PDA

View Full Version : Decorating law office, want something poker related to put up...

elonkra
05-29-2005, 07:43 PM
...just graduated from law school and landed my first real job, have a nice office that I'm in the process of decorating. I'd like to find one poker-related piece to put in there, whether it be a paperweight, bookend, container, photo, painting, or picture. I'd imagine it needs to be something rather small/subtle, for a number of reasons. Wanted to know if (1) any of you guys have any great ideas; or (2) think it'd be a turnoff for the average layman to walk into his lawyer's office and see something poker-related adorning the walls/shelves.

Thanks in advance.

Patrick del Poker Grande
05-29-2005, 07:44 PM
I'd skip this one.

mostsmooth
05-29-2005, 07:44 PM
get the painting of the dogs playing poker

durron597
05-29-2005, 07:49 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=10908&item=6182664 116&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

goofball
05-29-2005, 08:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

jakethebake
05-29-2005, 08:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

OtisTheMarsupial
05-29-2005, 08:16 PM
There was a recent article in one of the ABA magazines about poker and lawyers.

Anyway, I say keep a chip collection on display.

slickpoppa
05-29-2005, 08:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate just quoting other people's ideas, but I think this is great idea given the criteria that you stated.

somethingstupid
05-29-2005, 08:20 PM
How about a plaque that says "world's greatest dad." How do you spell plaque?

bernie
05-29-2005, 08:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
...just graduated from law school and landed my first real job, have a nice office that I'm in the process of decorating. I'd like to find one poker-related piece to put in there, whether it be a paperweight, bookend, container, photo, painting, or picture. I'd imagine it needs to be something rather small/subtle, for a number of reasons. Wanted to know if (1) any of you guys have any great ideas; or (2) think it'd be a turnoff for the average layman to walk into his lawyer's office and see something poker-related adorning the walls/shelves.

Thanks in advance.

[/ QUOTE ]

Depending on what type of law you're practicing, but I'm not sure how the average person would view that their lawyer has a penchant for 'gambling'. Put yourself in your average clients shoes. Kind of like how you put yourself into your opponents shoes...

b

elonkra
05-29-2005, 08:35 PM
65% insurance defense, but general practice as well. No telling who or what will walk in my office on any given day. I've had the dogs playing poker mural in my rental houses throughout college and was looking for something different. The ebay link w/the paperweight is kind of cool. Thanks for all of the responses.

jakethebake
05-29-2005, 08:37 PM
do a search for poker under memorabilia on ebay. there's tons of cool stuff there.

gorie
05-29-2005, 08:39 PM
just hang a fish on the wall.

Patrick del Poker Grande
05-29-2005, 08:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
just hang a fish on the wall.

[/ QUOTE ]
Best yet.

jakethebake
05-29-2005, 08:46 PM
Every law office should have one of THESE. (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=573&item=577750148 4&rd=1)

gorie
05-29-2005, 09:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Every law office should have one of THESE. (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=573&item=577750148 4&rd=1)

[/ QUOTE ]
i don't know why, but that really made me laugh.

edit: i had to look again. it's just as funny the second time!

youtalkfunny
05-29-2005, 09:47 PM
I've spent hours on this question (poker decor that doesn't look tacky), decorating an office in my home.

I've come to the conclusion that it can't be done.

plaster8
05-30-2005, 04:28 AM
Does it have to be specifically poker? There's a lot of art out there incorporating cards and suits.
Here (http://www.allposters.com/gallery.asp?txtSearch=Spades&image1.x=5&image1.y=8 ) is one set I found online (scroll down to the bottom, and there are a couple of sets of prints).

At our house, we have two prints that look kind of like the King of Spades wall tapestry on that same page. (We have prints, though, not tapestries.) I have the King over my side of the bed, my wife has the Queen.

Anyway, I think they look good. Not hokey, something you could get away with in your office, I bet.

Anders_G
05-30-2005, 09:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

get anything but the painting of the dogs playing poker

elonkra
05-30-2005, 03:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Does it have to be specifically poker? There's a lot of art out there incorporating cards and suits.
Here (http://www.allposters.com/gallery.asp?txtSearch=Spades&image1.x=5&image1.y=8 ) is one set I found online (scroll down to the bottom, and there are a couple of sets of prints).

At our house, we have two prints that look kind of like the King of Spades wall tapestry on that same page. (We have prints, though, not tapestries.) I have the King over my side of the bed, my wife has the Queen.

Anyway, I think they look good. Not hokey, something you could get away with in your office, I bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the link man. I hate the fact that most of the stuff on there is an 8 x 10 print, but there are a couple I like, including this one:

http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/Framed_Sets/P0304.jpg

Unfortunately, at $239.99, it might be a bit out of my price range. Especially in light of the fact that I have no idea how nice the framing and stuff is.

plaster8
05-30-2005, 03:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
There are a couple I like, including this one

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that's the best set on the site. But if you're unsure about the quality of framing, etc. (I would be too, for that price), see what the return policy is. Or, if you have a Costco Home store anywhere near you, that's where I picked up the King and Queen prints, which are very nicely matted and framed. You might go check that out.

Even if they don't have those prints anymore, they may well have some different suits art. With the poker/gambling boom, everybody is trying to get in on it. I was in Fred Meyer the other day and they had several prints with gambling themes. I had never seen anything like that before at Fred Meyer. (Hell, you might check that out if price is a consideration. They won't be as nice as more expensive pieces, obviously, but I seem to remember there were a couple prints that were somewhat nice. Not at all like the "Texas Hold'Em" boxers that were displayed prominently near the store entrance. /images/graemlins/grin.gif)