PDA

View Full Version : Bad Beat to Take 2nd Place (out of 238) in Tourney

jvphish
05-29-2005, 08:20 AM
$2,500 gauranteed on bodog...(i know...cheap stuff)

tourney started with 238 people, 1000 chips each.

well...down to me and one other guy. he knocked out the 3rd place guy to take the chip lead of about 30-40k. i fight back, and now have the chip lead of about 20k from him...

catch AA...

blinds are 2000/4000 now. he raises me the minimum. i reraise the minimum. he calls.

flop: K 8 2

he bets strong, i raise, he goes all in, i call.

he flips over: K2 offsuit

OUCH. i was 90% to win preflop. he hits his two cards on the flop. that one hurt. real bad. i thought i had 1st.

so now he's big chip lead, im down to around 50k, he has about 190k. i hit A10s, go all in. he calls with K9o, and flops a set of kings, only to hit quad kings on the turn, to end the tourney.

Now, I guess I should be happy I got as far as I did without any really bad beats, but AA v. K2o hurt. the quad kings to end the tourney didnt feel too good either.

im just venting. sorry if this is a whiney "2+2" post...such is life.

Emoney
05-29-2005, 08:30 AM
bad beat stories don't go over well here. you're new, so here's your freebie. like you said, such is life. you won't get sympathy here.

jvphish
05-29-2005, 08:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
bad beat stories don't go over well here. you're new, so here's your freebie. like you said, such is life. you won't get sympathy here.

[/ QUOTE ]

...and im not really looking for any. just wanted to vent. ive played online for the past year or so, and have made a decent profit, but ive only recently started with the multi table tourney's. theyre a ton of fun, and a good way to play for 3+ hours without spending too much money. so, the best finish ive had (previously) was top 9, but i dont know how well i would have done at the final table that time, because top 9 got paid out in tourney credits, so the site ended the tourney once it got down to 9 people. kinda sucked. who doesnt wanna play the final table?

anyway, i just wanted to have a win under my belt, more so then the extra 6-7% of the prize pool. the guy knew he was lucky as [censored] too. ah well...

henrikrh
05-29-2005, 09:19 AM
Not a bad beat. you got your money in on the flop, when he had you beat, not preflop when you had the best of it. It still sucks, but the line between a bad beat and getting outplayed in this place is thin, hard to get away from aces.

good luck with getting first place next time though.

jvphish
05-29-2005, 10:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Not a bad beat. you got your money in on the flop, when he had you beat, not preflop when you had the best of it. It still sucks, but the line between a bad beat and getting outplayed in this place is thin, hard to get away from aces.

good luck with getting first place next time though.

[/ QUOTE ]

you're right to some extent...i just classify being a 90% favorite to win preflop, and then the guy catching 2 pair on the flop, more of luck then a "well played" hand. he admitted his luck. he wasn't even that good of a player to be honest. i had the advantage against him heads up, without a doubt. i won a few big hands against him heads up, and he began to go all in for the next 4 hands seemingly content with second place. then he catches two pair on the flop after raising a shitty hand preflop to crack my AA. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

The_Bends
05-29-2005, 10:40 AM
Happened to me in my first big MTT finish. I had Aces HU with a small chip lead got raised, reraised, he called and flopped twopair with J6 and all the money went in. Not a huge amount you can do although it is annoying when you're looking for your first MTT victory.

Burno
05-29-2005, 10:45 AM
Not really a bad beat.

[ QUOTE ]
catch AA...

blinds are 2000/4000 now. he raises me the minimum. i reraise the minimum. he calls.

[/ QUOTE ]

wtf?

dealer_toe
05-29-2005, 10:54 AM
a good way to play for 3+ hours without spending too much money.

What winning player thinks like that??

cain06
05-29-2005, 11:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
a good way to play for 3+ hours without spending too much money.

What winning player thinks like that??

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the first thing I thought when I saw that.

Aeioux
05-29-2005, 11:24 AM
You should've raised harder preflop instead of the minimum, you may have pushed him out preflop and could've avoided the whole mess.

jayb0ne
05-29-2005, 12:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You should've raised harder preflop instead of the minimum, you may have pushed him out preflop and could've avoided the whole mess.

[/ QUOTE ]

In that situation, I probably wouldn't want to push him out. I would've raised more than the minimum, but not much more than that, because of the fact that I would want this hand to be the end of the tournament. And from the way you were describing his play, he probably would've called a bigger raise anyway, so it seems there was no avoiding this.

jvphish
05-29-2005, 01:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

In that situation, I probably wouldn't want to push him out. I would've raised more than the minimum, but not much more than that, because of the fact that I would want this hand to be the end of the tournament. And from the way you were describing his play, he probably would've called a bigger raise anyway, so it seems there was no avoiding this.

[/ QUOTE ]

that was pretty much exactly my thoughts. and despite the outcome, i have not second guessed my initial play. 90% of the time i would win that hand preflop. and im 99% sure he would have pushed all his chips even if he just paired his king on the flop...thats just how he was playing.

augie00
05-29-2005, 01:58 PM
If it makes you feel better you played the AA hand horribly.

jvphish
05-29-2005, 02:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If it makes you feel better you played the AA hand horribly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks. Honestly, what I said came from memory...it might not have gone exactly like that (betting wise). I did not want to push the pot too much preflop, because he kept trying to steal pots, I had hoped he would do the same with this one, maybe even preflop. It's tough for you, or anyone else to say I played the hand wrong, with no knowledge of my opponent, or previous hands, etc...he was pushing all-in 3-4 hands in a row once I beat him on one big pot where he bluffed with 2-7o. I did not want him to think I had a REAL good hand, so I kept my raise preflop fairly small in hopes he'd push me all in preflop right there. [censored] happens. It's easy for someone to say I misplayed the hand when the other guy flops 2 pair. But what if he just hit his king, pushed me all in, and I won the tourney? Would I have misplayed it then? To you all, probably...for me? I don't know if I would have done much differently given the situation and his reckless betting in the 5-10 hands before this one.

augie00
05-29-2005, 02:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It's tough for you, or anyone else to say I played the hand wrong, with no knowledge of my opponent, or previous hands, etc...

[/ QUOTE ]

No it is not. Your opponent had to call T4000 to win a pot of T24000. That is 6-1. You can't give your opponents odds like that when you have AA. If you win before the flop, so be it.

[ QUOTE ]
But what if he just hit his king, pushed me all in, and I won the tourney? Would I have misplayed it then?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ummm...yeah. Duh.

jvphish
05-29-2005, 03:35 PM
well i suck at poker
that may have something to do with it

yoadrians
05-29-2005, 05:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
...calls with K9o, and flops a set of kings

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess I'll say welcome, nice work in the tournament and that you should learn the difference between a 'set' and 'trips'.

He did NOT flop a set here. He flopped trips.

A set would be if he had KK and the flop came x-K-x.

Trips would be this situation - he's got Kx and flop comes K-K-x

Welcome.

jvphish
05-29-2005, 05:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
...calls with K9o, and flops a set of kings

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess I'll say welcome, nice work in the tournament and that you should learn the difference between a 'set' and 'trips'.

He did NOT flop a set here. He flopped trips.

A set would be if he had KK and the flop came x-K-x.

Trips would be this situation - he's got Kx and flop comes K-K-x

Welcome.

[/ QUOTE ]

sorry buddy.

i got my notebook out and im taking notes though...dont worry.

yoadrians
05-29-2005, 07:13 PM
Sure hope you didn't find a sarcastic tone in my post ... none was intended.

Simply, I wanted to point that out because you're new here, and many people in these forums will flame you for not knowing the difference between a set and trips.

Again, just wanted to point that out and save you some flame-age down the road.

Take care, and again, nice work in the tournament.

MicroBob
05-29-2005, 08:04 PM
There is a way to get used to this.

Play SNG's...including 6-max SNG's and head-to-head tourneys.

It will give you a better understanding of how often this stuff happens (which is VERY).

Seriously...if you multi-tabled SNG's for 1 month you should likely end up being completely used to this because it happens all the time.

In my Stars double-shootout to win my WSOP seat I was 2:1 chip-leader and lost an all-in with the best of it.
Then when I was way behind my 33 spiked a set on the river to beat his 88.

I won a 50/50 after that and won my seat.

The other guy could very easily come here and whine about me hitting my 22:1 shot on the river to pretty much win the $10k seat. But ANYONE could come on at about anytime and have a semi-similar whine (although perhaps with not as much riding on it).

It happens.

jvphish
05-29-2005, 08:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
There is a way to get used to this.

Play SNG's...including 6-max SNG's and head-to-head tourneys.

It will give you a better understanding of how often this stuff happens (which is VERY).

Seriously...if you multi-tabled SNG's for 1 month you should likely end up being completely used to this because it happens all the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

i used to mainly play SNG's and recently started messing around with a few heads up tourney's for a quick game. its fun, and i know what ya mean...but it still hurt. it happens...i know.