PDA

View Full Version : Did I get this right?

SydParrot
05-29-2005, 11:09 AM
Playing a $5 SNG at Pokerroom. Unfortunately using a Mac and didn't note the hand number in time, so I am doing this from memory.

My table image is questionable - ultra tight for half an hour (plus TERRIBLE cards). Then very aggressive for about 10 minutes (plus excellent cards). My 3 remaining opponents are all playing too tight at this point, None of them seems particularly good (button maybe slightly better than the other two).

Blinds 200/400

SB (1150)
Villain - BB (6100)
Hero - UTG (5000)
B (2750)

I have A7 suited and make it 900 (a level at which I have recently stolen at least once). Button folds, SB folds. BB calls (500). Pot=2000

Flop 765 rainbow. I have top pair, top kicker. I raise 900 ( I have a feeling this is my first mistake). Villain raises an additional 2000. The pot is now 5800, I have 2000 to call and a stack of about 3200. Folding leaves me a distant second against weaker opponents (though I am no master myself).

I went all in knowing I was an underdog, but with good pot odds and about a 23% chance of sucking out on an overpair. This somehow sounds almost correct now that I write it all down. On the otherhand my gut "just knew" he WAS holding an overpair... and he was.

Comments?

durron597
05-29-2005, 11:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Playing a $5 SNG at Pokerroom. Unfortunately using a Mac and didn't note the hand number in time, so I am doing this from memory.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can email support, and they can help you get the HH. It helps if you remember the name of the table.

[ QUOTE ]

Blinds 200/400

SB (1150)
Villain - BB (6100)
Hero - UTG (5000)
Button (2750)

[/ QUOTE ]

With these stack and blinds, going up against the big stack is the last thing I want.

[ QUOTE ]

I have A7 suited and make it 900 (a level at which I have recently stolen at least once). Button folds, SB folds. BB calls (500). Pot=2000

Flop 765 rainbow. I have top pair, top kicker. I raise 900 ( I have a feeling this is my first mistake).

[/ QUOTE ]

Think about what you will do in response to his actions. If you bet, will you call, fold, or raise to his raise. You don't want to call allin - basically you don't want to be put in the situation where you have to call off or fold off your entire stack.

So basically what I would do is I would decide right there the probability that he would flatcall me preflop with AA-88. Fortunately, you have position. When he checks, and you bet 900, and he raises to 2000, you are almost certainly beat against non-tricky opponents and can safely fold. This is especially true since you said that this opponent was playing too tight.

Freudian
05-29-2005, 12:09 PM
I think it's fine up to you calling his check-raise. Fold. Yes it sucks but taking the bad side of an all-in (because you know there is a very large chance of an all-in here) while having a very healthy stack is not winning poker.

Fold and pick on the two small stacks when given the opportunity.

microbet
05-29-2005, 12:28 PM
A7 is no monster. The guy with the 2750 is the best guy to attack here. You are a good guy for the big stack to attack.

If you are going to play against the big stack, you have to be able to play it cheap or threaten to cripple him. I wouldn't do the latter without a real hand.

If I played this hand, I would raise to more like 500 preflop. If called by big stack, I would have kept it cheap and folded to any strength (like a check-raise) unless I hit at least 2 pair.

durron597
05-29-2005, 12:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
A7 is no monster. The guy with the 2750 is the best guy to attack here. You are a good guy for the big stack to attack.

If you are going to play against the big stack, you have to be able to play it cheap or threaten to cripple him. I wouldn't do the latter without a real hand.

If I played this hand, I would raise to more like 500 preflop. If called by big stack, I would have kept it cheap and folded to any strength (like a check-raise) unless I hit at least 2 pair.

[/ QUOTE ]

The blinds are 200/400.

microbet
05-29-2005, 12:47 PM
I guess so. He did hand write this. When the HH's say blinds 200/400 they usually seem to mean that the BB is 200 (I guess an artifact from being written for limit games).