PDA

View Full Version : Windows problem - please help

PokerFink
05-27-2005, 11:49 PM
I got my computer back from the repair shop today, and I have a big problem. Here is the backround behind what is going on.

A while ago, my windows got corrupted. I don't know how, but my computer would not start. I took my computer to a repair center, bought a new hard drive, and they installed windows onto the new hard drive. They set up my new hard drive as the main drive, and my old one as the slave. They did this so that they would not have to wipe my old hard drive to re-install windows (buying a new hard drive was cheaper than using their backup service... go figure).

So now I'm running my computer off my new hard drive, and I am in the process of copying files and programs from my old drive to my new one and setting up my new windows how I like it. I plan to copy over what I need from my old drive, then wipe the old drive to erase all the corrupted windows files.

The problem is that some of my files are locked. When I log into windows, I password lock my user. Many of my important files were saved to the desktop, which is saved in the documents and settings folder. Since these files are in my user's folder in documents and settings, they are password locked as well. And since I can't log into that user (since the old windows is corrupted), I cannot retrieve the files.

I can't burn them onto a cd, I can't copy the folder to the new drive, I can't even open the folder. When I try to open or copy the folder, a window pops up that says it is not accessable, and that access is denied.

Does anyone know how I can get around this problem so that I can retrieve these files?

Thanks.

CallMeIshmael
05-27-2005, 11:51 PM
I (with not great computer knowledge) thought the desktop was saved in the documents and settinngs folder.

You might bet better replies in like OOT though.

EDIT: LOL!!!! Thought I was in SS. My bad.

tbach24
05-27-2005, 11:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You might bet better replies in like OOT though.

[/ QUOTE ]

No man, for computer specs, OOT >>>>>>> OOT, and it's not even close.

CallMeIshmael
05-27-2005, 11:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
EDIT: LOL!!!! Thought I was in SS. My bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

I got there first!!