PDA

View Full Version : Testing Absolute On a New Computer

toss
05-29-2005, 05:05 AM
I've recently downloaded Absolute and started playing on a new Dell Dimension 8400. I've noticed the interface slows down after the first hundred hands and when I check the CPU usage the line graph fluctuates like a richter scale. The only other poker site that lags my computer is Pokerroom but the lag it causes is almost neglible.

TobDog
05-29-2005, 10:04 AM
Wow, I just changed to an 400, my old setup was celeron 2.4 480meg of ram, pci VGA single card(for 2 monitors), new onw is 3.0 P4, 1 gig of ram and the video card is their stock dual head, I have noticed no lag with my new setup at all even with absolute running.

sumdumguy
05-29-2005, 10:40 AM
You should've read Absolute's MINIMUM system requirements:

Intel Dual Xeon 2.8Ghz processors
Asus DCLV-D Dual Xeon Motherboard
2GB PC3200 DDR ECC RAM
2 x WD 74GB 10,000RPM SATA Hard Drives in Raid 1

Of course.. they could just fix the damn program already!

ewile
05-29-2005, 11:38 AM
so strange...I've been playing Absolute for a week on a Dell Dimension 4600 (well over a year old) with no problem. Except for the fact that the software looks like vomit, I kinda like it. The bonus clears fast!

I'd love it if they had a few more players.

Kablooie
05-29-2005, 02:23 PM
Are you running pokertracker as well?

Kevin K.
05-29-2005, 02:47 PM
I used to run into this same problem at Absolute everytime I multi-tabled for a couple hours or more. Somebody at one of my tables pointed me to a few text files in the Absolute folder. Deleting those solved the problem everytime.

The files are anything that starts with ho_game, oh_game, sc_game, tho_game, toh_game, tsc_game

There are new ones created everytime that you start a game. ho is hold'em ring, tho, hold'em tourney, sc, seven-stud ring, etc. I'm not sure what their function is, but I do know that deleting them during a session doesn't cause any problems.

MicroBob
05-29-2005, 03:12 PM
in a previous thread I mentioned that something like this is happening on my computer....except that I pretty much get a monsterously high CPU usage just by opening 1 table there...whereas I have no other problems playing other sites for the most part.

AP read of my problems via these forums and asked if I would like to 'help' them. They compensated me a little bit in exchange for my willingness to talk with their tech guy on the phone and describe for him what was happening with my computer.
We ran through a couple of different things and I read him some various numbers for my computer.

It is a fairly new computer (1.5 yrs old, Dell Inspiron 5100) so shouldn't have nearly these problems with just one table.

Anyway, he took the various numbers and thanked me for my time. He was very professional.
I recently received an e-mail from the first guy there who had contacted me (he sent me a copy of a Dilbert comic):

Hi Bob,

I hope all is well with you lately. I got one of my daily comics this morning and it reminded me that I had still not responded to this email. Sorry about that! Here’s a copy of the comic:

<Dilbert Comic where the computer is running slower and slower>

I’m not implying at all that your computer is slow or unreliable, I just thought this was funny and that the tech support piece was somewhat applicable.
Anyhow – Christian told me that they have identified this issue on someone else’s computer as well and that they are going to work with them to identify the problem. Which means…thanks for your help! Now, hopefully all that you have to do is hold tight for a solution (which we should, hopefully, be seeing shortly).

If there’s anything I can help you with in the future, please don’t hesitate to contact me directly.

Cheers & have a great day!

~brent

Brent Beckley