PDA

View Full Version : Those of you playing for a living, what is your weekly SnG Goal?

FatalError
05-29-2005, 03:30 AM
I graduate with my preety much useless computer science degree in august and have decided that i'll be playing SnG's as my primary source of income (i decided to go pro back in january when i was playing 15-30 and 20-40 limit) i've decided that at 250 SnG's a week i can make about 200,000$/yr +/- 50,000. This is at 109's with a 15% ROI and my rakeback deal included into the computations. I'll also probably play a few Step 5 mini's and step 5 regulars per month single tabling to keep up my non 8 tabling skillz

Now for those of you that are doing this also (raptor, i guess i'm most interested in you seeing you seem to have the same destructive non SnG gambling habits i do... i'm more of a craps fan though) how many do you try to play a week, at what point do you consider burnout to be a problem, i'd like to play these 109's for about 18-24 months if possible so i want to keep myself from going nuts

also for anyone who thinks it matters i'll also be playing ring games and other tournaments on the side to keep those skills sharp when and if the SnG's on party become less juicy but i don't think i can make this much with the amazingly low variance provided any other way.

Bigwig
05-29-2005, 03:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I graduate with my preety much useless computer science degree

[/ QUOTE ]

And all along I thought this was 2005.

microbet
05-29-2005, 03:33 AM
No s.h.i.t., you wanna trade your cs degree for my wife's PHD in English?

bluefeet
05-29-2005, 03:38 AM
his CIS degree is good in india, china, or brazil.

<-- 15 year programmer

...keep playing poker. my job will be gone by years end.

johnnybeef
05-29-2005, 03:52 AM
i dont have a weekly goal as sometimes things unexpectedly pop up (which is part of the beauty of being a pro). rather, i try and get 1000 in a month (which if 8 tabling is pretty easy).

FatalError
05-29-2005, 03:57 AM
so thats about 250 a week, which is right down what i thought was a nice easy lifestyle with some decent change to boot =]

Bigwig
05-29-2005, 03:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i dont have a weekly goal as sometimes things unexpectedly pop up (which is part of the beauty of being a pro). rather, i try and get 1000 in a month (which if 8 tabling is pretty easy).

[/ QUOTE ]

You're a pro, too?

Maybe I should just do it already. I've already cut my practice back to 15 hours a week. Playing poker about 25.

viennagreen
05-29-2005, 03:59 AM
my goal is a min. of 250 SNGs/wk., 8-tabling... i also play live NL most every day, which has mainly been a break-even learning experience.

once i move away from vegas in august, i'll probably increase the amount of SNGs that i play.

i have no other gambling habits however, and am basically a minimalist--- albeit, a minimalist with broadband, a new car, a 6-at-a-time Netflix subscription, and an expensive traveling habit (50 days vacation so far this year).

*edit--- and no family/kids financial-type responsibilities either

FatalError
05-29-2005, 03:59 AM
i'm a certified network administrator thankfully, not that i'm all that thrilled with 50k a year at 9-5... to think when i decided to get this degree there was all that IPO boom glamour... then came pets.com... 9/11... and splat

i guess i could always move to india and work for partypoker if it doesn't work out

FatalError
05-29-2005, 04:01 AM
as long as it's a tax writeoff, why not right, all my trips to foxwoods... my bmw... my rent for my nice apartment, let the feds pay for it

johnnybeef
05-29-2005, 04:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
so thats about 250 a week, which is right down what i thought was a nice easy lifestyle with some decent change to boot =]

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, but in order to do 250 a week and still have time off, 8 tabling is a necessity. also, keep in mind you will have weeks where you are not at your best (either mentally, emotionally or physically) and consequently should play less. it is for this reason, and the fact that it helps keep me focused on the long run, that i prefer to track my goals and results on a monthly calender as opposed to a weekly one.

johnnybeef
05-29-2005, 04:32 AM
yeah, i quit my table waiting job two months ago, and have relied on 8 tabling the 22s/33s (with about an 18 and 14 roi respectively) and bonus whoring when it got a little tight. keep in mind that i had been making as much money doing this on a part time basis as i had been waiting tables. furthermore, im 25, single, still in school, have no financial obligations, and could very easily get my table waiting job back (but i will be getting my real estate broker license soon and already have a job lined up.) i just felt it was the right decision for me and i have enjoyed it so far. it is not my intent to do this for the longhaul though.

gl to you.
Johnny

Shillx
05-29-2005, 04:36 AM
I might try playing them full time. I would be doing something like 150 a week @ the 22 level @ 10% ROI which would equate to $330 a week. I guess that is enough to get by on. It would really be a miracle if I could stay at 10% over a long period of time though given my previous history. If I can do it for 1000 hands or whatever, I guess I'll stop playing LHE for now.

Brad

raptor517
05-29-2005, 04:45 AM
well, im honored you are interested in me. to be honest, right now, im rather sick of sngs. this is my SECOND 1k+ streak breaking even or down. so far, in the last 6 days, i havent played many sngs. ive been working on my mtt game with rather nice success. so far has been just about the best week of poker in my life, and i have only been 3 tabling. i have all this time to chat with new people, post on 2+2, research about the stock market, figure a place to live, etc..

so anyways, back to the main question. my weekly sng goal is generally around 400-500. if i play 4 full days, i can knock out the 500 easy. of course, that is 12 tabling, so shed a few of em for 8. playing continuously helps as well, as i can get in mass numbers per hour.

yea, i recommend playing those other games to keep yer game sharp. a lot of solid, winning, sng players dont have much of a clue about playing other forms of poker. they are push bots. thats no good.

so anyways, as for not burning out? dont break even over 2 weeks. twice. that is really the only thing that burns me out. you dont get sick of winning, trust me. if every day, was just 7% roi, i would be the happiest person in the world. but no. its not. most days are 1% roi, then you have 3 days where you are -20% roi. then you have 2 days where you just cant lose, and shoot up like 70 buyins. yea, burnout. sngs are streaky. thats the thing you have to learn to deal with. with hardest part about being a pro is dealing with break even streaks. when you play for weeks and not make a penny, you feel kinda worthless.

anyways, good luck with the sngs, i hope you do very well. pm me if u have any more in depth questions, im just kinda rambling right now without a real train of thought... holla

viennagreen
05-29-2005, 04:50 AM
unfortunately, much of my travel can not be deducted... including 21 days in gambling-free hawaii.

runner4life7
05-29-2005, 05:12 AM
While I just play the 22s I figure id throw in my input because poker is my summer job (I'm a college student) I 4 table and just bought a new computer and am looking to get my 2nd lcd so i can begin 8 tabling. Anyways, I calcualte that i can play roughly 6/hr maybe a little more. So I shoot for 40 hours weeks or about 50/day 5 days a week so I think 250 8 tabling should come pretty easily. I sleep till 2 everyday and have more free time than I know what to do with. Sanity wise...my roommate luckily plays as well, we can keep each other in check. That's my thing is make sure you dont keep yourself from society for too long, you need human contact, sometimes even past this forum /images/graemlins/wink.gif

DasLeben
05-29-2005, 05:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
my bmw

[/ QUOTE ]

BASTARD!

<-- E36 328is coming soon...