PDA

View Full Version : Handling AQ from EP

Skip Brutale
05-29-2005, 10:32 PM
At a typical table and offsuit. Harrington on Hold'em Advises 80% raises and 20% calls. Isnt the general consensus around here to call with it to bring in Ax? I guess an advantage to raising is you can win unimproved if you get the pot headsup and it'll be easier to know when someone has AK or QQ-AA behind you.

I could go either way, what do you guys think.

wegs the wegs
05-29-2005, 10:46 PM
Were are you getting this from? I know he makes the same claim for pocket aces early, using the second hand on the watch for an indicator. This was in HoH vol. 1 but maybe he says the same about AK or AQ.

[ QUOTE ]
I guess an advantage to raising is you can win unimproved if you get the pot headsup and it'll be easier to know when someone has AK or QQ-AA behind you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really don't understand this thought. Raising and getting called could really mean anything at a loose table but getting called at a tight table could mean anything. Either way being first to act on the flop can be very very tricky with AQ.

stu-unger
05-29-2005, 10:50 PM
im not sure anything im gonna say will answer your question but i was thinking about posting something real similiar, and this seems like the place to do it to not take up too much space. i personally agree with limping commonly with it, to show that im capable of limping with strength in EP. what i've been doing and im not sure if is plain insanity or just creative, is pounding with this and big slick from any position lately. also contantly re-raising and limp raising from EP. the value to me seems to be if any card that helps me hits i win the pot outright and have been taking pretty much all others that my opponent doesnt hit his big set. i really have been trying a lot of new things and they've been working but i fear its temporary. but given the fact that im pretty lag i guess im just trying to keep people guessing. any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

ryanghall
05-29-2005, 11:01 PM
Cash games are not tournaments.

I don't recommend raising AQo in EP very often at all. On a full NL table, folding AQo UTG and UTG+1 isn't awful at the low limits. In fact, it's probably profitable for most people.

Ryan

allintuit
05-30-2005, 12:06 AM
I never trust a set in stone strategy like the one presented by Harrington. With AQo, I don't like raising too much, because of the possibility of domination, especially at lower limit games. I would put the percentages more around 70% raising, and 30% calling. Also, I think that AQo, more than almost any other hand is affected by position. In early position, I think that AQ is a money loser in a tough game, while in late position, it is extremely strong. Just my thoughts on this...

Skip Brutale
05-30-2005, 01:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Were are you getting this from? I know he makes the same claim for pocket aces early, using the second hand on the watch for an indicator. This was in HoH vol. 1 but maybe he says the same about AK or AQ.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is in Harrington on Hold'em. Go to the opening the pot standards and under AK and AQ this is his advise.

As for my comment regarding it being easier to tell the strength of your opponents hand if you raise, I mean if they have AK or QQ-AA they will probably re-raise you. If you just call and they raise the margin of hands they could be holding is larger.

Skip Brutale
05-30-2005, 01:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Cash games are not tournaments.

I don't recommend raising AQo in EP very often at all. On a full NL table, folding AQo UTG and UTG+1 isn't awful at the low limits. In fact, it's probably profitable for most people.

Ryan

[/ QUOTE ]

Sine his starting hand section is for a full-table with everyone having an adequate stack compared to the blinds, is it really that much different than a cash game?