PDA

View Full Version : which is the most important book on poker?

treeofwisdom7
05-29-2005, 04:43 PM

The Yugoslavian
05-29-2005, 04:45 PM
The one I'll write for Raptor/Usher....

The world won't know what hit 'em.

Yugoslav

jgunnip
05-29-2005, 04:48 PM
Out of this list, I've read TOP, HOH, HFAP, and have skimmed through Hellmuth's book and imo TOP is far more important than HOH since it covers a far larger scope than any of the other books on this list. Hellmuth's book speaks for itself.

treeofwisdom7
05-29-2005, 04:51 PM
Note* if you do choose other please list the book .

FieryJustice
05-29-2005, 05:02 PM
Really, all the ones listed are worth reading except supersystem and hellmuths book.

treeofwisdom7
05-29-2005, 06:00 PM
i think i should read TOP. now i wish i didnt read SS first. i think it cost me $

BUMP

Voltron87
05-29-2005, 06:05 PM
ive read ken warrens book and supersystem II. thats all. i think ive picked up all of sklanskys stuff from reading this site.

Kanchi
I've only read Sklansky's Tournament Poker and Theory of
Poker. I think I've learned more from lurking the forums and reading posts/HH though.

durron597
[ QUOTE ]
i think i should read TOP. now i wish i didnt read SS first. i think it cost me $

BUMP

[/ QUOTE ]

These poll results are correct. TOP is the most important, with HEPFAP and HoH being very good but not as key. Hellmuth's book is useless.

Phoenix1010
05-29-2005, 06:11 PM
I've read them all, the poll results are correct. TOP is required reading, even for the seasoned pro. Hellmuth's book is widely recognized for the crap that it is, and Caro's is extremely overrated.

-Phoenix

rokstedy
05-29-2005, 06:15 PM
My other was Ed Millers book on Small Stakes Hold'em. Even though this is the SnG section, it's still the best book on poker I've ever read. The most useless books are the TJ Cloutier, Dougherty and McEvoy group. They should be forced to shampoo my crotch for making me buy those.

Bigwig
05-29-2005, 06:15 PM
I answered SuperSystem because the question was 'most important.' Their hasn't been a more 'important' book in poker history. However, Theory of Poker is the best.

Hellmuth's book sucks.

pergesu
05-29-2005, 06:22 PM
The Playboy with Evelyn Ng and Clonie Gowen is way more +EV than those books put together.

treeofwisdom7
05-29-2005, 06:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The Playboy with Evelyn Ng and Clonie Gowen is way more +EV than those books put together.

[/ QUOTE ]

are you serious ??? lol find me the link?

treeofwisdom7
05-29-2005, 06:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i thought i was gonna actually see some T&A.

AceCraig
05-29-2005, 07:15 PM
I agree, Ed Millers book on Small Stakes Hold'em is the best book for low limits sng or not

ReDeYES88
05-29-2005, 07:30 PM
TOP best
HOH damn good

Hellmouth horrid (although i'm glad that a ton of people read it)

One more to add, although it's not strictly a "poker" book, but Mason's Gambling Theory and Other Topics taught me a ton.

treeofwisdom7
05-29-2005, 08:45 PM
i think the worst players in poker are those who only read books like SS1/2 and Helmuths 'play poker like the pros'.. some books increase our EV because they make players play incorrect.

benfranklin
05-29-2005, 09:03 PM
Steve Badger says that the best book for O/8 players is the bible.

BradleyT
05-29-2005, 09:44 PM
SSHE has many great HE concepts in it. If you're able to parse out what can transitionally apply to NL and what only applies to limit it will greatly add to your game and your postflop skills.

On the list TOP/Phil respectively.

brian8065
05-29-2005, 11:13 PM
I have read them all, most several times.

If I was to talk to a true beginner, I would recommend Ken Warren's books. They are very basic.

Super System reads great. It is fun to read, but not as practical as the others.

Theory of Poker is fantastic for a more advanced player. If I was the editor, I would have told them to make it three times as long, with many more examples. The way it is right now, every word must be considered deeply. It must be read, and reread several times. It is my choice as the most important book.

It has by far the most useful content.

I just read Harrington's first book, and found it very helpfull. He strikes a good balance between Super Systems readability and The Theory of Pokers full content.

KJ o
05-30-2005, 03:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Which one? I have heard both TOP and HPFAP referred to as the bible, adn 'm sure others as well? /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

elonkra
05-30-2005, 03:22 AM
How much NLHE is in TOP?

jgunnip
05-30-2005, 11:48 AM
There are several NLHE examples in the book. But unlike SS1/2 the book is divided into topics (i.e. pot odds, the free card, slowplaying) and not by different games. Skalansky draws from the different games examples to make/support his points. You won't find a specific NLHE section if that's what you're looking for.

stupidsucker
05-30-2005, 11:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Which one? I have heard both TOP and HPFAP referred to as the bible, adn 'm sure others as well? /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

The bible refers to SS only to my knowledge. When it was written it was the bible of poker. SS is layed out into parts. Each part focuses on a different game.

gumpzilla
05-30-2005, 12:01 PM
I think it's far more likely that Badger is referring to the actual Holy Bible and not any particular poker book, given that he's talking about O/8 in particular, a game where a major component of it is getting in with huge draws and then just hoping they come in.

stupidsucker
05-30-2005, 12:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think it's far more likely that Badger is referring to the actual Holy Bible and not any particular poker book, given that he's talking about O/8 in particular, a game where a major component of it is getting in with huge draws and then just hoping they come in.

[/ QUOTE ]

This does make perfect sense, but I still felt the need to set the record straight on the bible of poker... If for no other reason then to find out if I am right. I dont like being wrong.

Page Jacobson
05-30-2005, 12:15 PM
I've improved my SnG play by reading this forum more than any of the books listed. (I haven't read them all but I have read TOP)

I would buy a book written by Irie, Citanul, Eastbay, and a few others if it was specifically written about SnG's.

Big Limpin'
05-30-2005, 12:17 PM
Yeah wheres Aleo's book?

MastiffPaul
05-30-2005, 05:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How much NLHE is in TOP?

[/ QUOTE ]

All of it.

Big Limpin'
05-30-2005, 05:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]