PDA

View Full Version : Failed Isolation Attempt

Scotch78
05-28-2005, 12:27 AM
UTG is a borderline calling station who is short-stacked. In the past five minutes or so he's gone all-in pre-flop with A6 and on another hand he raised with J4, bluffed the QQx flop heads-up and then bet all-in on the turn jack. CO is brand new and unknown.

I could easily be ahead of UTG, but I don't have a clue about the CO and don't think he's folding to a double bet. I don't remember how much UTG had left, but I know it wasn't enough for a full bet on every street.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is MP with 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#CC3333">UTG (LP) raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, UTG (LP) calls.

Flop: (10.40 SB) 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">LP bets</font>, Hero folds

Scott

einbert
05-28-2005, 12:31 AM
I think this is a good fold. When a loose passive leads into a preflop reraiser on this kind of flop I give him some credit. No reason to continue in the hand.

Scotch78
05-28-2005, 12:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
When a loose passive leads into a preflop reraiser on this kind of flop I give him some credit

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not even giving him credit for A-high at this point. It's the CO I'm concerned about.

Scott

einbert
05-28-2005, 12:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm not even giving him credit for A-high at this point. It's the CO I'm concerned about.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, I'm saying that even though this guy tends to make weird bets sometimes, since he isn't raising a very high percentage of his hands this flop is going to hit a lot of the hands he raised.

And CO just makes things even worse, calling three cold happens sometimes from total idiots, but most of the time the guy has some kind of hand I think. You have the best hand on this flop a very very small fraction of the time, so I think folding is the best move.

Scotch78
05-28-2005, 12:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
since he isn't raising a very high percentage of his hands this flop is going to hit a lot of the hands he raised.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I was going by the PFR% it's an easy fold pre-flop. I'm going by the fact that he just open-raised with J4 a few hands ago. And given that info, it's about 2-1 that I'm ahead of him. If it were heads-up I would be raising this flop every time.

Scott

naphand
05-28-2005, 03:21 AM
So he is raising face card plus any kicker (or any PP)? You are behind to him a significant portion of the time on this flop, and CO's cold call makes life even worse. It is very likely CO has one of these cards or a PP over your 66, 55-22 is possible is he is bad enough but you will be behind enough times and outdrawn enough times to make playing on not worth it. The combined prospect of being behind already or getting drawn out PLUS stuck between the two makes a fold good, but tough when you put in 3 PF.

Scotch78
05-28-2005, 03:29 AM
Nap, how would you play it if the flop were heads-up?

Scott

naphand
05-28-2005, 03:44 AM
If this were heads-up I would be strongly tempted to raise the flop, but against a loose-passive I have learned to respect their bets a little more. LPs do not play HU well, except they are pretty tencious and hyper-aggression is not a successful strategy until you have taught them to fold. Generally they bet when they have it plus some draws, they call when they don't plus some draws, sometimes they fold nothing when you have previously shown them good hands. Play cautiously to start with, and up the aggro later when you have more of a handle.

Early in a HU I would raise the 66 on the flop and probably try to get to SD cheap, if 3-bet on flop like this I probably dump it immediately. Later I would hope to have enough of a read to determine what his (initial) flop bet means. If I had a reasonable suspicion he would make a feeler-bet on a draw or any Ace, I might peel one and see if he bets the Turn again (fold if he does, bet if he checks).

Nate tha' Great
05-28-2005, 04:31 AM
Easy fold. Horrid situation for your hand. Don't stop 3-betting with a hand like 66 when the time is right. One of the reasons that 3-betting with 66 here can be profitable is because you can fold in a spot like this without giving it a second thought.