PDA

View Full Version : Guide to NLHE Tournament Play

betgo
05-27-2005, 11:14 PM
I have decided to shamelessly crosspost my guide to tournmanet play on this forum. While I may expand it to cover SNG-specific topics, many of the concepts apply.

This is the third edition of my guide no limit holdem tournament play. Like Doyle Brunson, I see everyone using my plays. However, unlike Mr. Brunson, my new edition includes even more of my secrets.

The earlier editions of this manual have encountered criticism. Some people even thought this manual was a joke. However, if properly understood, this manual will help you avoid various elementary errors.

I. Preflop Play

A. The Gap Principle

The gap principle states that you need a bigger hand to raise than to call a raise. In general, you should avoid raising before the flop, but you can limp or call a raise. You can limp with any pair, any two high cards, or any suited or connecting cards. In general, once you have limped in, you can call a raise of any size.

B. Raising

If you must raise, it is generally best to make a miniraise. That way you avoid knocking anyone out of the pot. Since you think you have the best hand, you want as many people in the pot as possible.

Another approach is to open raise from early position for 5-10x BB with KK-99 or AJ-AK. That way you can frequently pick up the pot right there. Plus you can build a big pot and your opponents will feel intimidated that you have such a big hand. Also, if anyone reraises you after such a big raise, you can be pretty sure they have you beat and you can fold.

C. Cold calling raises.

You need a stronger hand to cold call a raise than to call if you have already limped. Generally, you can call with any ace or any two high cards.

C. Allin raises by short stacks

If a short stack raises allin rather than making a normal raise or limping that is an indication that he does not have a strong hand and is just trying to steal the blinds. Therefore, you can call with any hand you would normally limp with.

D. Playing a Big Stack

If you follow the advice in this manual, you will frequently find yourself with a big stack. Now you have a chance at the big money. Don’t blow it! Play cautiously and stay out of trouble.

E. Playing the Short Stack

With a short stack, you want to limp in and see as many flops as possible. Remember, you really don’t have anything until you see a flop. However, if you are raised you can call as usual.

Another approach is to limp or miniraise and then fold if some raises. That way you avoid busting out by running into a big hand.

Sometimes, you do need to make an allin move. It should usually be made from early position for greater intimidation value. When short stacked, it is good to go allin with any ace.

F. What To Do If a Short Stack is Allin

If a short stack is allin in front of you, you should flat call with any of the limping hands discussed above, but you should never raise over the top.

G. If Two or More Players Are Allin

If two or more players are allin before the flop, this is a great opportunity to win a big pot. Generally, you can call with any ace, any two high cards, or any pair.

H. Stealing the Blinds

While we generally don’t advocate raising, sometimes you want to raise to steal the blinds. This is often effective early in the tournament. Generally it is good to make a miniraise to steal the blinds. Good hands to steal with are any ace or king. You can also steal with total junk (after all you are stealing). This will confuse your opponents and get you more action when you really do have a hand. If you steal and are reraised, you should generally push. Don’t let anyone resteal from you. If you get 2 or 3 callers, you should follow up with a big bet on the flop whatever cards hit.

I. Punishing the Limpers

We will cover an advanced strategy known as “punishing the limpers” that is highly respected by some, although we prefer an alternate approach known as “punishing the raisers.” Punishing the limpers assumes that a limper is unlikely to have a strong hand. This approach may work against players who have not read this manual and are not aware of the advantages of limping with strong hands.

Say there are several limpers in the pot. Then you can push with any two cards, since they will probably all fold, and if not you probably have as good a hand as the one you are called with. Another approach can be used later in the tournament when limping is less common. If there is an early position limper and you are short stacked with 8xBB or less in the CO position or later, you can push with any two cards. The limper cannot have a good hand limping this late in the tournament and will probably fold. If not, you probably have the best hand plus pot odds.

J. Trapping

Trapping can be used with any hand AQ, JJ or better from any position. You don’t raise with these hands. You just limp in. Then if someone raises, you reraise. Alternatively, you can smooth call and trap your opponent for more bets on later rounds.

II. Playing the Flop

A. Reading Hands

I will give a couple of examples which will make clear how easy it is to read your opponents hands. Say you limp with A9o, someone raises and you call. If the board comes ace high, you can put your opponent on a pair of face cards and go allin. If the board comes nine high, you can put your opponent on a big ace and go allin.

Similarly, if you limp with 77, call a raise, and the flop comes with low cards you can put your opponent on AQ or AK and go allin.

B. Playing Top Pair

You should generally be ready to go allin with top pair.

C. Playing Draws

Like top pair, you can generally call or go allin with any draw.

A more cautious approach is to make the absolute minimum bet, such as one BB. This will discourage other players from betting while you have a chance to make your hand. If you follow the advise of this manual, that will be the same way you play a big hand, so it will be difficult for opponents to raise you.

D. If You Flop a Big Hand

If you flop a big hand, it is generally best to go allin right away.

Another approach with a big hand is to trap with it. That involves making the absolute minimum bets on the flop and turn and then pushing on the river.

E. Calling on the Flop

If someone makes a small bet of ½ the pot on the flop, they probably don’t have anything, so you can call with any hand.

F. Bluffing

Bluffing is best made early in the tournament. If your initial bluff is called, follow up by going allin. You can usually intimidate your opponents into folding.

G. How to Tell If Your Opponent is Bluffing

If you bet with a strong hand and your opponent raises, you can put him on a bluff and push.

H. When to Fold

Generally, you should fold when you are sure you are beaten. You never want to throw away a winner.

I. When You Don’t Know What Else to Do, Push

This is a more advanced play that follows from the principle of never folding a winning hand. Say you are in a 3-way pot with 54s. The flop comes JT9 with a two of your suit. One player makes a pot sized bet and the other calls. If you call, you are drawing to a flush which may not be good, and you probably face more big bets on the turn, which will make it difficult to call with your draw. Since you cannot fold a hand that might be a winner, you should push. Both opponents will probably fold. If they don’t, maybe you will win with a flush.

III. Playing Specific Hands

A. Playing AQ

AQ has a reputation as a hand you can lose a lot of money with. While if you understand the contents of this manual you will realize that hands like A6 are much more profitable, AQ can also be profitable if played correctly.

The key is to never raise preflop with AQ. If you raise and an ace or queen doesn’t flop, where are you? For example, if there are two limpers in the pot and you have AQ, you should just limp. This can be a very tricky play. Say someone in late position tries to steal the pot from a bunch of limpers by pushing with AT or KQ. Won’t they be surprised when you call with AQ.

An advanced way to play AQ is to open miniraise with it from early position. This is a good compromise between raising and limping.

If you miniraise with AQ and get reraised, you should reraise allin. If someone had a big pair, they would probably smooth call according to the trapping principle outlined in this manual, so you are probably even or ahead, and your opponent may fold to the push.

While it is generally better to limp initially with AQ, if someone raises from early position, you should always reraise allin with AQ. This is a perfect semibluff. Your opponent will probably fold, and if not you are probably at least even. This follows principles of if you don’t know what else to do push.

If you limp with AQ and someone raises, you should reraise allin. They will probably think you have aces and fold. If not, you have a good chance of winning the hand.

B. Playing AA

If there are several limpers to you with AA or several players have called a raise, you should make a small raise or reraise, not big enough to make anyone fold. Remember, you have a big hand and you want action. If there is one player who has raised, make a very small reraise or flat call to trap him after the flop.

It is OK to bet the flop with AA, but not enough to make anyone fold. If someone else bets, make a small bet or flat call.

The time to make your move with AA is on the turn. You should move allin with AA on the turn no matter what.

C. Playing Medium Pairs

If there are several limpers to you or several players have called a raise, you should always raise or reraise with medium pairs. A small raise to build the pot is good. You can also make a large raise to try to win the pot or get heads up. These hands play much better heads up. With many players, someone is likely to flop a higher pair.

After the flop, you can often play medium pairs to the river. You will be surprised how often a medium pair will hold up.

IV. Playing Specific Types of Players

A. Weak/Tight Player

Early in a tournament a player who limps in and then folds to a raise and a reraise when everyone else calls is likely a weak/tight player. If someone folds to a ½ pot bet on the flop when everyone else calls, that is another sign of a weak/tight player.

The best way to deal with a weak/tight player is whenever he raises, reraise allin. The weak/tight player will almost certainly get scared and fold.

B. Maniacs

Maniacs are easy to recognize. The best way to deal with a maniac is to give him a dose of his own medicine. Don’t let him push you around. Make huge bets and raises with nothing.

V. Miscellaneous Topics

A. Adjusting to the Play of a Table

You should generally follow the lead of the other players at the table. For example, you should play tight at a tight table and loose at a loose table. At the beginning of the tournament, you can play very loose, and make and call bets much bigger than the tiny blinds. However, as the bubble approaches, you should tighten up your play considerably.

B. How to Play the Bubble

This is easy. Don’t play any hands during the bubble period. Then you avoid busting out on the bubble and not making the money. If you have a big hand you feel you have to play, miniraise. That way, you can fold if someone reraises.

Another good technique on the bubble is to stall. Take forever to make your moves. That way someone on another table will bust out first.

In a supersatellite, you should approach the bubble completely differently. In this case, there is no money to win, so the important thing is to win the tournament. If you have a big stack in a supersatellite, you should play aggressively. Reraise people allin to use their irrational fear of busting out to pick up the pot. Call pushes to bust people out. See a lot of flops and always be ready to make a move to pick up the pot.

C. Playing a Rebuy

The key to playing a rebuy is gambling to build a big stack. You don’t have to worry about busting out, since you can always rebuy if you do. You should frequently go allin preflop. Eventually, people will realize that you don’t often don’t have much and will call you, giving you a chance to get lucky and build a big stack. You should generally go allin preflop with any ace.

After the flop, you can generally go allin with any pair or draw.

After the rebuy period, you should generally raise, call a raise, or reraise with any of the limping hands discussed in the first section. If you see a flop, you should generally take your opponent allin in stages, regardless of what cards hit. Usually, your opponents will be intimidated by your aggressive play and fold.

VI. Tips From the Pros

The following tips are taken from “No Limit and Pot Limit Holdem” and other books by Cloutier and McEvoy.

You should only reraise preflop with AA or KK.

Say you raise with AK and get two callers. The flop comes AQQ. You should check/fold. While a good player would fold QQ to a raise, it is likely someone called with QQ and has quads.

Making a big overbet push from late position with a small pair is a bad play. It is better to put in a standard raise. Then you can fold if you are beaten or outdrawn.

Unsuited connectors are as good as suited connectors. You are likely to lose money by making a flush that is not the nuts.

VII. Links

http://www.cardplayer.com/poker_magazine/archives/?a_id=13878&m_id=87 A world champion reveals the secrets of how he won the WSOP.

http://www.cardplayer.com/poker_magazine/archives/?a_id=14413&m_id=65551 How to take first place.

http://www.cardplayer.com/poker_magazine/archives/?a_id=14426&m_id=65551 Cash game advice on playing AA and AK also applies to tournaments.

VIII. Recommended Reading

“Poker Tournament Strategy”, Sylvester Suzuki

“Poker Tournament Tips From the Pros”, Shane Smith

“Tournament Poker”, Tom McEvoy

“Pot Limit and No Limit Holdem”, Tom McEvoy and TJ Cloutier

“Super System II”, Doyle Brunson’s section on tournament play

Copyright 2005, Joseph Hammerman.

Phoenix1010
05-27-2005, 11:26 PM
Thank you for bringing your excellent guide to the STT forum. You should talk to DS about getting this published...

Big Limpin'
05-27-2005, 11:33 PM
This is my faorite part:

[ QUOTE ]

B. How to Play the Bubble

This is easy. Don’t play any hands during the bubble period. Then you avoid busting out on the bubble and not making the money.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK buddy. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

ilya
05-27-2005, 11:59 PM
The Varkonyi link is almost as good as your guide. *I had no idea.*

tjh
05-28-2005, 12:12 AM
This is great..

EVERYONE should link to this.

Thanks

--
tjh

Newt_Buggs
05-28-2005, 12:57 AM
haha, i'm impressed. The cardplayer links at the bottom are great too. I'm tempted to post this in the cardplayer tournament forum and see what kind of a response it gets.

johnd13
05-28-2005, 07:08 AM
"This is the third edition of my guide"

I can only cringe at what the first two editions were like...... /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Phill S
05-28-2005, 07:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
"This is the third edition of my guide"

I can only cringe at what the first two editions were like...... /images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Beyond what is a great parody of the bad advice you often find going round (*cough* helmuth *cough*), you can actually learn things from this.

Im serious, whether he meant to or not, there are concepts in it worth thought.

Phill

jumister5889
05-30-2005, 07:43 PM
Dude, much of this guide sucks. You need to learn how to isolate and to figure out that winning a small pot is better than losing a huge one.

Bigwig
05-30-2005, 07:57 PM
Heh. I'll admit that I thought you were serious at first. Then I started reading some of the sections. I'm thinking--betgo sucks. I thought he was pretty good.

Excellent post.