PDA

View Full Version : How To Deal With Good Maniacal Aggressive Players

Qcity
05-29-2005, 07:56 PM
I am generally a tight/aggressive or medium/aggressive tourney player and have done really well lately on online MTT tourneys. I have a good sense of when to call, fold and bluff. Lately it seems like a lot of people are playing against me super-aggressive and coming over the top of me with nothinng, and often times beating me. Often times they will come over the top without fold equity, for example I'll raise 20,000 chips with JJ, then someone will rereaise me all-in just 5,000 chips more with KJ. They of course catch a king and knock me down to a short stack. I have had good players making this horrible move against me lately.

I don't like coin flips or showdown situations. I am a player who likes to take pots down because when the other player folds its 100% favorite, AA and QQ is 82% favorite on comparison. But when I try to take a pot down with what I think is the best hand, people keep raising me over the top with a weaker hand. Often times I win it, and sometimes I lose, but I'd rather not get in this situation in the first place. Some examples from one tourney:

- Saturday in 30k rebuy on Paradise Poker. There about 60 people left and I have 40,000 chips (blinds are 3,000). Everyone folds up to me at middle position, I have 5/5 and I double blind raise to try to win blinds. Small blind with large chip stack calls (80,000 chips). Flop comes J 10 and 4 with two diamonds. He checks so I try to buy pot there, but which puts me down to 12,000 chips left. He reraised me all in. My hand is weak but if I surrender the pot I'd be crippled with very short chip stack. I figure I have to call. He shows 58 of diamonds with flush draw, my fives hold up and I double up to 80,000 chips.

- In same tourney few minutes later. 40 people left and I have 80,000 chips. I raise early positon with 10/10. Haligon, with same amount of chips, reraises me double in middle position. I smooth call figuring he might have bigger pair but worth to see flop. Flop comes three rags and I have top pair with tens. I lead out and bet continuation bet trying to take pot there. He comes over the top all in. I have good pot odds to call and a decent hand, but if I lose, either because he outdraws me or has a better hand, I'm out of tourney. I don't like to be put in this position, I like to be the one putting people in this position. I can go either way but decide to call. He shows AJ and the tens hold up. I double up and am chip leader.

- In same tourney I keep chip lead throughout rest of tourney, now we are down two players, me and Haligon. Haligon made a miracle come back after I put him down to 3,000 chips (blinds were 4,000) and we both have even chip stacks of 800,000. He is still playing very aggressive and I am waiting for big hand to take him down. I look down at AK on small blind and limp in. Flip comes A84 with three diamonds. I have top pair with top kicker heads up, but no diamonds. I make large double pot size bet, and he reraises me all-in. This is an easy call for me with his play style, pot size and my hand. He shows Q of spades and 6 of diamonds. He catches a diamond on river and wins tourney.

That was a horrible play in my opinion because I was showing good strength with big bet so he had little fold equity, and also his out, just a 6 of diamond, wasn't much of an out since I could have very likely had bigger flush draw. He could have easily been drawing dead. In his position, his odds of winning with that play (not knowing my hand) were probably onl 25% including fold equity. Horrible play.

In the above tourney, I won second place in part because of calling down bluffs. But it could have just as easily knocked me out with multiple showdown draw situations, which I try to avoid, and it did cost me first place at the end when I am a player who always wins second or third and never first (same day other tourney for WSOP qualifier I took second). I was really hoping to break my streak and win first in one of them.

I understand the move to go all in with just some kind of draw, I do it myself sometimes. But it is a very situational move. But why does everyone seem to be doing it and especially against me. Maybe because I play aggressive and create big pots, that it entices these people to play back at me.

What is the solution in dealing with these people? Is it to play passive against these people, showing weakness with decent hand, just checking and calling. Then if they show weakness hammer back at them, or just call them down to river and showdown? Often times this isn't an option in MTT's because blinds are so big that it puts both players all in to play a hand.

However if I play passive against these aggressive players, I feel like they are taking me out of my game which has been successful for me. Comments? Advice?

dan123
05-29-2005, 08:34 PM
smd

regular
05-29-2005, 08:43 PM
You seemed like you played it right, but I don't think there are really any solid defenses against luck. The favorite doesn't always win.

ThrillFactor
05-29-2005, 08:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
... people keep raising me over the top with a weaker hand. Often times I win it, and sometimes I lose, but I'd rather not get in this situation in the first place...

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, but that's as far as I got.

Not trying to be the ass here, but if you can't see the flawed logic in that statement, then tournament poker just isn't for you.

If the rest of the post is just a series of bad-beat examples, you're not going to get a lot of sympathy here. If there's more substance that that, then my apologies. Others here can give much better advise than I as to playing specific hands.

But bottom line friend, any time that someone wants to come over the top of your bet or raise with an inferior hand, offer a toast to the poker gods and take their chips.

Qcity
05-29-2005, 09:17 PM
The point of the post isn't about bad beats, it's about avoiding showdown situations and avoiding getting rereaised over the top by over-aggressive players (many times they have the best hand too, not just me). I seem to be getting reraised a lot, more than before, and I am wondering why that is and how to avoid it. It is important to avoid showdown situations in tourneys, even when you are the favorite. For example you might get your chips in 3 times in a row with 3 to 1 odds favorites, but all it takes is too lose that one time to be busted out of the tourney. This is what a lot of people that keep getting busted out of tourney's by bad beats don't understand, it is a different principle than cash games. It's a reasonable topic and don't criticize my positing especially without even reading it.

This might have something to do with table image. Since I fold most pre-flop hands (I only see 15-20% of flops on average) people might think of me as a rock and they can just come over the top of me and buy pots.

Qcity
05-29-2005, 09:44 PM
What does smd stand for?

ThrillFactor
05-29-2005, 09:59 PM
I feel your frustration, but this:

[ QUOTE ]
It is important to avoid showdown situations in tourneys, even when you are the favorite.

[/ QUOTE ]

is absurd thinking.

[ QUOTE ]
For example you might get your chips in 3 times in a row with 3 to 1 odds favorites, but all it takes is too lose that one time to be busted out of the tourney. This is what a lot of people that keep getting busted out of tourney's by bad beats don't understand...

[/ QUOTE ]

Flawed, flawed, FLAWED!

But as for the rest, if you insist...

Hand 1: Preflop min-raise was bad unless you can absolutely guarantee me that this was the table standard for stealing. But I have serious doubts. You massively overbet the flop with a hand that may only have two outs leaving yourself no escape route. Your opponent, in an equally bad play, checkraises all-in with zero FE on a weak flush draw. You call as you obviously should at this point and win a true 50/50.

Hand 2: Preflop you put your opponent on a "bigger pair" but after the flop apparently change your mind and decide to play for all your chips. See this (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=2447798&page=&view=&s b=5&o=) post Section II-A. He goes all-in as a 3 to 1 dog and you win. NH! What are you complaining about. If you're worried about being put to that choice, but dammit you're going to call an all-in anyway, the just push the flop /images/graemlins/confused.gif and be done with it.

Hand 3: You've already pegged him as a dummy so why not raise preflop and hope he repops you? Regardless, your big overbet on the flop screams I've got a good hand but all those damn diamonds scare me! He semi-bluffs all-in as a 2:1 dog. You call, he catches. Poker is gambling.

Yes you can make an argument that you'd rather play conservatively and try to get small chunks of his stack at a time. But as one of the more respected posters in this forum beat into my head months ago, at what point do you think you're going to have the opportunity to get all of his chips in one swoop at better odds? Just ain't going to happen. He's probably not going to have a hand to play back at you when you finally get AA. Or when you flop middle set. Or especially when you flop the nut-flush.

2 out of 3 tourneys you're cashing for first place money here. The other, for 2nd. Sounds like a win-win to me.

Welcome to the board, and again I'm not trying to come off badly here, though I may have. But if you stick around here long enough you'll see that many, if not most, of the successful posters here will gladly put all of there chips in play as a 55/45 favorite in nearly any situation. At 3:2 or better, they don't even blink.

Punker
05-29-2005, 10:09 PM
You post a long paragraph about how you want to avoid showdowns, etc.

Then you do the following:

1) Open raise to 2x the BB with 55. Bet 70% of your stack instead of all of it, forcing you to call for your remaining chips.

2) You pick up TT and call a raise preflop. You then somehow make a "continuation bet" of his preflop raise, and when he raises all in, you call.

3) You get AK and limp in.

In every one of these hands, you played super passive preflop. If you don't want people coming over the top of you, don't play like a wimp and make them think they can do it.

With that said, I agree with the other posters; if you can get a player to come over the top of you with worse (in some cases much worse) hands, you shouldn't be complaining. I don't actually mind how you played any of these hands really, but you seem to.

Give players a reason to think you have a good hand, and they won't come over the top of you so much. You are not doing that, and therefore, they are doing it.

Qcity
05-29-2005, 10:24 PM
Thanks for the great reply.

We just have a difference of opinion as far as showdowns go. I want to take down pots 70-90% of the time without showdowns, even when some of those times I have a far better hand.

Hand 1 - this is a move I do at times and is very profitable (I keep track in a journal). I got in far deeper here than I usually do with this move and I was lucky to get out alive.

Hand 2 - the problem with this hand was that he played back at me two times with AJ, both preflop and after the flop, when he should have folded both times. I wanted to take down the pot preflop, and then flop with my continuation bet. I want to avoid players making this play on me.

Hand 3 - This guy is a very good player, not a dummy. He is first right now on the finals table at Masters on Paradise and I've seen him play before. He is just super aggressive.

With a player like that heads up, you can't hope to win by chipping away at him because he will win more small pots than you (since he is more aggerssive). You need one or two knock out punches and that is what I was trying to do with that AK.

Qcity
05-29-2005, 10:28 PM
Punker, on hand two I didn't call but put in a good raise preflop in early position and then he reraised me double. Maybe my raise could have been larger to scare out this kind of play, but not prudent in early positionb with lots of players to act.

Punker
05-29-2005, 10:34 PM
The point remains that in all these hands, you made a passive action preflop. These passive actions entice others to come over the top of you, believing their fold equity is higher than it is.

Qcity
05-29-2005, 10:36 PM
Ah, I see, very good point.

ThrillFactor
05-29-2005, 10:53 PM
Good communication going now. Let's discuss:

[ QUOTE ]
We just have a difference of opinion as far as showdowns go. I want to take down pots 70-90% of the time without showdowns, even when some of those times I have a far better hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? What is your rational here? To lower your variance on selected hands? How can that lower your variance for the tourney when you are systematically depriving yourself of chips that are statistically yours?