PDA

View Full Version : How much and when do you play?

marand
05-29-2005, 04:38 PM
Please only vote if you are playing for a living or make a significant part of your income from poker.

marand
05-29-2005, 04:48 PM
This is my first poll, hope I got it decent.

I have "played for a living" about 2 months so it's pretty new for me. I played 27k hands in april and about the same in may. With about 300 hands an hour it is only about 90 hours a month which is a pretty low "work load". I feel rather lazy for not playing more, but at the same time I think it takes a lot of energy to concentrate while playing.

I play almost every day and try to put in about 1000 hands a day. Maybe it is better to treat it like a "normal job" and only play 5 days a week?

I enjoy it most of the time, but sometimes it can get a little bit boring. (Guess playing for a few years can make it pretty boring?)

wheelz
05-29-2005, 05:07 PM
I just play whenever I feel like it... I don't know, I'm lucky I guess that I can sit and play for long stretches and not get burnt out easily. I always enjoy it though, even during the damn downswings.

[censored]
05-29-2005, 05:08 PM
I like poker when I am winning and I hate it when I am losing. So right now I hate it most of the time.

marand
05-29-2005, 05:14 PM
It must be nice to always enjoy it! Don't you feel you get tired when playing for long stretches? How many tables at a time do you play?

young nut
05-29-2005, 05:41 PM
I can sit and play at a live poker room table for hours on end, never getting tired or bored. But for some reason online playing I usually get bored after about 2-3 hours. I usually enjoy it most of the time, but during bad downswings it can get very stressful.

BottlesOf
05-29-2005, 05:56 PM
I like this poll b/c I didn't need to think about any of the questions.

10-20K every month.
I play about 26-28 days of the month so almost every day.
I enjoy myself the vast majority of the time when I play.

I have a regular job, but derive more income from poker.

Argus
05-29-2005, 06:22 PM
I just graduated college and am using poker to pay the bills until I find a "real job". Though I'm starting to think that maybe wearing pyjamas all day might be worth the -EV poker playing has compared to engineering. I play basically whenever I feel like it - about 15k hands a month. The length of my sessions and the number of days a week I play have a lot to do with my level of mental focus.

For this reason I usually play two short shifts a day - it lets me recharge my mind and make better decisions. It also helps me enjoy it more - the only time I don't enjoy poker is when I'm losing because I'm making bad decisions. Bad runs of cards don't get to me very much anymore, but feeling that I'm costing myself money through mistakes brings me down.

krishanleong
05-29-2005, 06:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]

10-20K every month.

[/ QUOTE ]

Same except 20K-30K.

Krishan

TStoneMBD
05-29-2005, 06:35 PM
40k for me.
poker is boring for the most part. i used to love it but i get bored of things very quickly.

ISF
05-29-2005, 07:16 PM
I prolly play about 20-25days a month for about 30k hands. I have a pretty demanding job that im starting to dislike, and as my poker income approaches that of my job im likeing it even less. It is still enjoyable most of the time, when its not I dont play.

ALL1N
05-29-2005, 10:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
poker is boring for the most part. i used to love it but i get bored of things very quickly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe, just maybe, 8-tabling (or whatever you're up to now) has something to do with it!

MAxx
05-30-2005, 12:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I like this poll b/c I didn't need to think about any of the questions.

10-20K every month.

[/ QUOTE ]

same here

TStoneMBD
05-30-2005, 07:36 AM
im only 4 tabling now, for this very reason. poker is a bit more enjoyable now but its not like i voluntarily put in 30 hours a week playing. i have to set a rigid schedule to follow otherwise id never get the hours in.

wheelz
05-30-2005, 09:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
It must be nice to always enjoy it! Don't you feel you get tired when playing for long stretches? How many tables at a time do you play?

[/ QUOTE ]

I usually play in like 1-2 hour bursts with breaks in between, so that helps. I used to play 3-4 tables, but now that I'm just starting 10/20 6-max on Party I've just been 2-tabling, so it's even easier.