PDA

View Full Version : I flopped quads, don't tell anyone.

Acesover8s
12-17-2002, 12:03 AM
Online tight game. I'm in the small blind with flaming red rockets. 2 limpers and I raise it up. I always raise with AA and KK here as well as a few other hand, but I haven't been at the table long enough for anyone to know that.

So the flop comes AAJ. So what am I gonna do, check? I guess I could and 'say' I have KK, but I would still bet that hand too. I bet, 1 limper calls. Turn is a Q no flush draw. I check. He checks with me. Turn is a deuce, I bet and get called. My hand holds up.

Did I maximize my betting here? I think checking the turn might have bet the right play, especially if it allowed him to catch his set card.

Could I have made more money?

THanks,

cero_z
12-17-2002, 03:53 AM
In a tight game (do they have those online?), you probably will have a hard time getting more than 1.5 BB with this hand. Still, I would probably check it once, just in case one of them's not as tight as you think (you hadn't been there that long). If anyone bites, make more, and may even trap a caller in between for a SB. The problem with checking these hands on the flop is that if you bet the turn, the pot's still small enough for them to let go worry-free. If you plan to play a while, though, this "tight" game seems like a good place to check quads twice. It could pay off later when you're robbing them blind (of free cards AND small pots). Too bad no one had Jacks full.