PDA

View Full Version : To raise or not to raise.... (quick one)

Ghazban
05-28-2005, 08:38 PM
In an unraised pot on the river, there are 3 people remaining in the hand. The board is KKQJ4 with no flush possible. I hold KJ and am almost positive it is good as the other two players probably would've raised KQ preflop (they're that kind of player-- any two broadways, decent pairs, etc. from any position).

Player A has both me and player B covered and is first to act. He checks. Player B, who I have covered goes all-in for about the pot size. From the way the hand has played out, I'm pretty sure he has the other king.

If I call, I don't think player A will raise under any circumstances. However, if I raise, I think player A will call with a smaller boat or possibly the straight (T9 is most likely if he has a straight as he would've raised AT preflop). If he has nothing, he's folding either way (duh).

So...call or raise?

luckycharms
05-28-2005, 09:30 PM
I would flat call... if you raise, that's just showing too much strength and there's little chance you'll get a call from a straight (unless he's really bad)... however, if he does have the lower boat and is a lower-caliber opponent (such as you describe him) he will raise you with his lower boat.

Also, if you remaining two have tons of chips, a flat call makes you look like you have a weaker hand, and if he wants to fire out a bluffraise, this can be the perfect hand to trap him....

Only exception: if he's a maniac you and he have tons of chips and aren't satisfied with winning just a few with your big hand

xorbie
05-28-2005, 09:31 PM
Well, your OP doesn't actually mention what hands he will call with if you don't raise. A Q? It seems unlikely that he's going to just call if you do, but won't also call if you push.

billymonk
05-28-2005, 10:58 PM
I call.

heretowin
05-28-2005, 11:08 PM
I call too. If he has a hand like Trip K's or a small boat he will raise or call, and if he only has 2 pair you could get extra money cuz he still might call but he would dare call a re-raise with that hand. So calling should get you the most money.