PDA

View Full Version : So is this guy gonna jump or roll off in his sleep?

krazyace5
05-27-2005, 09:14 PM
A homicide suspect remained perched on an 18-story construction crane for a third day Friday, holding police at bay and causing a spectacle in the city's entertainment district.

A plea from his sister, offers of food and a plan to have him jump onto air bags on a nearby building hadn't resolved the standoff.

The man, identified as Carl Edward Roland, got onto the crane around 5 p.m. Wednesday and told police he was thinking of killing himself by jumping, police spokesman Sgt. John Quigley said.

"When he's ready to come down, he'll come down _ one way or the other," Quigley said.

Roland is wanted by the Pinellas County, Fla., sheriff's department in the death of ex-girlfriend Jennifer L. Gonzalez, 36, whose body found Tuesday. An arrest warrant affidavit accuses Roland of strangling Gonzalez and dumping her body in a pond behind the apartment complex where she lived.

Two days earlier, Roland told acquaintances he believed Gonzalez was cheating on him and asked them if they could get him a firearm so he could kill her, according to the affidavit.

Authorities had said Thursday that Roland talked to negotiators but refused food and water. Quigley said he didn't know if he had accepted anything since then.

Since March, the 41-year-old Clearwater, Fla., man had quit his job as a software salesman and filed for bankruptcy. Roland said he owed $10,500 in federal taxes and more than $13,000 on credit cards, court records show.

The standoff was high above Atlanta's busy Buckhead neighborhood, an area filled with clubs and restaurants. Lunch and dinner crowds, taking advantage of summer-like weather, have packed restaurant patios with clear views of the standoff.

Authorities closed some streets under the crane, including Peachtree Road, one of the city's main thoroughfares. The closure led to traffic delays throughout the area.

Vernard Swindle, 29, laid off from his job stocking groceries, took a bus from his home three miles away Friday to see what was going on. He was still there two hours later.

"I'm wondering what's going on in his head to stay up there more than 36 hours with no food or water," Swindle said.

somethingstupid
05-27-2005, 09:16 PM
yes

jakethebake
05-27-2005, 10:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
for a third day Friday,

"I'm wondering what's going on in his head to stay up there more than 36 hours with no food or water," Swindle said.

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/confused.gif

spy587
05-27-2005, 11:35 PM
I live in Atlanta. This one guy is really screwing up all of Buckhead, which is where all the resturants and clubs are. I say just shoot him down.

Dead
05-27-2005, 11:39 PM
I say just let him starve to death if he doesn't want to come down.

ClaytonN
05-27-2005, 11:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I live in Atlanta. This one guy is really screwing up all of Buckhead, which is where all the resturants and clubs are. I say just shoot him down.

[/ QUOTE ]

I also live in Atlanta, near Marist.

If he's still up there we're likely going down to the Lodge in Buckhead to watch what's going on.

My dad put it best: If the guy hasn't jumped by now, he ain't gonna jump. This is not like jumping off an apartment complex, this is 15 f*ckin' stories.

Likely the police will nab him while he is sleeping and too weak to move from lack of food or water.

Dead
05-28-2005, 12:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
This is not like jumping off an apartment complex, this is 15 f*ckin' stories.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't get this part.

Are you saying he won't jump because he doesn't wanna die(and he would from falling 15 stories), but that he would jump 3 or 4 stories?

Eihli
05-28-2005, 02:06 AM
Yeah, that's what everyone says. The point is it takes too much time for that to happen.

Sephus
05-28-2005, 04:20 AM
if i were gonna kill myself by jumping, the higher the better. i wouldnt want to feel anything.

-Skeme-
05-28-2005, 07:45 AM
I'd imagine the seconds between jumping and impact would be pretty [censored] scary.

Lazymeatball
05-28-2005, 09:55 AM
Once you reach terminal velocity, it wouldn't make much of a difference. I remember hearing something saying the height needed to reach terminal velocity for the average man is somewhere between 5 and 10 stories.

fsuplayer
05-28-2005, 11:59 AM
yeah like 70ft for most people.

so it doesnt matter whether you fall from an airplane, or an 8 story building, your speed upon impact will be the same.

ClaytonN
05-28-2005, 12:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Likely the police will nab him while he is sleeping and too weak to move from lack of food or water.

[/ QUOTE ]

Boo-yah (http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/05/28/crane.man/index.html)

They offered the guy water after midnight, and he crawled over to accept it and they tackled and tasered him. Awesome.

Thythe
05-28-2005, 12:08 PM
The old offer water shim sham. That's the oldest trick in the book, and a sad one at that.