PDA

View Full Version : cross country audio?

commodore64
05-29-2005, 03:01 AM
gotta make a cross country trip as my car needs to get from one coast to the other. the reasons are irrelevantand i'm not happy about it, but that is besides the point.

my cd collection consists of 4 cds. appetite, use your illusion 1 & 2, and elton john's greatest hits 1970-2002.
all that other crap you kids listen to these days is noise. if it's not g and r or elton, it just isn't music. i don't want to expand my horizons or try out new artists because i already listen exclusively to the two greatest artists of the modern era. so i'm not looking for you to tell me how the white stripes are gonna take over the world.

brings me to my question. 48 hours of rocket queen and rocket man will drive even myself insane. how do i download audio books. i use winmx and limewire and all those good stuff, but it's impossible to find anything. i've never even listened to an audio book. just now i downloaded davinci code. 6 hours of the chit apparently. i gave it a listen and it's 6 hours long alright, but it starts nowhere near the beginning. questions:

does the author just read the book verbatim?
is it a condensed version?
where can i download some of them?

thanks

Patrick del Poker Grande
05-29-2005, 03:03 AM
www.bn.com (http://www.bn.com)

commodore64
05-29-2005, 03:10 AM
thanks, but i understand the concept of going to a store to buy them.

appreciate the help, but being a mid-limit poker player, who bitches about rake increases and pennies on the dollar, well lets just say i'm the typical cheap-o. if you are with the entertainment industry and believe everyone should pay for music, then i respect your opinion and will try not to download any of your respective work.

i suppose i could go to the library, but that would entail me figuring out where that was.

siccjay
05-29-2005, 03:11 AM
you suck at the internet

Patrick del Poker Grande
05-29-2005, 03:12 AM
Alrighty, then. A bit off that topic, but you should get language lesson CDs and learn a new language while you drive across the country. It'll pass the time and you can maybe impress someone with your new language skills.

Jakesta
05-29-2005, 03:14 AM
I have a better idea. Buy an XM or Sirius car radio and subscribe. You can listen to baseball games, or news, or any music genre you can think of, all across the country. I've been meaning to buy one for weeks.

commodore64
05-29-2005, 03:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
you suck at the internet

[/ QUOTE ]

care to elaborate? or are you just mr. cool guy tell it like it is?

others, thanks for the ideas, a new language would be cool. already have xm radio.

Patrick del Poker Grande
05-29-2005, 03:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I have a better idea. Buy an XM or Sirius car radio and subscribe. You can listen to baseball games, or news, or any music genre you can think of, all across the country. I've been meaning to buy one for weeks.

[/ QUOTE ]
Just for this one trip, though? There's just something about paying for radio that doesn't do it for me. I've listened to both XM and Sirius and it's not all that great. I'd agree if you were spending a lot of time going back and forth across the country or spent a lot of time in an area with little/no radio, but in general, no.

Jakesta
05-29-2005, 03:20 AM
My friend has an XM radio, and he doesn't really drive that much at all. I love going to his house and listening to MLB broadcasts on there. The sound quality is much better than FM/AM radio and the music channels are commercial-free as far as I know.

It is not really a big investment. You could find a decent XM set for about 50 bucks and it's only like 10 bucks a month for the service.

Some people used to feel the same way about paying for cable television.

ceyoung
05-29-2005, 03:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]

i already listen exclusively to the two greatest artists of the modern era.
thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

i'd say you're "mr. cool guy"