PDA

View Full Version : Poker Earnings to be taxed in the UK

ipp147
05-28-2005, 07:06 AM
Ok. I have no proof of this hence we are in the gossip forum but I open my Telegraph this morning and one of the supplements that falls out has Ben "Milky Bar Kid" grundy on the front.

"The first thing anyone will tell you about Ben Grundy is that he looks about 12 years old. The second is that he has earned more than £80,000 tax-free this year - by playing poker"

With this and that girl that was splashed all over the mail/sun recently I wonder how long Mr Brown will ignore this for?

daveymck
05-28-2005, 08:55 AM
No I dont envisage a time when gambling earnings will be taxed in the UK, it would be an incredibly unpopular move and would have the Bookies, Bingo and pools places even more up in arms than they are already.

It would also cut sales to the lottery iamgine the 1m prize but only getting 600k of it.

Some poiker players are getting away with it but lets face it they are a small majority of people, a few hundred max earning over 100k a year tax free, there are many other groups they will look to persecute first (like my IT business for example).

imported_bingobazza
05-28-2005, 03:26 PM
everything he said....and even if they did, the UK is such a poor country to live in now, you can up sticks and move anywhere you like...

Oh, and dont forget, this governemnt only recently liberalised gambling by stopping the 9% tax on punters gambling winnings at bookies shops. They tax the bookies directly now, and the tax mans take has gone up a lot as a result....tax 1, tax all, or tax none...hopefully. One of the reasons why they are allowing party to float in the UK is to make more money from global gambling.......dollars from Americans flowing into UK tax mans coffers...nice one Gordan.