PDA

View Full Version : Should I bet this flop?

SlyGuy
05-28-2005, 02:04 AM
The preflop call is iffy but i was getting my blinds stolen too much.

Should I bet this flop? Cap the River? Any better line?

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is SB with K/images/graemlins/club.gif, 8/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: (5 SB) J/images/graemlins/club.gif, 5/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (4.50 BB) 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (6.50 BB) 9/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 12.50 BB

Scotch78
05-28-2005, 02:10 AM
You have to cap this river.

Scott

SlyGuy
05-28-2005, 02:12 AM
Yeah. I know. It was one of those hands where you just know the guy has the nutter. /images/graemlins/blush.gif

___1___
05-28-2005, 02:19 AM
SlyGuy,

If you want to play K8s in the sb vs. a button raise you should be 3-betting. There are very specific instances where coldcalling a button's stealraise might be correct, but the vast majority of the time you should be 3-betting. Colcalling in this spot is a bad habit to get into unless there is a specific reason for it.

And, yes, you should be capping this river.

___1___

SlyGuy
05-28-2005, 02:50 AM
Cold calling is not a habit I have to break. I rarely do it. So the rule of thumb when protecting your blinds is to auto 3 bet?

Entity
05-28-2005, 02:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Cold calling is not a habit I have to break. I rarely do it. So the rule of thumb when protecting your blinds is to auto 3 bet?

[/ QUOTE ]

When protecting your small blind (not big blind), it's often better to 3-bet than to call. However, I wouldn't recommend doing this often with K8s, barring specific reads.

spydog
05-28-2005, 05:11 AM
Preflop: 3-bet this if you suspect the button is stealing 50% of the time or more. You may also 3-bet if the button will laydown for 1-bet on the flop after you 3-bet in this situation.

Flop: Checkraise. This is your best chance to get him to fold on the flop. If you are 3-bet then you will be able to make a better laydown later in the hand if you pair up.

River: Cap. He can't 5-bet you so you only have to be ahead 51% of the time for this be correct. He will have a worse flush, trips, 2-pair way more than the nut flush. Don't be a skirt.

cartman
05-28-2005, 12:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Preflop: 3-bet this if you suspect the button is stealing 50% of the time or more. You may also 3-bet if the button will laydown for 1-bet on the flop after you 3-bet in this situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this 50% just a ballpark guess or is there a specific reason it is 50 instead of 40, for instance. I am interested in you methodology because I am pretty clueless as to what my 3-bet criteria should be versus various opponents.

[ QUOTE ]
Flop: Checkraise. This is your best chance to get him to fold on the flop. If you are 3-bet then you will be able to make a better laydown later in the hand if you pair up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? It seems like an AJ flop will connect so frequently with a preflop raiser's hand that check-raising is a recipe for disaster. I often do this on flops that I think he likely missed but, given the typical opponent's willingness to call all the turn bet and even a river bet with just A high, I think I am probably wasting chips even then. Am I wrong?

Thanks,
Cartman