PDA

View Full Version : .25/.50 blind structure

Jakesta
05-28-2005, 11:20 PM
As most of you know, the blind structure on PokerStars .25/.50 is that the big blind is .25, but the small blind is only .10. This means that you have to pay more to complete it, 2.5x instead of 2x. So does this mean that I should be playing less 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif2/images/graemlins/spade.gif hands after 3 or 4 limpers than I did at .02/.04? Note: This is the same structure as PS .05/.10 has. I'm just curious because most of the higher micro and small stakes games have an SB half of the BB instead of 40% of it, and I'm just wondering how this affects what hands I should play? I think that I should probably play less hands from the SB as a result. I should probably muck hands like T9o and 98o all the time, right?

Thanks,
Jksta

Qwijibo
05-28-2005, 11:48 PM
Think of it this way. The smaller the SB is compared to the BB, the tighter your calling standards should be. This is because you're putting a proportionately higher amount PF with a speculative hand.

Here's an example, although an exaggerated one. Say the blind structure is $4 for SB, $5 for BB. Almost everything would be worth a call from the SB, because its only a dollar more (your pot odds are great). If the structure was $1 to $5, it would almost be like paying the full blind to see a flop.

Tighten up when the SB is small, loosen up when it's big (compared to BB). Don't go crazy, though.

Jakesta
05-28-2005, 11:52 PM
Good post. I understood all of it.

I am just wondering what hands I should be completing in here? I don't know if I should strictly follow SSH standards because they assume an SB that is 50% the size of the BB. Maybe I should play a little tighter? Only play two gap suited or better, etc.?

Qwijibo
05-29-2005, 12:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]

I am just wondering what hands I should be completing in here? I don't know if I should strictly follow SSH standards because they assume an SB that is 50% the size of the BB. Maybe I should play a little tighter? Only play two gap suited or better, etc.?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is tough sometimes. Much of it is in consideration of the type of game you're playing. Since this is micros, I'm assuming its LAGgy. I've been questioning my own calling standards in places like this. I think I'm comfortable completing most suited hands and ditching some weaker hands that I might call with had the blinds been 50%. I've found a reason to play T9o and 98o ordinarily, but since there's no way I'm playing these outside of the blinds, I would be hesitant to play it with a 40% blind. This is a tough question; that's my take on it.

Jaran
05-29-2005, 12:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

SSH pgs 91-92

-Jaran

Jakesta
05-29-2005, 12:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

SSH pgs 91-92

-Jaran

[/ QUOTE ]

Ty, just read it.

So I should muck hands like 92s in this structure?

sfwusc
05-29-2005, 12:57 AM
I would likely muck 92s with a 50% blind. XXs is played for flush value...pretty much. You need a lot of limpers for the flush value to be worth half a blind. Dont forget you are going to get the draw twice as often as the flush...that draw will cost you chips. Now figure in EV compared to variance. I dont let playing XXs to much...the EV is mostly in making the SB lose less /images/graemlins/smile.gif, which is money in your pocket (if you dont mean the added variance).

-SFWUSC

grjr
05-29-2005, 01:06 AM
Here is a post of mine from another thread. I definately wouldn't recommend playing any more hands than these from a 40% SB. And for what it's worth, I don't think I'll be paying to play 92s anytime in the near future.

-------

Ok. Here is what's working for me (and I'm -0.06 in the SB).

When people tell you to play any two suited; don't listen. Unless everyone at the table has limped in first. Even then I'm not so sure. Here are my good suited hands:

54s+
97s+ I like to play 86s but I've lost 18 straight hands with it.
T3s+
Jxs
Qxs
Kxs
Axs

If you have a lot of limpers you might think about loosening up on the mid-suited one-gaps and two-gaps but I'm not sure there's a lot of profit there.

Here are the offsuit hands:

Any pair
T9o+
QTo+
Q90+
K9o+
Axo

I'll call most raises with pairs, mid-suited connectors+, and J9s+.

Even though I've done well in the SB I've still lost a lot of money with all the suited and non-suited hands that aren't listed above (93s, 32s,87o...). If I hadn't played those I would be very close to breaking even for the SB. I intend to cut them all out fron now on.