PDA

View Full Version : My first limit tourney is in 90 minutes.

Eeegah
05-28-2005, 10:53 PM
I'm more or less new to serious Hold 'Em, but my time has been good to me. I've crawled my way up the food chain, from .02/.04 to .05/.10. After three weeks I doubled my cash there (and averaged 2.6BB/hr there over 11k hands, hooray) and moved on to .25/.50 last night, where I'm already up $20+ after maybe 4 hours. Most of this has been due to some intense studying: I started with WLLHE, ditched that for SSHE (I take the preflop chart here as canon), then moved down to Hilger's Internet Texas Hold'em when I realized I was missing fundamental concepts like how I should handle the turn and such. Anyway, I seem to be doing alright, with a good VPIP and aggression factor, although I still feel wet behind the ears.

Today though I'm going to try my first MTT: a $3+0 at Stars. How should I adjust my play for these? I assume I should start fairly tight (or close to TAG like I try to play) as the looser folk knock each other out, then play more aggressively if I manage to make it ITM, but I don't know too much more from there. Most of the advice in the forum is specific hands and almost alays pertains to NL, so I don't know how much of it I can apply to my game. I took a look at Sklansky's Tournament book briefly today while at Borders, but since it pertains to poker in general I don't know how much I can take from it for tonight. Any advice for a starting limit MTT player?

Rizen
05-28-2005, 11:01 PM
First off, welcome to the forums and good luck in your first tournament. Tournaments play MUCH differently than cash games. There is probably nothing anyone can tell you in the next 90 minutes to fully prepare you for it.

The good news is, play in the micro Stars tournaments (the 1, 2, and 3+0's) is typically pretty bad, so if you're a successful cash player at any limit you probably are ahead of a good portion of the field. My only real advice with only 90 minutes to go is to just have fun, enjoy the experience, and try and learn from it. Sklansky's tournament book is one of the best for tournaments, and I highly suggest reading it if you plan on continuing to play MTTs regularly. Good luck!

-Rizen

Eeegah
05-28-2005, 11:11 PM
Heh thanks. I'm using this mainly as a learning experience; I'll be happy if I place in the top %50, and ecstatic if I wind up ITM. That's of course not my goal however /images/graemlins/smile.gif