PDA

View Full Version : 40/80 Lowball at Commerce

jkinetic
05-27-2005, 11:36 PM
Greetings,

I am predomintantly a limit and no limit holdem player but am very interested in learning all games the best I can.

The few times I am at Commerce from the morning to the afternoon during the week, usually during a monster session of playing some form of holdem, I see this 40/80 game of Lowball going on with a bunch of oldtimers. They always seem to be the same people everytime, seriously, same clothes, always take the same seats, etc.

Few questions:

Is this game single draw or triple draw?

How does the betting structure work?

Is A,2,3,4,5 the nut hand?

This game mildly interests me as there are few if any low limit lowball games in LA to cut my teeth into.

bygmesterf
05-28-2005, 12:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Greetings,

I am predomintantly a limit and no limit holdem player but am very interested in learning all games the best I can.

The few times I am at Commerce from the morning to the afternoon during the week, usually during a monster session of playing some form of holdem, I see this 40/80 game of Lowball going on with a bunch of oldtimers. They always seem to be the same people everytime, seriously, same clothes, always take the same seats, etc.

Few questions:

Is this game single draw or triple draw?

How does the betting structure work?

Is A,2,3,4,5 the nut hand?

This game mildly interests me as there are few if any low limit lowball games in LA to cut my teeth into.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, this is california lowball, A2345 is the wheel, joker in the deck, must bet a 7 after the draw.

3 blinds of 40-20-10, You should (Must?) raise if you opening the pot, don't draw to an 8, and don't draw two.It is the same old bunch of old timers with the same old bad habits, that didn't work in 1985 and still dont work in 2005. This game is somewhat tighter than the average lowball game of 1985 but it is still beatable.

There are also 15/30 and 20/40 Lowball games at the Normandie club.

I might add that if you are into right wing politics, especially concerning israel, They will love you. This game is strictly a morning/afternoon game since everyone needs to get home in time for Matlock /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Chris Daddy Cool
05-28-2005, 05:08 PM
a-5 single draw lowball. i don't know the exact rules to it in terms of betting and openings though.

the main reason you see the same group of oldtimers is because it is the same group of players that played back in the mid 80's when poker was first legalized and lowball was the main game. these types of games like many of the old games of yesteryear have a hard time attracting new players with the hold'em craze going on nowadays. however, from what i understand an expert's edge in this game over inferior competition is a lot compared to other forms.