PDA

View Full Version : Deep in MTT's with around 10-12 bb and hand from Party 250k guarantee

sapster
05-29-2005, 08:31 PM
Lately I've decided to play some of the bigger online mtt's on party and stars and am getting into ugly spots when its later in the tournament, the blinds keep increasing, and I have around 10-13 bb. For example, in the 250k guaranteed I had a stack of around 11 bb's with 250ish remaining, 180 make the money. It's folded to me in the cutoff with ajo, I considered raising 2.5bb and folding to a reraise from the blinds which both had me covered, pushing, and even folding. Is there an easy way to figure out how much equity I have in these situations vs unknown opponents, can a program easily do this? What are the worst hands that you will still autopush from button or cutoff when you are almost a shortstack. Sorry this is kind of a long post but this is a part of my game that is lacking.

Eihli
05-29-2005, 08:48 PM
Sounds a lot like my problem. I've decided the best way for me to play these situations is to push.

betgo
05-29-2005, 09:16 PM
In this situation you should push. If you raise 2.5xBB, you should call a reraise rather than fold. At that point, you are getting good pot odds and you could be ahead or even with AJ.

There are other ways of playing it, but with 11xBB it is EV+ to open push from the button with any pair, two face cards, etc.

With 11xBB from early position you should play very tight. If you are going to play a hand, you should usually limp or maybe miniraise.

sapster
05-29-2005, 10:48 PM
I lost this hand to Aqo, not trying to be results oriented and I don't like his call, but how do I decide in tougher situations, I agree that I was correct to push here although I'd be interested to hear other arguments. What about tougher situations, how do you tournament pros figure out how to play even more marginal situations like 10 big blinds left with either 88 in mp here or a9s here instead, any insight would be appreciated.

bruce
05-30-2005, 05:24 AM
If you're not sure what to do in a close spot I doubt you
can be too far from wrong by pushing. I have a simple
motto, if in doubt shove them all in. With all the boneheads online this is either good strategy or can't
be too wrong.

Bruce

stone_7
05-30-2005, 01:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Sounds a lot like my problem. I've decided the best way for me to play these situations is to push.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like this line too. When I get short and am not sure about a push I look in tournament poker for advanced players and use the system to determine if I should push. When you are short enough you have to make play youy would never make in a cash game or if you had lots of chips.

THATWACOKID
05-30-2005, 03:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
With 11xBB from early position you should play very tight. If you are going to play a hand, you should usually limp or maybe miniraise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Only limping and minraising seems strange to me. Whenever I see around a 10bb short stack do this I'll raise with a lot of hands and I see others also do it a lot. Could you go into more depth on this or maybe recommend an old post. Thanks.

betgo
05-30-2005, 07:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Only limping and minraising seems strange to me. Whenever I see around a 10bb short stack do this I'll raise with a lot of hands and I see others also do it a lot. Could you go into more depth on this or maybe recommend an old post. Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Say you have AJ UTG and 11xBB. If you raise 3-4xBB, you are pot committed to calling a reraise, so it is almost the same as pushing. Now you are just not getting the odds to push with AJ UTG. The blinds you pick up aren't worth the risk of losing your 11xBB to a bigger hand. Now if you raise and fold to a reraise you are just throwing away your money. The same goes for small or medium pairs or a lot of other hands.

If you get AA or KK UTG, if you push or put in a standard raise that pot commits you, you are likely to just pick up the blinds. So you are better off limping or miniraising and hoping someone thinks you have AJ or 77 and will fold to a raise.

Limping or miniraising may not be great, but the other alternative is to fold. You are just losing chips putting in standard raises or pushes from early position with like 11xBB, unless you have AQ, TT or better.