PDA

View Full Version : Akward encounter with a possibly gay man....

jack spade23
05-27-2005, 09:57 PM
I was at a local bookstore reading Chris Moneymaker's book about the 2003 WSOP (by the way I hated it) before work. I look across and a nice elderly man and his wife walk in. Nothing out of the ordinary, he kinda looks like Doyle Brunson. She leaves, and he sits down. A couple of minutes later, he removes a magazine from the shelf and begins to read it. Its entitled "Out", and it has a picture of a half naked dude on the cover. The man's wife is nowhere to be found. I do a double take to be sure. hes into it, reading in depth. ten minutes later, he puts it away and she comes back and they leave. I felt like I was in a Seinfeld episode.

Is there anyone (ahem, talk2bigsteve?) who knows if there is content in this magazine that heterosexual people will read? Cause he could just be an old guy who doesn't give a [censored] what anyone thinks, as long as the article is good. Also, there is the possibility that they're just really old swingers that switch hit, but thats pretty remote.

partygirluk
05-27-2005, 10:00 PM
joking right?

jack spade23
05-27-2005, 10:03 PM
The story is true. the probability that the magazine could be read by heteros = laughable

partygirluk
05-27-2005, 10:06 PM
Do you think FHM could be read by a gay guy?

Hell, it is For Him Magazine but I know lots of girls that read it.

cockandbull
05-27-2005, 10:07 PM
happy birthday

jack spade23
05-27-2005, 10:09 PM
Yea, a gay guy could rad FHM, but will any heterosexual male sit down in a public place and read Out magazine? Gay guys dont care (i think) whether people see them reading FHM. There kinda different. Regardless of what it had inside, good or bad writing, all the guys I know would never let anyone see them reading "Out".

Talk2BigSteve
05-27-2005, 10:13 PM
Out Magazine (http://66.161.86.126/index.asp?)

Unless he is looking at building up his Abs I would say he has some closet issues.

Big Steve /images/graemlins/cool.gif

partygirluk
05-27-2005, 10:19 PM
This is an old guy who has likely been married for 1000 years. Possibilities

i) He didn't realise it was a gay mag

ii) He is confident enough in his own body not to give a fukc what anyone else thinks.

JackWilson
05-27-2005, 10:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Do you think FHM could be read by a gay guy?

Hell, it is For Him Magazine but I know lots of girls that read it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to say this is a poorly thought-out argument.

EDIT: @OP - I sort of get it but I'd like to hear why you labelled the experience as "awkward".

gumpzilla
05-27-2005, 10:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Possibilities

i) He didn't realise it was a gay mag

ii) He is confident enough in his own body not to give a fukc what anyone else thinks.

[/ QUOTE ]

iii) He has a gay son or daughter and is interested in various gay issues.

iv) He is interested in an interview with a famous gay person that is featured in the magazine

v) He is gay.

vi-xxxii) . . . tons of other possibilities.

jack spade23
05-27-2005, 10:28 PM
dunno....'cause the if the guy is gay, then the wife obviously doesn't know. Ive never seen anyone whom i knew was leading a secret life. Not really akward, more...ummmm.....just "strange" will do it.

touchfaith
05-27-2005, 10:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I was at a local bookstore reading Chris Moneymaker's book about the 2003 WSOP (by the way I hated it) before work. I look across and a nice elderly man and his wife walk in. Nothing out of the ordinary, he kinda looks like Doyle Brunson. She leaves, and he sits down. A couple of minutes later, he removes a magazine from the shelf and begins to read it. Its entitled "Out", and it has a picture of a half naked dude on the cover. The man's wife is nowhere to be found. I do a double take to be sure. hes into it, reading in depth. ten minutes later, he puts it away and she comes back and they leave. I felt like I was in a Seinfeld episode.

Is there anyone (ahem, talk2bigsteve?) who knows if there is content in this magazine that heterosexual people will read? Cause he could just be an old guy who doesn't give a [censored] what anyone thinks, as long as the article is good. Also, there is the possibility that they're just really old swingers that switch hit, but thats pretty remote.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did he ask you if he could stick it in your pooper?

If not...who cares?

Talk2BigSteve
05-27-2005, 10:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This is an old guy who has likely been married for 1000 years. Possibilities

i) She didn't realise she was a F A G hag

ii) He is confident enough in his own body not to give a fukc what she thinks.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP!

OtisTheMarsupial
05-28-2005, 01:24 AM
How is this awkward? Is this dude your father? a friend? hitting on you?

What the hell do you care what he reads?
Maybe she's his beard and she's OK with that.
What do you care?

Skip Brutale
05-28-2005, 02:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The story is true. the probability that the magazine could be read by heteros = laughable

[/ QUOTE ]

One time at barnes and nobles I saw a magazine that said bazaare. Or some spelling like that. I was like hmm, I'm down with bizare stuff I guess. So I opened it up and realized it was a homosexual magazine. I looked around to see if anyone noticed and quickly put it back. Quite the embaressment.

TimM
05-28-2005, 02:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
One time at barnes and nobles I saw a magazine that said bazaare. Or some spelling like that. I was like hmm, I'm down with bizare stuff I guess. So I opened it up and realized it was a homosexual magazine. I looked around to see if anyone noticed and quickly put it back. Quite the embaressment.

[/ QUOTE ]

Shouldn't it bother a gay person that the worst possible thing most straight guys can imagine is to be thought gay?

drexah
05-28-2005, 02:17 AM
jackspade = bigsteve
PROBLEM SOLVED!
yes i WIN!

bighomage
05-28-2005, 02:21 AM
Clearly, it was Mr. Hancock. He's depressed that his wife has been rammed by a huge horsecock.

SmileyEH
05-28-2005, 03:04 AM
I think he is a badass regardless of his sexual orientation.

-SmileyEH

Talk2BigSteve
05-28-2005, 03:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Shouldn't it bother a gay person that the worst possible thing most straight guys can imagine is to be thought gay?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not one bit, I look at hot guys and then see them with their girlfriend/wife/whore/___fill_in_the_blank___ and thing "EWWW, Fukcing Breeders!"

Superfluous Man
05-28-2005, 03:16 AM
I didn't read the thread, but I hope you at least got a reacharound.

SippinSoma
05-28-2005, 03:25 AM
WTF do you care what other people read?

PS: DRUNK AZ FUK.

Dominic
05-28-2005, 12:53 PM
I love how young people think that old people no longer have any interest in sex...

LittleOldLady
05-28-2005, 01:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I love how young people think that old people no longer have any interest in sex...

[/ QUOTE ]

What Dominic said....

If the guy wasn't bothered by reading that magazine in public (and obviously he wasn't), I don't see how it was any of your business. FWIW sexual preference is a continuum, not a binary. There are people who are totally gay and people who are totally straight, but most people fall somewhere in the middle with potential to be attracted to the not-usually-preferred sex under certain circumstances (e.g, single-sex environments). And there are also genuinely bisexual people. And she might not have been his wife. And you seem to be exhibiting undue anxiety about homosexuality (for whatever reason...) since the guy in no way involved you in his literary (or art appreciation) pursuits. And it is still none of your business.

LOL

jack spade23
05-28-2005, 02:30 PM
Yup, that was it. Undue anxiety, bingo. I must be bigsteve's poser account. [censored] you. it was just a weird story. It wasn't like I was gonna go tell the older woman, and im not acting like its my business. Jesus, people are quick to act like assholes.

and if you wouldve read more of the op, you would have seen that I gave ample different reasons he couldve been reading it. For example he just doesn't give a [censored] what other people think.

Dominic
05-28-2005, 02:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yup, that was it. Undue anxiety, bingo. I must be bigsteve's poser account. [censored] you. it was just a weird story. It wasn't like I was gonna go tell the older woman, and im not acting like its my business. Jesus, people are quick to act like assholes.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I think she has you pegged. It made you anxious - for whatever reason.

jack spade23
05-28-2005, 02:38 PM
Im not gonna try to argue this, i wont change anyone's mind. Anxiety, being weirded out, they're similar. I know one thing for sure: i wasnt worried he was gonna come over and give me a reacharound, at least not until i gave him the go ahead.

LittleOldLady
05-28-2005, 04:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I think she has you pegged. It made you anxious - for whatever reason.

[/ QUOTE ]

What Dominic said....

You bothered to tell a whole forum of more or less perfect strangers about this incident, and you called the incident 'awkward' (oops, 'akward') when it in fact didn't involve you in the slightest and shouldn't have bothered you any more than being behind a little old lady buying condoms in the checkout line. I would suggest that you examine your feelings to discern why you felt that noticing an older man (accompanied by a woman) looking at a gay-oriented magazine was 'akward' in the first place. This bothered you, and no amount of calling little old ladies (and Dominic, I suppose) assholes or saying "bleep you" will cover that over.

LOL

jack spade23
05-28-2005, 05:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
awkward' (oops, 'akward')

[/ QUOTE ]

dammit my story was perfect until i saw this. I cant believe they're letting me graduate.

btw, why are you opposed to me finding it weird? I would have done the same thing if i saw the old lady buying condoms. Maybe cause i live in a tiny town in Indiana where this kinda stuff doesnt happen much.

Dominic
05-28-2005, 06:10 PM
I think it's an amusing anecdote. Awkward or weird, it's not.

gorie
05-28-2005, 06:13 PM
for some reason that LOL at the end made that post at least 10 times better.

LOL

LittleOldLady
05-28-2005, 06:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
awkward' (oops, 'akward')

[/ QUOTE ]

dammit my story was perfect until i saw this. I cant believe they're letting me graduate.

btw, why are you opposed to me finding it weird? I would have done the same thing if i saw the old lady buying condoms. Maybe cause i live in a tiny town in Indiana where this kinda stuff doesnt happen much.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're not the only one graduating who doesn't always proofread carefully....

It is not a matter of opposing your claim that you find this incident weird or awkward. If you found it weird/awkward, you found it weird/awkward. It's a matter of suggesting that you develop some self-awareness as to why you found it uncomfortable. Since you say you would find seeing an old lady buying condoms weird/awkward, perhaps you are uncomfortable with older people as sexual beings, or even just other people as sexual beings. Given the original anecdote about the man, the woman, and the mag, perhaps the existence of homosexuality/bisexuality bothers you. Would you have found it awkward if you had seen a guy in his 20s walk into the store with his girlfriend and then peruse the typical female centerfold after his girlfriend left? If not, you need to ask yourself why the older man with the gay mag bothered you enough to tell a whole bunch of strangers about it. This man did not come on to you in any way, so why did you feel the situation was awkward?

LOL

PS--Trust me, human sexuality manifests itself in all kinds of ways, even in small towns in Indiana, albeit the manifestations are usually behind closed doors. Props to the old guy who had the guts to be himself in public.

gorie
05-28-2005, 06:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]

LOL

[/ QUOTE ]
crap, i get it now.

jack spade23
05-28-2005, 07:31 PM
i assuredly have a problem w/ old people having sex. not a moral problem, it just grosses me out.

LittleOldLady
05-28-2005, 08:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i assuredly have a problem w/ old people having sex. not a moral problem, it just grosses me out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, sweetie, it just gets better. Check back in about 30-40 years.....

LOL

jack spade23
05-28-2005, 08:44 PM
eeeeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwww /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

LittleOldLady
05-28-2005, 08:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
eeeeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwww /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I gather you intend to opt for celibacy in a decade or two.... To each his own, but that wouldn't be the course of action I'd recommend.

LOL