PDA

View Full Version : Open pushing on level 1 for table image

betgo
05-29-2005, 01:38 AM
I have seen good players do it, so I decided to give it a try in $10-$30 SNGs on Party I am multitabling. I try to open push rather than push at limpers and use some hand I don't have a lot of interest in playing but plays OK allin.

Sure it's EV-, but I usually pick up the blinds and often double up. Sometimes I bust out and sign up for another one to make up 4 that I start at a time.

I usually get a lot of comments about what a bad play it is and how I only picked up the blinds. However, I often get a lot more action for my big hands later on. Also, it confuses my opponents and disguises my true style of play.

elonkra
05-29-2005, 02:01 AM
I don't think this does anything good for you.

curtains
05-29-2005, 02:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I have seen good players do it, so I decided to give it a try in $10-$30 SNGs on Party I am multitabling. I try to open push rather than push at limpers and use some hand I don't have a lot of interest in playing but plays OK allin.

Sure it's EV-, but I usually pick up the blinds and often double up. Sometimes I bust out and sign up for another one to make up 4 that I start at a time.

I usually get a lot of comments about what a bad play it is and how I only picked up the blinds. However, I often get a lot more action for my big hands later on. Also, it confuses my opponents and disguises my true style of play.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea because it's almost impossible to win at a ridiculous clip at these games by just playing solid normal poker.

betgo
05-29-2005, 02:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Yea because it's almost impossible to win at a ridiculous clip at these games by just playing solid normal poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do play solid normal poker, but I sometimes throw this sort of thing in to enhance the result and to disguuise that I am playing solid normal poker.

tjh
05-29-2005, 02:13 AM
Image may not count for much at the low buy in tables. Maybe higher up folks pay attention.

I may push early to mid on hands that I hate playing. Hands like JJ QQ 1010. But even then not often. I save pushing for later when the blinds are worth something. Sometimes I sense that my raises are meaningless, either I have been caught pushin trash or been raising a lot, then I may push with a hand that I want callers with and I hope that someone has something marginal that they may spite call me with and be the underdog.

Mostly I let my image take care of itself. Sometimes my image gets damages and I lose fold equity, at that point I may move my big raise with a real hand to an all-in.

Playing for table image is most likely getting to fancy. I find it hard to pay attention to other players. I imagine that the fish are even less attentive.

--
tjh

betgo
05-29-2005, 02:49 AM
People may not remember the detailks of how you play, but when you make an obviously bad play like that they remember.

Shilly
05-29-2005, 02:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Good jopke?

Big Limpin'
05-29-2005, 02:56 AM
I think you are giving your opponents entirely too much credit for keeping tabs on "how you play". They are just doing their thang, and think "hmmph, HE must had a nice one there...." Thats it.

ANd for getting action on later levels because of a push in level 1....that all in your head. I think.

And besides, do you WANT more calls in later levels?

DasLeben
05-29-2005, 02:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
However, I often get a lot more action for my big hands later on.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's great for when you have a big hand, but what about tourneys where you don't get good cards at all? You're going to accomplish nothing besides destroy your FE for later rounds.

Just play normal poker. Don't waste your time with crap like this. Seriously.

Bigwig
05-29-2005, 03:30 AM
I hate the idea of establishing myself as a maniac in a one table tournament where 30% get paid. In this format, I want fold equity late, when I am raising like a maniac.

Matt Walker
05-29-2005, 05:10 AM
It seems that pushing hands early would give you a loose table image. Maybe its just me but this isn't the type of table image I try to set up early in a STT. I want to be able to buy the blinds later which is done more effectively when I havent pushed crap early. So I think in addition to the -EV play you are making you are also setting up a -EV image. Not a good combination.