygirluk
05-29-2005, 10:46 PM
How big is The British Open (Wimbledon) in the States?

Patrick del Poker Grande
05-29-2005, 10:48 PM
It's as big as tennis, which is to say it's somewhat big, but I think you'll find that most of the people here (OOT) ignore it. The French gets the least attention because Americans tend not to do very well there - we don't give two shits about clay. Americans do far better at Wimbledon, so it holds our attention a little better.

gumpzilla
05-29-2005, 10:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The French gets the least attention because Americans tend not to do very well there

[/ QUOTE ]

True, but I'd say people probably pay even less attention to the Australian. The French at least as its own distinctive flavor.

Patrick del Poker Grande
05-29-2005, 10:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The French gets the least attention because Americans tend not to do very well there

[/ QUOTE ]

True, but I'd say people probably pay even less attention to the Australian. The French at least as its own distinctive flavor.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, there's definitely a distinct gap between the US Open and Wimbledon and then the Australian and French. the US Open and Wimbledon get similar amounts of attention, maybe the US Open is 1a and Wimbledon 1b, then a significant fall off to the Australian and French. I think it goes back and forth between those two as far as which gets the least interest. The Australian has a more severe time zone problem for major network coverage in addition to gumpzilla's mention of how similar it is to the US Open in surface and style of play.

CallMeIshmael
05-29-2005, 10:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Is it known as the British Open in the UK?

Here (im Canadian, but in America as well) it is called Wimbledon like 100% of the the time.

ClaytonN
05-29-2005, 11:06 PM
I was wondering that, as well. British Open?

edtost
05-30-2005, 02:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I was wondering that, as well. British Open?

[/ QUOTE ]

...would refer to the open championship (golf).

tworooks
05-30-2005, 02:50 PM
only reason i know about it is because of sharapova.

mmbt0ne
05-30-2005, 03:09 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />
It's as big as tennis, which is to say it's somewhat big, but I think you'll find that most of the people here (OOT) ignore it. The French gets the least attention because Americans tend not to do very well there - we don't give two shits about clay. Americans do far better at Wimbledon, so it holds our attention a little better.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is pretty much correct. I think you'll get more interest in the French than the Australian though.

I watch all of them, probably because I've been living with/working around tennis players for most of the last 3 years, so it just kind of grows on me. I will say that I don't understand near as much about the clay game as I do about hardcourt and grass, but it's still fun to watch. Now if only someone here could learn how to play on it.

Bez
05-30-2005, 03:12 PM
Normally called Wimbledon.

BeerMoney
05-30-2005, 03:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wimbledon used to be huge.. At least it seemed that way.. Back when Boris Becker won it and earlier... It's sort of lost a little with the new racquets I think. Too much of a power game.

I love watching tennis majors. They are the best covered sports events on TV. You either have John McEnroe or Patrick McEnroe doing a lot of the announcing, and both are fantastic.. (Patrick's somewhat better though.)

Dynasty
05-30-2005, 03:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wimbledon used to be huge..

[/ QUOTE ]

Winbledon was great when it was covered by HBO They did an awesome job.

partygirluk
05-30-2005, 03:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Is it known as the British Open in the UK?

Here (im Canadian, but in America as well) it is called Wimbledon like 100% of the the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Called Wimbledon 100% of the time here. Thought it was just a local thing. Major in France = French Open. Major in US = US Open. Major is Australia = Australian Open. Major in Britain = Wimbledon /images/graemlins/confused.gif

TimTimSalabim
05-30-2005, 03:44 PM
Tennis jumped the shark years ago. Poker gets more coverage on the sports channels.

Dynasty
05-30-2005, 03:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Tennis jumped the shark years ago. Poker gets more coverage on the sports channels.

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't even know what jumping the shark means, do you?

TimTimSalabim
05-30-2005, 03:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't even know what jumping the shark means, do you?

[/ QUOTE ]

I do, I just enjoy using the term incorrectly /images/graemlins/crazy.gif.

ClaytonN
05-30-2005, 06:24 PM
Wimbledon used to be a lot more interesting with the net rushers. Made for better and more interesting points.

Now, Henman is the only net rusher in the top 20. Everybody else just stays at the baseline. Some, like Federer, mix it up.

But watching Rafter vs. Sampras was SO much better than watching, say, Roddick vs. Safin.

Clarkmeister
05-30-2005, 06:28 PM
Left out "I know, but I don't care"