PDA

View Full Version : Landlord dispute

Randy_Refeld
12-18-2002, 09:13 AM
I just wondered if anyone out there can help me with this. I live in Mississippi and my land lord refused to install a peephole at eyelevel; the one in my door is over my head. I haven't been able to find a law specifically stating that an apartment dwelling must have a peephole, but at the same time I believe the landlord has a moral if not legal obligation to install a peephole I can use.

Thanks,

Randy Refeld

marbles
12-18-2002, 10:47 AM
I live in Wisconsin, have lived in 4 apartments, and only once had a peephole. Not sure what the rules are in Mississippi, but I doubt there's any legal obligation to have a peephole, let alone a better-placed peephole than your existing peephole. I'd guess you're hosed.

IrishHand
12-18-2002, 11:21 AM
A landlord is under no obligation, legal, moral or otherwise, to adapt his dwellings to meet your desires for more convenience. As a general matter, he's under an obligation to provide a dwelling which is safe and secure - neither of which has anything to do with a peep-hole.

HDPM
12-18-2002, 12:02 PM
The disclaimer is that you have to check Mississippi law. As a matter of fact the professor I had who wrote a book on landlord tenant law said that in court, if you have the law on your side, you argue the law. If you don't have the law, you argue facts. If the law and facts are against you, you argue public policy. And if you don't have the law, facts, or public policy, you go to the Southern Reporter (the books listing legal cases by region) and find something in there to argue.

But in general, the law very much favors landlords. I lost a landlord tenant case once because the tenant made an improvement to the property. He had no right to make an improvement, so he was booted and had to pay the other side's fees. Ouch. So be careful and get some legal advice down there if it means a lot to you, because you may not have many rights in this regard.

Clarkmeister
12-18-2002, 02:32 PM
Maybe buy a $5 step stool?

brad
12-18-2002, 03:19 PM
yeah tell us how tall u r?

imho only if the view from the peephole is no good because of its placement would u have a valid issue.

for what its worth i think its somewhat stupid to open your door after dark. if youre not expecting someone theyll just go away after all.

Ray Zee
12-18-2002, 09:52 PM
many landlords like myself are willing to work with the tenant. so ask him if he will install one if you buy it. or if you can do one yourself. they are only a couple of bucks and can be put in by drilling a hole and screwing the view pieces in. its simple simon stuff. but having lots of rentals i side with the landlord as when you move out he is stuck with two holes in the door.

Randy_Refeld
12-19-2002, 04:20 AM
Well I am 5'7" My best friend down here is 6'4" and it is at his eye level. If I were abel to look out the peephoel I think it might be of limited value becasue of its height. there is a step up inot my apartment so from the outside the peephole is about 6'6" off the ground. I had a chat with the property manager today and they should be installing a peephole at eye level sometime on Fri.

Randy Refeld

brad
12-19-2002, 04:38 AM
thats cool. i would assume the old one could just be plastered fake wood or whatever overed so cosmetically door would look ok and not have 2 eyeholes.

seriously about not opening door people are so conditioned that knock, they look, they dont know person, then they open door anyway.

same with phones except nowadays everyone has answering machine so its not weird anymore not to answer phone.