PDA

View Full Version : 5 key hands - Party Step 6 WSOP

Morningside
05-29-2005, 07:45 PM
1st gets $10K WSOP entry, 2nd and 3rd get another try at this step level, 4th and 5th move down to level 5...

Please find my mistakes.

Some interesting opponents:

- "superbot" - multitables $1K and $2K wsop steps all day. The group of railbirds who follow him around in the chat are convinced he's a bot. His system, which along with his bankroll earned him the conspiracy theories, is simple: he folds every hand until the 3rd level, then either folds or moves in. (Though i once saw him limp AA in ep in an early round.) Also automatically comes over the top with AQs and the like, regardless of the situation.

- "bigstepregular" - noticed him playing in other $2K steps, buying in directly as opposed to grinding his way up Party's step ladder.

- "bad call" - was co-tabled with him in 2 earlier $2K steps. Defends virtually all blind steals where he has stealer covered. Once said in chat "this is a bad call" before calling with 74o getting very thin pot odds halfway through the tournament (he was 2nd in chips, stealer was 3rd).

Note: Finishing below 5th and earning a consolation prize "free roll" into the $500 Step 4 is slightly less valuable to me because I don't always get to play poker much. I may not find the time to grind my way back in time for the WSOP. So I am playing this slightly fast.

Hand #1
7 players remain, I'm grinded down to around 550 with blinds at 50/100, I push from the button with Q7o. SB "bad call" has 1700, BB ("superbot") has 450 after posting.

Automatic push, right? Even with bad call sitting the SB waiting to pick me off? BB was getting 1.3 to 1.

Fold, fold. Up to 700

100/200 blinds now, 6 remain.
Chipleader (2100) who hasnt missed many chances to raise since the blinds went up 4 hands ago, but doesn't seem super aggressive, makes it 700 from CO.

I push in my remaining 786 from SB w/ A8s.

Is my push standard, or too impatient? I was getting 1.4 to 1 with the small blind coming up which would have left me with 686. He was raising enough that I put the bottom end of his range at around K2o, T8s, etc.

He has A5s , we tie, stack is now at 936.

I wasn't in this hand but it was informative.

Still at 100/200 blinds. UTG+1 ("bigstepregular") (2650) miniraises to 425, MP (1900) re-raises to just 900, ("bigstepregular") calls.

Flop: K84 no flush draw, bigstepreg checks, MP bets just 400, big step raises all in, MP calls off his last 600 with AQs. Bigstepreg takes it with JJ.

Weak play by both?

Last hand at 100/200.
Bigstepregular (way ahead with 4844) now limps UTG for 200. Other short stack who I'm basically tied with folds. The 2nd biggest stack is the SB who has 1820. The BB has 1430.

I pause and decide I am not going to let his strange play make me overthink this. I move in for 936 with ATs.

He was limping with 88 5-handed. (?)

[Later, I make it down to heads-up vs bigstepregular and we both play carefully for the first 4 hands with the blinds at 200 at 400. He has already folded the SB twice, I've folded it once and stole the other time with a 3.5x raise.]

Then, with the blinds about to go up, I'm dealt JJ in the SB. He has 5625, I have 4375.

I know moving in is usually correct, but would you ever raise less here, and how much?

My image in this step is not super aggressive so I'm afraid he might even consider folding, say, a weak ace if I push.

durron597
05-29-2005, 07:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Then, with the blinds about to go up, I'm dealt JJ. He has 5625, I have 4375.

I know moving in is usually correct, but would you ever raise less here, and how much?

My image in this step is not super aggressive so I'm afraid he might even consider folding, say, a weak ace if I push.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just raise to 3.5xBB like you did the last time you raised, and call a push. If he just calls, play poker on the flop.

Shilly
05-29-2005, 08:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Then, with the blinds about to go up, I'm dealt JJ. He has 5625, I have 4375.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just raise to 3.5xBB like you did the last time you raised, and call a push. If he just calls, play poker on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like this line too. Still gives him room to move in on you (which I think you want in this spot), but makes it very hard to just call out of position.

scdavis0
05-30-2005, 03:33 AM
Given your read and HU history to this point I feel the JJ hand is a very clear limp. A regular in that game will not be overly suspicious of your limp there and may push all in with a lot of different hands.

If he just checks, then play some poker. You may stack him yet.