PDA

View Full Version : QJs in a multiway pot

Mikey
05-28-2005, 03:20 AM
the game is 10-20 HE loose and passive 10 handed
, so I decide its time to raise UTG +1 with

Q /images/graemlins/heart.gifJ /images/graemlins/heart.gif.

I get the cutoff to call and both blinds to call and the limper, the two players to my left have cold called 3 of last previous raises, but this time they opt to fold.

5 of us take the flop

J 9 8r no heart on board

The SB leads out, the BB calls, UTG + 1 calls.
I call, the cutoff calls.

the turn is a 6 completing the rainbow.

SB leads out, the BB folds, and UTG + 1 calls.
I raise, the cutoff, and the SB and the UTG + 1 calls.

The river is a 4.

SB checks, UTG checks, I check, cutoff checks.

Lets see raising on the flop here I think is wrong but I'm not sure I can say why, I just feel instinctively I shouldn't so I could wait for a a better turn card to give my hand better value.

After I raised on the turn I'm thinking that only hands I'm ahead of here is someone is holding a Jack is JT.

AJ, KJ, J9, and J8 are the ones that have me beat, and now this is twice that the SB leads into the field.

I then realize on the turn after my raise that JT is very unlikely because of the UTG caller and the cutoff cold calling a raise..... and hence my check on the river.

I think I played this hand fine, but looking back at it, there really isn't much I was ahead of here, but at the same time its too good to fold.

Would you have taken my same line of play?

Your Mom
05-29-2005, 03:30 AM
bet the riv. they will call w/ all kinds of crap.

dutchgrl
05-30-2005, 03:21 AM
Raise the flop. You have top pair and an inside straight draw, and you might get the button to fold a gutshot. And you get information about the strength of hand of the original bettor. Plus you have position if a terrible card hits the turn. And the river is an easy bet, they will call you with hands that are much worse.

SpaceAce
05-30-2005, 02:39 PM
I raise the flop. Not so much to knock out draws but because I have top pair and a gutshot. If I get the expected 3:1 on my raise, I am making money. Were you going for the whole "wait for a safe turn card" thing? If there was a flush draw out, I think that would be more valid but as it is, I like a raise.

Bet the river. No one has shown any real strength. Nobody came over your turn raise and you were checked to on the river. I think you have a clear value bet, here.

SpaceAce