PDA

View Full Version : Would I benefit from reading ITH?

Jakesta
05-28-2005, 10:23 PM
I was re-reading WLLH two nights ago, and I really didn't like it. I am somewhat of an experienced newbie and I really prefer SSH and its style of play. I have heard that Internet Texas Hold Em is also a great read for microlimit games.

What do you think?

SoftcoreRevolt
05-28-2005, 10:26 PM
If you are going to read more, go towards TOP and HEPFAP, not the other way. While ITH is more suited to micro limits, SSHE is all you need once you understand it. If you do, then begin expanding your understanding, and your game.

Jakesta
05-28-2005, 10:30 PM
Ok thanks for your help. appreciated

Jksta

iNsChris
05-28-2005, 10:33 PM
I have ITH (Im a newbie, Brought it few months back and read it few times).

I thought SSH wouldn't teach me anything, Considering ITH opened my eyes to fair bit and what i thought was majority of poker stategy/information.

I brought SSH few days ago... I was wrong! This is a GREAT BOOK and has taught me a fair bit.

if you own SSH i wouldnt buy/Read ITH. ITH taught me Tight play, But also my natural tendencies were "Tight/Weak" play.

SSH is superior and probably fine for a beginner straight off (With help of this forum and google.com for some concepts/Explanations maybe).

Its layout, Explanations etc i find alot easier to read and clearer to understand.

Of course ITH is a good book specially for a beginner to be taught Tight/Winning play. However SSH teaches all of ITH + More IMO.

Re-re-read SSH, You dont need ITH IMO.

dedmoney
05-29-2005, 01:24 AM
My reading experience went LLHE, ITH, SSHE. My win rate at first (I read the first two last year) was negative. I got SSH and I have been crushing the low limits. I liked both books, ut their playing style was too conservative. SSH is a ridiculously good book for the online micro game.

I finished SSH recently and am starting top. I have HEFAP, but am holding off on that until I get through top. i want to get a better understanding of the whole game of poker.

fyi- in my last 11k hands, i'm up over 550 BB across two limits.

Isura
05-29-2005, 02:10 AM
If you've read SSH and understand it, I'd rather read TOP and more of this forum. TOP together with SSH will put you on the path to thinking like a real poker player.

Jakesta
05-29-2005, 02:13 AM
I can't understand TOP. I own it, and I have tried to read it, but there are so many non-hold em examples in it, from antiquated games that I don't know the rules to. I don't know how lowball works, for example.

Jakesta
05-29-2005, 12:38 PM
Bump for Isura.

Thanks,
Jakesta

Ringo_Mojo
05-29-2005, 01:04 PM
There's an index in the back that explains all the games used in TOP. And they're not really antiquated, they're just not games that are on TV all the time.

I just finished reading TOP, it was really helpful, made me understand the why's of a lot of plays like nothing else had.

Isura
05-29-2005, 01:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I can't understand TOP. I own it, and I have tried to read it, but there are so many non-hold em examples in it, from antiquated games that I don't know the rules to. I don't know how lowball works, for example.

[/ QUOTE ]

When you read TOP, try to think about what you already know, and try to relate how your current holdem knowledge is generalized in TOP. For example, we're taught to bet our flush draws when we don't have a pair yet somes, even stuff like 78s. But for a semibluff to be effective, there has to be some chance that everyone folds and you win the pot right away. Otherwise, it's just a value bet. Another good section is about inducing and stopping bluffs. THe chapter on river play alone is worth the price of the book IMO. TOP was tough the first time I read it too, but it's something that needs to be reread many times. As you gain more experience, keep going back and reading random chapters that you don't really understand. They will start to make more sense (even the razz examples) as your general poker understanding improves. Good luck to you.

My favorite chapters are semibluff/semibluff defense, raising, and river play (heads up on the end).

Jakesta
05-29-2005, 01:22 PM
Thanks a lot for your advice.

tinhat
05-29-2005, 02:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
but there are so many non-hold em examples in it, from antiquated games that I don't know the rules to. I don't know how lowball works, for example.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm honestly not picking on you but that's a hilarious comment. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

When I first started playing cards in high school I'm not even sure there was such a thing as texas holdem (or at least me or none of my friends had ever heard of it). Back then it was the law that kids must play guts, draw, stud and all kooky variations thereof growing up. Now all anyone's interested in is holdem...

Mike

dedmoney
05-29-2005, 02:30 PM
Seriously, I didn't know hold'em existed until like five years ago. In high school, it was the same for me, draw, stud, baseball etc. In college, i forgot almost entirely about poker because a. I had no money, and B. I was the king of [censored].

Jakesta
05-29-2005, 02:56 PM
Texas Hold Em has been around since the 1800s, as far as I know- but you're right that it has surged in popularity in recent years.