PDA

View Full Version : Strategy in loose aggressive games

GregB
05-28-2005, 11:05 PM
I'm playing in a 30 person tournament style no limit game. Also, to ensure extra action we are playing at tables of only 6. The other players are loose and aggressive, but not particularly sophisticated. They tend to call more bets after the flop, then they should. They also raise post-flop hands that they shouldn't. I was thinking of playing more suited connecters and try to get big hands. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to adapt strategy for this type of game? I have played maybe 50 games of poker offline and never played online. I recently read Hold 'em Poker for Advanced Players for the second time, but it doesn't discuss aggressive loose games very much, and it is all limit hold 'em.

stu-unger
05-29-2005, 01:02 AM
loose agressive?? it sounds like a normal 6-max game to me, u need to expect people to play more hands loosely than in a normal ring game. the thing u need to keep in mind while playing short handed is that u'll have to run without the ball more often than not. in a 6-max game u really need to take advantage of position when u have it and avoid lowering your hand standards too much when you don have it. if people arent str8 up calling stations then u should raise every pot u enter that hasn't been raised already and start playing more 2 card hold'em. u should look at all 20 hands, pairs, and ace highs as a chance to attack but dont way over play them. basically to be successful u need to always attack when your in a pot but pick and choose the pots u enter, and dont start playing every hand because the donkey to your left keeps winning with 4-8os.

beekeeper
06-02-2005, 01:58 PM
stu-unger's advice is great.

i recently joined a local game that is very similar to what you describe and someone on this site helped me with my strategy, and it's working for me.

like stu said, push your premium hands, but JJ 1010 slow down. in my game, any preflop betting only encourages everyone to stay around, so play hands that play well in multipots. see more flops when you can get in cheap, and be willing to throw away weak draws(i.e, low pair w/ backdoor flush/straight)--with so many hanging around for the turn and river, someone's going to catch a miracle.

also, count on someone (or more than one person) hanging around till the river with Ax. if an Ace comes on the turn or the river, you're pair is vulnerable.

if you can avoid staying too long with a second best hand/draw, let them do the pot building for you, then when you have the nuts you'll win big pots.

also, i agree, when the blinds go up, your aggression will begin to pay off--especially if you've been comparatively tight.