PDA

View Full Version : Bottom two pair facing big reraise, what to do?

elcap
05-28-2005, 07:53 PM
Ultimate Bet No-Limit Hold'em, $1 BB (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

UTG ($99.40)
UTG+1 ($64.50)
MP1 ($94.30)
MP2 ($164.30)
MP3 ($151.75)
CO ($80.20)
Hero ($98.50)
SB ($25.70)
BB ($86.90)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP2 calls $1, MP3 calls $1, CO calls $1, Hero calls $1, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($6) Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 8/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(7 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets $3</font>, CO folds, Hero raises to $11, BB folds, UTG folds, MP2 folds, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises to $40</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: $46

So here was my thinking during the hand. Sometimes I will raise with these cards late but I have been raising a lot on this table (something like 13% over 70 hands) and was starting to get a lot of action on my raises. Also, I've been working hard on closing leaks such as taking overpairs and two pairs to the felt too often.

So when I get this flop I figure I make a good raise after his bet and see where I am at (I meant to make it $12). Should I have raised more here? Maybe so, but either way I am likely going to face this raise even if I had made it $15. So now he makes it $40 and I think if I call I am comitted to this pot so I either push or fold.

I figured Q7, Q8 unlikely but possible. 77 or 88 would have me dominated and were also possible (MISTAKE: I failed to discount the likelihood of those hands by the fact that there were only two of each left out there). QQ was unlikely b/c no raise preflop. That leaves AQ. In hindsight I think this was his most likely hand and I should have pushed. But in heat of moment I did not want to commit my stack and lose to trips again with my 2 pair. Do you guys agree that in this spot I played it too weak but that normally bottom two is a hand to tread lightly with when facing heavy resistance?