PDA

View Full Version : A5o SB

PJM1206
05-28-2005, 07:56 AM
New to Forum. This is my first posting. I have been playing Limit for about a year and am ok preflop but need major work post flop. Thought I would throw a few hands up occasionally to see what some of the more experienced players think.
This is Poker Stars $1-2 table. Didnt really have much of a read on any players. My general observation was that the table seemed tight.

PokerStars 1/2 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG+1 calls,1 fold, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, 2 folds, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (5 SB) J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif 5 players
Hero checks, BB checks, UTG+1 checks, MP2 bets,MP3 raises, Hero 3-bets, BB folds, UTG+1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 caps, Hero calls.

Turn: (7 BB) 6/images/graemlins/club.gif (2 players)
Hero bets, MP3 raises, Hero calls.

River: (11 BB) K/images/graemlins/club.gif (2 players)
Hero checks, MP3 bets, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 13 BB

stretch22
05-28-2005, 08:14 AM
was it your intention to check-raise the whole time? i don't think you were by any means guaranteed someone was going to bet for you to raise on since no one showed aggression preflop IMO

I would have 3-bet the turn and bet the river. Anyone with JJ or AA would have raised preflop, probably the same goes for AJ. 55 is unlikely since there is one on the board and you've got another. Probably wouldn't call with J5. I just can't imagine he's got anything that's beating you after the flop, and the turn and river couldn't help him either. AK would have raised preflop. I think you've got to try and get all you can out of this hand.

stretch22
05-28-2005, 08:25 AM
welcome /images/graemlins/smirk.gif /images/graemlins/laugh.gif /images/graemlins/wink.gif /images/graemlins/smile.gif /images/graemlins/cool.gif

PJM1206
05-28-2005, 08:40 AM
Yes, my intent was to check raise the whole time. I was a little surprised at the raise. After he capped the flop I was more concerned about AJo than any thing else. It was the only hand I could think that someone may not raise preflop yet would raise on that board. Again I had no real reads on any of these folks as I had only been in a few hands

FlyingStart
05-28-2005, 08:49 AM
Should you even complete with A5o?

toss
05-28-2005, 08:50 AM
Preflop call from the SB is most likely incorrect. With 3 limpers I'm completing any two suited cards, and two cards that add up to 20, and and pocket pair. A5o is too weak. I think the line is drawn at something like A8o if you're a really good player.

Rest of the hand looks good.

@bsolute_luck
05-28-2005, 08:54 AM
welcome to the boards!

fold preflop. bet out on the flop- you're not sure if it will get bet behind you and you have a great hand.

the rest of the hand played out fine.

Womble
05-28-2005, 09:03 AM
ITH recommends playing Axo from the SB but I think this hand can get you into a lot of trouble. When you hit an A you cant be sure your good when people call or you get raised /images/graemlins/confused.gif

In your situation, you have a very good hand. On the flop AJs would typically raise prefop (unless tight raiser) so AJo and 55 are your only fears. Remember that the player may be aggressive and just be betting a strong A like Aqo or AT

I would just bet the flop, although knowing when/if to slow down when played back at is very difficult. I can hardly see just a good A playing this way

PJM1206
05-28-2005, 09:17 AM
I appreciate the feedback it is helpfull. I agree that the preflop call was at best marginal. Typically I play A8o, K9s, QJs/JTs and maybe any Ace if only button limps in. I was tilting a little from boredom so played a little weeker starting hand than noraml. After the hand I was on major tilt and left. The guy was sitting on JJ who would have thought ... but that was the way my day went. This just renforces the idea of where do you draw the line ---- patience patience patience!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

@bsolute_luck
05-28-2005, 09:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
ITH recommends playing Axo from the SB but I think this hand can get you into a lot of trouble. When you hit an A you cant be sure your good when people call or you get raised /images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
welp, i haven't read ITH, but unless you hit a flop like this hand, i don't see how it is worth it IMO. SSH pg74:

[ QUOTE ]
(regarding Junk Offsuit Hands) Our recommendations for thse hands is even stronger than it is for suited junk hands: Do not play them. Note that this category contains offsuite aces (A9-A2) and offsuite connectors (T9-54)....Until you have mastered preflop play, you should avoid thses hands altogether.

[/ QUOTE ]

for loose games. Possible exceptions are A9,T9, and 98 for one bet only.

D'OH
05-28-2005, 12:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ITH recommends a lot of weird things like calling JJ from MP. Don't follow the starting hands from this book is my advice.

ClaytonN
05-28-2005, 01:29 PM
Hey, I play Stars 1/2 as well! PM me your username /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

As for the play, I think you got raped by a set since this is an unraised pot.

I would have bet this out on the flop, because since the pot is unraised there is a good percentage of the time it could have been checked around and you're giving broadway hands and suited hands chances to catch something. Plus you also get a scope on what kinds of hands other players have.

If I had the A5o, it would have gotten capped on the flop anyways, but I would have bet out.

I put villain on 55, JJ, or AJ in order of likelyhood. Most likely 55. AJ if villain if very passive preflop. JJ if he's a limping fishy.

PJM1206
05-28-2005, 01:53 PM
Who is the author of ITH? If they recommend calling with JJ as this guy did I find that odd. I try to raise as much as I can preflop and JJ is at least a 3 bet to me. It would seem that doing less would be overly passive play. I am trying to get up around 7-10% PFR and giving up JJ would have me well below 5%, I would guess.

ClaytonN
05-28-2005, 01:55 PM
So he did have JJ?

He's a limping passive fish /images/graemlins/wink.gif

AA-99 are easy raises, plus AKs-ATs, AKo-ATo, KQs and KJs

These all vary with position. Sometimes I might raise 77 in LP given circumstances, and sometimes I might fold ATo in EP in certain circumstances. My PFR% is around 9.5

PJM1206
05-28-2005, 02:07 PM
Yes, he was a freakin "limpy fishy"

ClaytonN
05-28-2005, 02:09 PM
ITH is Matt Hilger.

Get SSH, though. Ed Miller.