PDA

View Full Version : These dreadful minbets

Atropos
05-28-2005, 06:53 AM
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

CO ($98.43)
Button ($104.4)
Hero ($239.53)
BB ($237.56)
UTG ($278.35)
MP ($167.55)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 8/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif. Hero posts a blind of $0.5.
UTG calls $1, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero (poster) completes, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to $1</font>, UTG calls $1, Hero calls $1.

Flop: ($6) A/images/graemlins/club.gif, 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets $1</font>, UTG calls $1, Hero calls $1.

Turn: ($9) Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets $1</font>, UTG calls $1, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $6</font>, BB calls $5, UTG calls $5.

River: ($27) 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets $10</font>, Hero folds, BB folds.

Final Pot: $37

I hate it when my opponents minbet into decent pots. Because if I raise to pot-size with vulnerable hands it always looks like a bluff, raising 1/2 pot is still getting called all the time. The river bet seemed like a value bet to me, thats why I folded.

boondockst
05-28-2005, 07:02 AM
I really dont' understand this hand. There is absolutely no way you can call preflop if you won't call that river. You're assuming the villain likes his hand. You check-raised him on the turn. I can't see him not re-raising and the river bet amount looks fishy. Maybe this is a stupid way to play KK? The flop call convinced him you didn't have an ace...you raising on the queen made him think he had you beat...?? The way you played it, you HAVE to call that river or at least put out a blocking bet on the river before it gets to him..$10-$15-ish...Somehow i think you already know this if you're playing NL 100 and have 463 posts so I don't know why I'm posting this

Atropos
05-28-2005, 07:07 AM
Yeah blocking bet would have been better. I think I have to implement this into my play. I dont think he had KK here, he was raising many many hands, minraising with suited junk etc... I was more worried about the BB, normally when he just called and called and called everything it was some wacky draw. I didnt realize that two flush draws did not get there at the river and only worried about some fishy straight. But with pot odds I should have called /images/graemlins/frown.gif

boondockst
05-28-2005, 07:09 AM
For only $10 i'd be happy to call with aces up, and especially if they're as fishy as you say they are. No offense, but you still can't mess around with A8o profitably.

BZ_Zorro
05-28-2005, 07:53 AM
Why are you check-calling and check raising with such a vunerable hand? I'm newish to 6max and curious. Why not find out where you stand right off the bat? It's not like the board is going to improve for you with the next card.

[ QUOTE ]
I hate it when my opponents minbet into decent pots

[/ QUOTE ]

Since starting 6max I've found that min bets are often from weak players with weak hands, or (quite rarely) monsters hoping to be raised. Unless you're up against a very tricky player, it's best to put it to the test and find out imo. Most of the time you'll pick up the pot.

pzhon
05-28-2005, 08:30 AM
It's hard to put UTG on a hand, but I think you should call on the river. This could be a value bet with a weaker hand like 98, or it could be a bluff with a missed draw.

MLerra
05-28-2005, 09:06 AM
If the villain had a hand, I'd think he would have raised somewhere before the river. He played pretty passively, you got the best possible river card for yourself. Perhaps he caught the 8 for an inside straight draw? That's the only conceivable thing I could see being worried about here. And if that's the case, paying off the $10 would still have made his turn call a poor play and I'd do it. You lose to AQ, A9, or a set... in every case, if he had it, he would have had it on the turn as well. Just calling $1 on the turn like that is atrocious with such a hand, I'd expect better from an average PP100 player, and I don't say that often.

Skip Brutale
05-28-2005, 06:09 PM
I dont understand why you would check-raise 2 guys with no kicker, then check-fold when you pair your kicker.