PDA

View Full Version : preflop

joker122
05-29-2005, 02:13 AM
party 5/10

utg raises, utg+1 (20/7/1) 3bets, i have JJ on the button.

Bigdaddydvo
05-29-2005, 02:15 AM
capalapadingdong!

joker122
05-29-2005, 02:16 AM
why

Lmn55d
05-29-2005, 02:17 AM
I think you have to cap to maximize the errors made by the blinds and the initial raisor. A guy with PFR of 7 will AK, TT, etc. enough of the time that your equity in the pot is fine, plus 4 bets is the cap.

Bigdaddydvo
05-29-2005, 02:18 AM
Initial raise could have been from as low as 77 to AT. Reraise 99-AK. There's an excellent chance you have the best hand. Cap for value.

wheelz
05-29-2005, 02:18 AM
Easier to play postflop. If it's a rag flop and he's still showing lots of aggression into your cap, then you'll better know where you stand. Otherwise, even though his PFR is so low, you can't really be sure if he has a smaller pair or AK/AQ etc.

[censored]
05-29-2005, 02:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
why

[/ QUOTE ]

The way I see it. You are not going to fold right? so then it becomes a matter of do you put in 1 or 2 bets. I think capping may drive out the UTG raiser who could have a variety of hands which may infact protect your hand. Also you may be ahead here and should take advantage of it.

adamstewart
05-29-2005, 02:20 AM
IT's close, but I think I'd cap here.

UTG's range of open-raising hands is large. Hopefully, our cap will push him out, so we can get heads-up.

The main thing that worries me here is UTG's PFR is only 7%. But I think you still beat a lot of his possible raising hands.

Keep in mind, though, if a A or K hits the board, you gotta think about ditching, or seeing the showdown as cheaply as possible.

Adam

___1___
05-29-2005, 02:28 AM
joker122,

It doesn't matter what you do. Flip a coin.

___1___

joker122
05-29-2005, 02:36 AM
do you mean flip a coin between calling and capping?

___1___
05-29-2005, 02:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
do you mean flip a coin between calling and capping?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I mean a coinflip between folding, calling, and capping. All are really really close.

___1___

joker122
05-29-2005, 02:50 AM
this is exactly what i was thinking when i was playing the hand but the more i think about it now the more folding seems out of the question.

sy_or_bust
05-29-2005, 02:51 AM
I'll either cap or fold, and do so purely on reads. In this case a TAG re-raises the EP raiser, so I muck, planning to take notes on the rest of the hand.

joker122
05-29-2005, 02:57 AM
that doesn't really make sense. if you're willing to cap with a hand you should at least be willing to call a 3bet with it.

sy_or_bust
05-29-2005, 03:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
that doesn't really make sense. if you're willing to cap with a hand you should at least be willing to call a 3bet with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

It makes plenty of sense. Tight EP raisers will be coming in with at least two overcards, while solid reraisers will be tighter still. JJ is drawing thin to many probable hands, which really cuts into its value on favorable flops. Loose raisers can hold considerably less, including hands you 'dominate' (AJ/AT), weaker pocket pairs, or worse. Then I'll come in with a cap to push an edge and immediately threaten weak players with position. This line can often fold a hand like KQ UI on the flop, and opponents generally won't attack you postflop without a real hand.

Calling the 3-bet isn't bad either, since the preflop edge is naturally speculative and the flop essentially defines the value of your hand (if you're not drawing to 2 outs...). The above is just how I generally play the situation.

Lmn55d
05-29-2005, 03:54 AM
I agree with you, I can't see how in a situation like this capping and folding can both have a higher expected value than calling.

spydog
05-29-2005, 05:51 AM
I like calling here with the intention of folding the flop if any A or K flops. If rags flop I can raise any flop and make a pretty easy fold if preflop 3-bettor 3-bets the flop. I think this is the cheapest plan of action to make a good fold postflop, but does little to sacrifice the payoff if you make your set.

kiddo
05-29-2005, 12:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Reraise 99-AK

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont think this is the reason we should cap. Should you cap JJ in SB or BB?

imported_CaseClosed326
05-29-2005, 01:16 PM
I'll stake a stab at this.

I think calling is a really good option. This allows you to see if the early position raiser wants to define his hand some more. From a low PFR% he would probably only cap with AA-QQ, maybe A-Ks. So if you get the cap from him you are probably in trouble.

My problem with the cap is, what if a single ace, king, or queen comes out and someone bets into you? Puts you in a tough spot IMO.

Not sure if that all makes sense, but oh well. Either or it seems pretty close.