PDA

View Full Version : how do you play this?

unlucky513
05-29-2005, 10:57 AM
PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

UTG ($25.80)
MP ($72.85)
Hero ($39)
Button ($89.20)
SB ($19)
BB ($19.50)

Preflop: Hero is CO with T/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG calls $0.50, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $2</font>, Button calls $2, SB calls $1.75, BB calls $1.50, UTG calls $1.50.

Flop: ($10) K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, J/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $5...</font>

how do you play this? what to do if raised? no reads, only 3rd orbit around the table...

all comments appreciated

rikz
05-29-2005, 11:51 AM
Your preflop raise to disguise your QTs now works against you. Villains might be inclined to see your preflop strength as leaving you with any one of these strong hands on that flop.

AA, KK, JJ - set
AK or AJ - top two pair
AQ - TPWK
QQ or TT - pocket pairs with gut shot straight draws that still leave you with an over pair that beats many of villain's possible holdings.

So, what would they have called with? Pocket pairs lower than AA and KK? Maybe low suited connectors and pocket pairs? Suited or unsuited broadway cards like KJ or KQ? If so, this is a terrible flop for everyone that doesn't hold JJ. Maybe a loose caller with Kxs, spades, has a strong draw, but everyone else is going to run for the hills here. So, maybe this is a case for checking through the flop and maybe even the river to give someone time to catch up or bluff? I don't see anyone calling your bet without JJ or maybe KJ, both of which are less likely than other hands that fold.

Anybody give some free cards here? If Kxs of spades catches a flush, I guess you could pay him off because low suited connectors of spades is more likely if one of the villain wakes up on a 3rd spade on the turn or river rather than Kx.

DoubleDown
05-29-2005, 02:27 PM
More often than not, I usually follow up a pre-flop raise with a bet on the flop (except when 5 people come along, i miss the flop, and I know I won't be able to take the pot down with a flop bet.) For that reason I like your continuation bet of 1/2 pot on the flop here. You've flopped a strong hand with a great draw and want to start building a pot here, while at the same time not wanting to chase away weaker draws. You should hope to get raised somewhere on the flop, where i would flat call.

I think C/R-ing this flop comes off as too strong and allows some hands like top pair/2 pair/Pair+gut shot possibly get away, in fear that you may have hit a set. That's why I think leading and hoping for a raise is better.

I'd try to get my stack in on the turn (altho showing some caution should the board pair.)

unlucky513
05-31-2005, 01:09 PM
BUMP!

BZ_Zorro
05-31-2005, 01:18 PM
On a fishy table or with a bad/aggressive image I might push this and hope for a call. Just a thought.

jhall23
05-31-2005, 01:28 PM
I bet it like you did. Since this flop has hit many raising hands pretty good I don't think many would be fooled into getting involved later if you check. It's quite possible you won't get any action, but with 4 other players this flop could have hit someone with a flush draw that they might be willing to pay to see. You could even luck out and be free rolling with another QT or have someone hit two pair. I am trying to build a pot here.

What to do when raised really depends on where the raise is coming from and how many others are still involved in the pot.