PDA

View Full Version : Long irons

Duke
05-28-2005, 02:29 PM
Why are they being phased out, and why do people find them tough to hit with?

In my VERY limited experience, I can almost -only- hit with the long irons, and have had zero luck trying out hybrids and fairway woods. Without a tee I'm SOL with a big club head.

Anyhow, just wanted to hear some thoughts on it. Perhaps finding out why others can't do what I can, and I can't do what they can will help me identify problems in my swing that need to be fixed.

Or maybe I'll just be stuck club-hunting.

~D

kerssens
05-28-2005, 02:31 PM
My problem with long irons is I tend to swing too hard and not trust that with a nice easy swing that I'm gonna be able to hit the ball as far as is necessary. My long iron problems are mostly mental.

brassnuts
05-28-2005, 03:02 PM
What would you consider a long iron? Anything longer than 3, or would a 3-iron be included? I used to have a 2-iron years ago when I played in highschool, absolutely loved that thing.

augie00
05-28-2005, 03:03 PM
Hitting a long iron takes a lot of strength and a powerful swing. Some people simply do not have the power to swing hard enough to generate enough spin on the ball for a proper trajectory.

That is why they are popular. It is easy to get the ball in the air without power.

ClaytonN
05-28-2005, 03:22 PM
I'm 5'9 150 and drive it 280, so I don't have many problems with long irons. I just treat it like a short fairway wood and hit down on it at a shallower angle.

The reason so many people have issues with them is you have to have the right clubspeed (faster) and swing angle (less steep).

Hybrids are replacing long irons because amateurs have a tougher time with long irons for reasons said above. Plus, you can use hybrids in many different situations. And they look like fariway woods.

Duke
05-28-2005, 05:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What would you consider a long iron? Anything longer than 3, or would a 3-iron be included? I used to have a 2-iron years ago when I played in highschool, absolutely loved that thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Apparently 3 and 4 irons are on the way out too, according to some articles I've been reading.

Maybe I can just hit them naturally since I'm fairly tall/strong. I just feel like I have a lot more control with a long iron than any of the fairway woods.

Note that this is coming from a guy who's gone golfing 4 times in the last 10 years and who is now hooked. I was all happy about a 46 on the back 9 yesterday. I was asking where to sign up to qualify for a PGA tour card.

~D

johnnybeef
05-28-2005, 05:30 PM
I was wondering the exact same thing today as i was walking around the local golf galaxy. They say that the hybrids are much more forgiving and that the true test of a golf swing is how you hit your long irons, but, if i can hit my long irons well do i need to be checking them out?

PS The thing that is making me lean towards answering yes to this is the fact that there are now many pga pros who carry a hybrid. I just don't want to drop the $ unless I am really missing out.

Blackjack
05-28-2005, 06:28 PM
I guarantee that I drive the ball farther than anyone in this thread. I absolutely murder the ball. It has nothing to do with weight or stength. it's all about flexibility and the ability to torque your upper body and hips.

However, I can't hit 3/4 irons for [censored]. I always fade the hell out of them. My swingspeed was 112 MPH last time I had it checked out with my driver. A lot of it has to do with not having your hands and lower body in sync. You need to quiet your lower body in order to hit long irons consistent.

Rescue woods/Hybrid clubs are much more forgiving and please to the eye. However, I just bought the new Nike Hybrid club and it sucks. I'm going to go back and buy the Taylor Made rescue. It seems to have gotten much better reviews.

FatMan
05-28-2005, 06:33 PM
I hit up to a 5 Iron well, 3 & 4 iron I suck with, but I hit my 2 iron well. Go figure. I need to get rid of 2, 3, 4 iron and just go with a 5 & 7 wood and stick another wedge in my bag.

ClaytonN
05-28-2005, 06:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I always fade the hell out of them. My swingspeed was 112 MPH last time I had it checked out with my driver. A lot of it has to do with not having your hands and lower body in sync. You need to quiet your lower body in order to hit long irons consistent.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whenever I have this problem with my woods and my long irons, it's due to my arms not catching up. When you turn your shoulders a lot in proportion to your hips, they have to come down with the ball in sync. Otherwise, your arms don't catch up and you fade it.

Blackjack
05-28-2005, 06:47 PM
Yea.. like I said - have to have a quiet lower body if you're fading the long irons. The local course I play at it pretty short... 6600 yards from the blues so the only time I'd ever even think of hitting a long iron is on one of the 220+ yard par 3s or as a second shot to a long par 5. I need suggestions of a great fairway wood.

I currently have a Tightlies 3 Wood, Taylor Burner 5 Wood, Ping Iso 5 Wood, Cobra Gravity Back Strong 3.

I can't hit any of them... It's awful. There's a big gap in yardage in my game.. 300(driver)-210(rescue wood).

Blackjack

ceyoung
05-28-2005, 07:00 PM
with a 112 mph swingspeed you probably are not the longest driver in this thread.

diddle
05-28-2005, 07:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
with a 112 mph swingspeed you probably are not the longest driver in this thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

If he was, he's not anymore.

Blackjack
05-28-2005, 07:09 PM
That was before the 'roids dude.

112 on an average swing - not giving it all I got. I could get a few more MPH with a harder swing.

Tiger's speed is around 128.
Average pro is about 115 mph.

ceyoung
05-28-2005, 07:14 PM
112mph is a good swing speed. but its not anything remarkable.

Blackjack
05-28-2005, 07:16 PM
Yay virtual pissing contests
http://content.collegehumor.com/img/p/partygirls.w492.jpg

diddle
05-28-2005, 07:21 PM
well done

judgesmails
05-28-2005, 07:31 PM
Ditto. 112 is not much. Not to belabor the point, but you would be the shortest hitter in our weekend group.

Blackjack
05-28-2005, 07:33 PM
I guess y'all bomb every drive 320 /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I ain't no professional but I could snap your neck in half.
http://content.collegehumor.com/img/f/freak!!.jpg