PDA

View Full Version : Official England/US Football (Soccer) Match

mmbt0ne
05-28-2005, 01:37 PM
Haven't played each other in 11 years, and now it's time to throw down! 6th in the world, against 10th in the world. Both teams are missing some serious players though, like Rooney, Owen, Lampard, Beckham, Reyna, Beasley, Mastroeni, and Eddie Lewis (If you don't know who plays for which team here, you can probably stop reading).

Here's a nice little segment from ESPN about the game:

Even if this game was taking place a few months after a World Cup and featured several little-known youngster, it would still mean something. Never mind Paul Revere, Concord and Lexington and everything else that transpired over 200 years ago - soccer is the game that England has created. It's also the home of arguably the top league in the world. They have a history that goes back 100 years. The 1934 and 1950 World Cup notwithstanding, soccer history in the U.S. goes back to Paul Caligiuri's goal in 1989.

As much as the U.S. national team has accomplished over the years and despite the development of Major League Soccer, there remains a great deal of respect to be earned around the world. A victory on Saturday won't mean anything in the short run, but it would be yet another indication that the American aren't just capable of playing at the highest level, but that they are at the highest level already.

And for all you who have nothing better to do, at VIP:
314 England (+120)
DRAW (+220)
313 USA (+180)

BWebb
05-28-2005, 01:47 PM
Is this on tv in the states? What time does it start?

BWebb
05-28-2005, 01:49 PM
Nevermind, just saw 3 est on ESPN. Thanks, I would have missed it.

pshreck
05-28-2005, 02:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Nevermind, just saw 3 est on ESPN. Thanks, I would have missed it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, now I can avoid it.

alekhine8
05-28-2005, 02:34 PM
As much as I hate to say it, you have to favor England. The US has a lot of players injured. If it was a World Cup game featuring the best eleven from each country, I think you'd have a good game.

But the overall depth of England is going to hurt - the replacements for the US for guys like Beasley, Reyna, Lewis, Johnson (declared out for this game yesterday) is a much bigger dropoff to the next guy compared to England not having Gerrard, Bechkam, etc.

Having said that - GO USA!

Pompey
05-28-2005, 02:57 PM
ok prediction time

boring scrappy first half 0-0
England get a second half goal to win 1-0

(But then I also thought the champions league final would be settled by a single goal.

I think there's too many uncapped/second choice players starting for us to show any real cohesion or much exciting footy.

partygirluk
05-28-2005, 03:22 PM
1-0 to the Eng-er-land

emil3000
05-28-2005, 03:23 PM
What the hell? USA's nr 10 in the world at soccer now? That sucks...

beckham9
05-28-2005, 03:50 PM
two nil...

BWebb
05-28-2005, 03:55 PM
US had a couple of good opportunities, but besides Landon there really isn't a scorer on the field. Don't know what Pope was doing on that second goal, he's usually very solid.

pootle
05-28-2005, 04:09 PM
How the [censored] is the US the tenth best team at football in the world?

I hope to god you made a mistake. In the early 90's Tractor Pulling was more popular as a sport in the US than football.

mmbt0ne
05-28-2005, 04:20 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />
How the [censored] is the US the tenth best team at football in the world?

[/ QUOTE ]

World Cup Quarterfinalist, dominating all CONCACAF games not played in Mexico City. Latest results. (http://fifa.com/en/mens/results/resultsdetails/0,2962,,00.html?param7=1&amp;dd=0&amp;param5=ALL&amp;select13= USA&amp;select14=ALL&amp;radiobutton=ALL)

How was your World Cup? /images/graemlins/tongue.gif (hey, you gotta give me SOMETHING here)

I hope to god you made a mistake.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope. (http://fifa.com/en/mens/statistics/index/0,2548,All-May-2005,00.html)

In the early 90's Tractor Pulling was more popular as a sport in the US than football.

[/ QUOTE ]

It still is in some places. Sad. I think the difference is, in most countries it's a game played by the poor to get rich, and the rich to have fun. In America, it's only played by the rich to have fun. If you're poor, and athletic, football is the last choice.

mmbt0ne
05-28-2005, 04:36 PM
Too bad we didn't get the PK we deserved.

mmbt0ne
05-28-2005, 04:45 PM
GGGGOOOOOOAAAALLLLLL

James282
05-28-2005, 04:46 PM
DEMPSEY!!!!!
-James

James282
05-28-2005, 04:48 PM
Casey SO close. I love his speed.
-James

mmbt0ne
05-28-2005, 04:59 PM
How do you stop running at the goal with 1 minute left?!?!?!?!

James could've given us a tie right there.

Oh well. The US played a great 2nd half. There were a lot of opportunities that we just couldn't turn into shots, but overall I was pretty happy with how they played.

DBowling
05-28-2005, 04:59 PM
Why does the clock count up instead of down?
Why do they add stoppage time at the end rather than stopping the clock as the stoppages occur?

BWebb
05-28-2005, 05:02 PM
Good second half. I was impressed by Wolff's play especially.

James282
05-28-2005, 05:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How do you stop running at the goal with 1 minute left?!?!?!?!

James could've given us a tie right there.

Oh well. The US played a great 2nd half. There were a lot of opportunities that we just couldn't turn into shots, but overall I was pretty happy with how they played.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed, it's very encouraging to watch them play evenly with such a good team. It's only a matter of time for US soccer, really.
-James

Pocket Trips
05-28-2005, 05:06 PM
bloddy wankers!!! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Great game...

On a side note anyone else here in the states watch the Fox soccer channel???

Just discovered this channel last week and it has become my new favorite channel to watch

mmbt0ne
05-28-2005, 05:11 PM
It was interesting to see them play against such attacking forwards. Most of the teams we're used to playing don't have that kind of style. I think they were able to adjust to it well in the 2nd half.

I really wish we could've had some better forwards in the game. It seemed like anytime someone made a run and tried to lay it off there was no one to receive the ball except the England defense. I thought Convey looked a lot better than I expected, though, even in his short time out there.

pootle
05-28-2005, 06:03 PM
Well I stand corrected on my previous post !

Yowsa! I can't believe you yanks are finally liking some proper sports /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Nice one mmbt0ne /images/graemlins/smile.gif