PDA

View Full Version : Taking a page out of Mahatma's book...

AZK
05-28-2005, 03:14 PM
...and screwing it up.

2/2/5 I have about 1400 behind and the image of a LAG who is stuck about 2k and has seen better days. UTG is an ABC, easy to read player, he very rarely gets out of line. He straddles, I make it 40 to go with black aces. He makes it 160, this is AA/KK (maybe QQ). That is it. He has me covered. I am going for the kill, not for 160, I don't need people telling me to reraise preflop, it's heads up and I'm trying to move beyond that. I call.

Flop Q /images/graemlins/diamond.gif J /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 5 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

He looks at me, looks at his cards, and says, well I guess if you have diamonds you have me crushed, then he moves all in.

I throw up.

partygirluk
05-28-2005, 03:19 PM
AA - 1 combination - you split 2/3 he scoops 1/2
KK - 6 combos - he is 92% dog 1/2 the time, 45% dog other 1/2
QQ - 3 combos - you are 92% dog

Looks like a fold.

Yeti
05-28-2005, 03:28 PM
Yeah, you gotta muck this.

AZK
05-28-2005, 03:49 PM
Yeah, at the time I was fairly confident it was KKd or QQ. I didn't bother to do the actual math, just knew that I was [censored].

How does the math change if you factor in say 20% of the time he makes this raise with AKs?

radioheadfan
05-28-2005, 03:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
this is AA/KK (maybe QQ)

[/ QUOTE ]

If he's the straddler, and has any idea how to play the game, you have to open this hand range a bit. I don't know this guy, but from tight straddlers throw in 88-JJ, AKs & AQs into that range, along with about 5% trash hands.

With that board and his push you're mucking though, it doesn't really matter what he has....you can't call.

AZK
05-28-2005, 04:08 PM
He was straddling a lot but rarely defended the straddle. In 5 hours he defended twice, once was AA the other was AKs or something I think. I knew this was a very narrow and good range of hands.

BobboFitos
05-28-2005, 06:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
AA - 1 combination - you split 2/3 he scoops 1/2
KK - 6 combos - he is 92% dog 1/2 the time, 45% dog other 1/2
QQ - 3 combos - you are 92% dog

Looks like a fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

if villain is very abc id weigh the possibility of non diamond KK even less so (so very much a fold)

BluffTHIS!
05-28-2005, 10:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
...and screwing it up.

[/ QUOTE ]

There was nothing wrong with making this play since the two requirements for doing so (in my mind anyway) were met: you are headsup and you have position. You just got a bad flop. But had a rag board appeared, despite the fact he is fairly weak tight, you had the possibility of making a lot more money than you would have by reraising preflop to like 450 and letting him get away from QQ or even KK more cheaply. The only hand he could have that would make your folding a big mistake is AK with one of them diamonds, but I still would have played as you did and folded the flop.

riverboatking
05-29-2005, 12:23 AM
i'm a big fan of just calling a reraise after i've opened raised w/ AA.

however you have to make sure that the reraise is large enough that it will be difficult for your opponent to get away from his hand.

i don't know how deep the villian was in this hand, but if he had you covered then he is nowhere near pot-committed to a ~320 pot.

you also have to take into consideration what type of player your opponenet is, if he is an uber-aggressive player you don't have worry about scare cards coming on the flop, however if your opponent is a "abc" player and an Ace or King flops you just lost a lot of money if he has QQ.

like i said i love this particular line w/AA however there are variables that must be taken into consideration to make this play profitable.

ps. of course in my case i'm so aggressive i rarely have to worry about getting paid of with my AA /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Aeioux
05-29-2005, 12:35 AM
So what was the result?

creedofhubris
05-29-2005, 02:10 AM
He folded.

AZK
05-29-2005, 02:14 AM
I folded, and opponent rubbed it in by claiming to have black kings. I wonder if I call if I'm not stuck or up...

cero_z
05-29-2005, 03:07 AM
Hi AZK,

[ QUOTE ]
He has me covered. I am going for the kill, not for 160, I don't need people telling me to reraise preflop, it's heads up and I'm trying to move beyond that.

[/ QUOTE ]

You need to go back to it. If your assessments are close to right, you have an easy re-raise to at least 700. He is ABC and has AA/KK/maybe QQ. You are LAG, stuck, and appear desparate. He can never get away from this if you re-raise to 900 or less. He calls 90% of the time he has QQ if you move all-in, and 100% with KK+.

Also, he did not have the black Kings if you really know this guy. At worst, he had AK with the Ad. More likely AdAx/KdKx/QQ/AdKd.

When you have a really bad night, it manifests itself in some weird ways, but there's usually a common thread: going for too many chips at once, whether by overplaying a hand or incorrectly slowplaying a big hand. Pressing, in other words. Everyone has these nights, and you have to distinguish yourself as a cut above by not sabotaging yourself when the chips are down. This is hard as hell, and if I accomplish it routinely by the time I'm 30 I'll be thrilled.