PDA

View Full Version : Surfing

DBowling
05-29-2005, 01:08 PM
I want to learn how to surf. How do I? Is there a surf forum I should check out? Lessons? On my own?

tbach24
05-29-2005, 01:10 PM
Purely speculation:

I would try to find a dude who would give you surfing lessons. Like go to the beach and see a dude who looks friendly doing it. Or inquire via the Yellow Book or something. Yeah, lessons.

jakethebake
05-29-2005, 01:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I want to learn how to surf. How do I? Is there a surf forum I should check out? Lessons? On my own?

[/ QUOTE ]

Where do you live? I just kinda taught myself by watching other people. Get a surfboard then go out and watch how it's done. It's not that hard.

DBowling
05-29-2005, 01:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Where do you live? I just kinda taught myself by watching other people. Get a surfboard then go out and watch how it's done. It's not that hard.

[/ QUOTE ]

Orange County, CA. I would probably be surfing at Huntington Beach or Newport Beach. What type of board should I buy and how much should I be spending on it?

Emmitt2222
05-29-2005, 01:25 PM
I just got a book from the library and read it. Then I went out and practiced. When some other surfers saw me flailing around they gave me some tips, so its not too tough. Although I dont know if I will ever learn how to duckdive by reading.

jakethebake
05-29-2005, 01:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Orange County, CA. I would probably be surfing at Huntington Beach or Newport Beach. What type of board should I buy and how much should I be spending on it?

[/ QUOTE ]

No idea. It's been years since I learned or bought a board.

Emmitt2222
05-29-2005, 01:30 PM
I bought one for about $300 which is definitly on the cheap side for a new board, but perhaps you would like to look in to getting a used one. You could just ask surfers on the beach if they have old ones to sell or just give away.

My board is 8' which is basically a pansy board, not a long board because they are tough to manuever and not a short board because they are harder to get up on. Its the easiest length to learn on and then when you get better you can buy a new one either longer or shorter which I plan on doing soon.

stinkypete
05-29-2005, 01:32 PM
get sandy cohen to teach you

DBowling
05-29-2005, 01:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My board is 8' which is basically a pansy board, not a long board because they are tough to manuever and not a short board because they are harder to get up on. Its the easiest length to learn on and then when you get better you can buy a new one either longer or shorter which I plan on doing soon.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, i need a used pansy board.

DBowling
05-29-2005, 01:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Although I dont know if I will ever learn how to duckdive by reading.

[/ QUOTE ]

i dont know what duckdiving is, but i found this (http://www.surfing-waves.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2656). not sure if it helps you at all.

DBowling
05-29-2005, 01:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i have no idea who this is, but its probably a joke, right? Because if this person is famous enough that you would know him by name there's no way he would teach me, right? haha you are one funny person.

jakethebake
05-29-2005, 01:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this some great Jewish surfing legend?

bisonbison
05-29-2005, 01:58 PM
Surfardic Jew.

Aukai
05-29-2005, 02:18 PM
Your best bet would be to get some old longboard, and by all means, either find someone to teach you or pay for lessons. You could teach yourself, but it would take way longer and be much more frustrating. I've taught a bunch of people in my time, and they all were glad they gave up flailing around on their own and asked for help.

The hardest part IMO is not the actual surfing, but learning how to paddle, how to read waves, knowing where to take off, that sort of thing. That's where having someone knowledgeable with you will pay off. Figuring that kind of stuff on your own can take months.

Surfing is one of the greatest things in the world. Good luck.

gunt
05-29-2005, 03:01 PM
go to a local surf shop and rent a long board ( probably about $20 bucks for the day )Short boards are for more advanced surfers, you should start on a long board just to get used to paddling and standing up. Usually there are people in the surf shop who give lessons ( $50- $100? maybe). I had friends teach me. You should definitely go with someone your first time so you don't drown ( if you get caught in an undertow, just swim parallel to the beach toget out of it) Another way would be to go to a beach and find some hot chick who surfs and ask her for some lessons. Be careful where you go because some beaches, especially in cali, dont like new people stealing their waves. You have to let the locals take all the good waves until you've put your time in.( there is surfing etiquette). Its a fun time though, i would definitely recommend it... i had to sell my board because i moved to las vegas. poker won over surfing...lol

stinkypete
05-30-2005, 03:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this some great Jewish surfing legend?

[/ QUOTE ]

you could say that.

you guys need to watch more OC. greatest show on tv.

The once and future king
05-30-2005, 04:01 AM
Buying the right board for a biggener is the essential thing. You need something with lots of Float, so you can paddle it easy and catch lots of waves.

Nothing shorter than 7 foot with a nice wide tail.

DeadMoneyOC
05-30-2005, 04:11 AM
Like everyone else said...buy a big board. Something long,wide, and thick. I noticed you said you are from the OC. I am from Irvine and I can tell you that Huntington Beach is not the best place for a beginner to learn how to surf. Newport is fine. You dont want to start surfing in big waves though. You need to learn to stand up and ride on small waves before you can tackle the big ones. Like someone else mentioned you will get wrecked if you dont know how to duck dive(which you wont be able to do with your beginner tank board). Check the waves at surfline.com to see how big the waves are on any certain day. All my friends live on 55th street so I am at Newport all the time. If you wear a brown rash guard that says 'trout' on it I'll be sure to paddle over and give you some tips. GL!

beta1607
05-30-2005, 04:48 AM
Make sure you learn basic surfing rules like not droping in on someones wave etc before you go out. If you are respectful of the better surfers they will appreciate it and maybe help you learn a little. Go to the Frog House on PCH in Newport I have had good experiances there when I had to get wax and stuff and they will probably want to help you.

Surfing is something that you cant really learn reading a book but through practice - it is worth your time to get a friend to teach you and in absence of that pay for at least one lesson to learn to read waves and other subtle things.