PDA

View Full Version : reraising stronger openers in razz

somapopper
05-29-2005, 04:55 AM
This is a razz hand from a games grid DC 1/2 table. Unfortunately, I didn't request a history so I'm doing this from memory, but this is pretty close

(Razz is played with a SB and a BB at these tables)

hero is in early position with a 6 door card and a 5, 3 in the hole. Interestingly, 2 other players have a 6 door one has a 5 door and one has a 3 door.

So, I raise from early position and a 6 door and a 5 door call. One of the players is fairly loose and will often call with a bad one in the hole. The other player I'm uncertain about.

An ace in the blind reraises. I suspect this player is only going to reraise with a very big hand here, and I definately think he's better than me, however I reraise.

At the time, I thought that enough of my cards were out there that it was going to be difficult for villan to make his hand, and I was unlikely to pair, plus I'm punishing potential loose calls from the other two players in the hand.

However, if villan has a hand like a53, I'm very far behind. Villan having a24 might be my "best case" scenario. And with so many low cards out there maybe we're all running towards the best 8 low?

At any rate, I was initially pretty confidant about the raise, but now I don't know. Anyone who can help me with the math/ reasoning behind calling or raising here, thanks in advance.

DOMIT
06-01-2005, 01:54 PM
Razz posts should be posted in the Stud section (as it's a stud varient). Razz lovers like FeliciaLee will be happy to give thoughts on this /images/graemlins/wink.gif

fnord_too
06-01-2005, 02:42 PM
You are never "far behind" here I think. The raise is great if it will chase out the the other two players IMO. If they are going to call two cold, I would be more inclined to call. If both will fold, the 2BB dead money you create is well worth one more sb. Probably raising is good even if you only think one will fold. The pot is already quite large, so I don't think you are letting people off a FTOP mistake on later streets (that is, whether you raise or not the pot will probably be big enough to justify them chasing on later streets).

I am certainly no razz expert, but I am trying to learn, too. The games grid DC games are great IMO. Oh, and you can only get holdem hand histories right now.

somapopper
06-01-2005, 05:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You are never "far behind" here I think. The raise is great if it will chase out the the other two players IMO. If they are going to call two cold, I would be more inclined to call. If both will fold, the 2BB dead money you create is well worth one more sb. Probably raising is good even if you only think one will fold. The pot is already quite large, so I don't think you are letting people off a FTOP mistake on later streets (that is, whether you raise or not the pot will probably be big enough to justify them chasing on later streets).

I am certainly no razz expert, but I am trying to learn, too. The games grid DC games are great IMO. Oh, and you can only get holdem hand histories right now.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with you that if one player would fold I'd probably be right in raising, but I didn't really think that either player would fold here... certainly I could be wrong, but that was my impression of the players.

(is there anyway I can move this thread over to stud, or should I just repost it there?)

fnord_too
06-01-2005, 06:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]

(is there anyway I can move this thread over to stud, or should I just repost it there?)

[/ QUOTE ]

I think cutting and pasting is your best option for moving it.