PDA

View Full Version : 2/4 Limit Hold'em Hand (was I too aggressive?)

popesc
05-29-2005, 09:02 PM
I have recently moved up to 2/4 limit hold'em. I have been winning 3BB/hour for the past 12K hands at 1/2 and feel ready for the move, but I'm not sure I've figured 2/4 out yet.

The opponent in the hand has a VP$IP of 30% and preflop raises 7.5% of the time. How bad was my play? What would be a better line?

PokerStars 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with J/images/graemlins/heart.gif, T/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG+2 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (4 SB) 6/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB folds, BB folds, UTG+2 calls.

Turn: (4 BB) 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG+2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+2 calls.

River: (6 BB) 3/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG+2 checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 6 BB

csuf_gambler
05-29-2005, 10:25 PM
im no expert but isn't this a easy fold on the flop

cheapsuit
05-30-2005, 01:14 AM
i disagree. there is no proof that the opponent is holding a q. just because he bets on the flop doesnt mean he has top pair.

it was a good play raising the flop, this way you protected your hand and represented the q. then you also bet the turn, which was good for the same reason.

i dont know if checking the river was the best play though. if villian was willing to call you down to the river, he probably would have paid a bet for the showdown. being that he stopped showing aggression after the flop, you very well could have had him beat. maybe he had something like A6s or 88.

also, if he did in fact have the q he was obviously scared that you had maybe 2 pair or had him outkicked or something. in this case, checking the showdown made it absolutely impossible for you to win the hand. even if you were beat by the river, betting at villian might have caused him to fold the best hand. if you were beat, then you would be making a 1bb bet to get him to fold in order to win 6bb (that is definitely a feasible ratio).

agression is always the best strategy. but just make sure you conceptually understand the difference between aggressive and loose. not will cost you heavily.

mscags
05-30-2005, 01:44 AM
Post this in micro, but is an easy fold imo unless you have a great read on the villain.

Rozez
05-30-2005, 06:14 AM
IMO, you can't always fold on the flop with middle pair, especially if you have a good kicker. It's important to play tight, but when you have a good hand you have to protect it with a raise just like cheapsuit said! If you fold, you may be folding the best hand which is the biggest mistake you can do in poker. Being constantly afraid of a better hand when you hold a good hand will prove costly in the long run.
Rozez

Dariel86
05-30-2005, 06:27 AM
MAN, are you dating twins??!

Equal
05-30-2005, 07:48 AM
Perfectly played on every street. When he calls on the turn, you knwo that a river bet is futile as he has demonstrated he is not going to fold a better hand.

Can you bet the river for value? There's not many worse hands that will call here, and I'd have to leave that decision to your read.