PDA

View Full Version : Why I put the flag up

09-15-2001, 01:26 PM
I am not normally a flag waver. Coming of age in the 60's, I have generally had a less than positive view of flag wavers.

That being said, I have been walking around numb since Tuesday morning...unable to focus or concentrate on much of anything of importance. My country was attacked in a horrifying way right in front of my eyes.

I came across the flag on this page on another site (not being used to promote the US, but rather as a way of differentiating between their English and German sites.) As soon as I saw it I knew that I wanted it to appear on the 2+2 site (and as soon as I get up the energy again on ConJelCo's as well.) Not so much as a patriotic gesture (though I hope it is), but rather as a public way that I and others can help memorialize those who died on Tuesday.

I asked Mason if it would be ok to do this and he immediately said yes. I knew, full well, that there would be those would question this decision. So be it. The flag will be displayed prominently on this site for several weeks out of respect for those who lost their life on Tuesday.

Best to all of you,

Chuck

09-15-2001, 02:21 PM
Thanks Chuck,

My neighbor came over today and asked if we were alright!! I said yes fine and then she proceeded to tell me about a woman who was killed Tuesday who has two small children 3 and 6 years old. She has been in church or helping her sister's best friend family get thru this tragedy. I hadn't cried since hearing about this but hearing her speak and seeing the hurt and pain in her eyes from this tragedy made me cry. She spoke to me for a half an hour and (I have an attention span of less than a minute) but I listened to every word my neighbor spoke and we cried off and on during the conversation. She worked in NEMC in Boston and helped Palestinians, Arabs, etc. get their VISA's and become Doctor's to go back and help their people in their ravaged country that they live in. She had mixed feelings about helping them and we discussed that it is the prejudice of the moment and we must not get hung up with such shallow thoughts. We talked about our families and even in tragedy we were able to hug each other and help each other in need. She didn't have to come over and tell me this she could of kept it to herself but she didn't. So go talk to a neighbor or call someone in your family and discuss what is going on in yours and their lives. The life you save or the person you may help may just be yourself.

Paul

09-15-2001, 02:31 PM
That flag is beautiful. That flag means I get to play poker when I want, drink beer when I want, have fun with my friends when I want, and generally do whatever the heck I want. Looks like I'm going to get activated here shortly, so my poker playing will be curtailed somewhat. But that's ok.

that is all,

dannyboy :o)

09-15-2001, 02:45 PM

09-15-2001, 03:09 PM
nt

09-15-2001, 03:41 PM

09-15-2001, 08:54 PM

09-15-2001, 11:45 PM
i am Canadian but i feel very American. i think it is now a universal feeling.