PDA

View Full Version : Why didnt I bet?

tighterr
05-27-2005, 07:29 PM
10-20 full table (pretty loose game)

4 to the flop Hero is BB with KQo

Flop is Q /images/graemlins/diamond.gif10 /images/graemlins/club.gif8 /images/graemlins/club.gif
SB checks, Hero checks, hopeing to c/r?, CO check, Button check.

Turn 7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif
SB checks, Hero checks, CO bet, Button call, SBfold, Hero Calls.

River A /images/graemlins/spade.gif
Hero Checks, CO checks, Button Bets, Hero Folds, CO calls.

The reason I didnt start out betting from the flop is because the board floped so neatly. I knew that anyone with a J or /images/graemlins/club.gif draw is calling my one bet. I figured if someone bet out in late position I could make it 3 bets to the fishers.
After that didnt work out and the 7 fell on the turn the pot was two small for me to push it anymore and risk the reraise.
Am I way off in my thinking? Would anyone fold the turn bet?

autobet
05-27-2005, 07:46 PM
Bet the turn, and fold (to most players) when raised.
You bet because you probably have the best hand, to protect your hand, and to gain information. Check calling does none of these.

flytrap
05-27-2005, 07:50 PM
Sure, there are a lot of bad cards that can hit on the turn, but there are a lot of good cards too. Also, no one raised before the flop, so don't expect that someone will automatically bet for you. On the turn you must bet.

JackWilson
05-27-2005, 08:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Would anyone fold the turn bet?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, I play small to medium/small stakes (5/10) so I am no pro, however I sometimes read this forum and like to pick up a thing or two from the masters.

Having said that, can someone please explain to me why on earth anyone would fold the turn with top pair 2nd best kicker for 1 bet when no-one has showed strength? Am I missing something obvious?

elindauer
05-27-2005, 09:33 PM
What are you doing?

Your flop check is fine. Once it gets checked through though, you should bet the turn. Once you check and it's bet, you should check-raise. Once you fail to do that, you should call the river. You have way underrepresented your hand, players will value bet worse hands than what you have.

Good luck.
Eric

tighterr
05-27-2005, 10:23 PM
Thanks Eric, it seems like the general thought is that I should have raised the turn. To weak passive of me.

tighterr
05-27-2005, 10:29 PM
well why I question a call is simply this:

Most of the two plus two authors dont think calling is right in the first place, I either have a raising hand or a folding hand. (in this case I obviously should have raised)

Secondly I look at the pot and dont see much worth fighting for.(small pot) I could be up against a made straight and a drawing to the nut flush. Do I really want to get pot committed to a hand that may already be dead and if not dead holding on by a finger tip?

After thinking about all this I should have raised the trun to gain info at least, but then I may be giving the correct pot odds for someone to chase the flush...

JackWilson
05-27-2005, 10:35 PM
Ok, I fully understand the concept of playing extremely tightly in small pots, but I just can't believe that routinely folding top pair (even in small pots) just because someone bet on a semi-coordinated board after no-one showed strength is right. Where do you draw the line with situations like these?

EDIT: Ok, I think I might have misunderstood. Are you saying that the answer to your question is indeed to not fold and it was simply asking to make sure? How close is it? From your OP I got the impression you thought it was quite close.

surfdoc
05-27-2005, 10:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Secondly I look at the pot and dont see much worth fighting for.(small pot) I could be up against a made straight and a drawing to the nut flush. Do I really want to get pot committed to a hand that may already be dead and if not dead holding on by a finger tip?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is limit holdem right? Why are you concerned about being pot committed? You probably have the best hand. You may get outdrawn but you can't be seeing monsters under the bed. Start thinking like this: These guys are all donks, nobody has a better queen or they woulda raised. Therefore I need to bet and let them chase.

James282
05-27-2005, 10:47 PM
You didn't bet because you aren't a good player. Fold to the turn bet? Christ almighty.
-James

surfdoc
05-27-2005, 10:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You didn't bet because you aren't a good player. Fold to the turn bet? Christ almighty.
-James

[/ QUOTE ]

I am guessing that is why he is posting. After all it does say newbie under his name.

JackWilson
05-27-2005, 10:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
-James

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/heart.gif James...

James282
05-27-2005, 11:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
-James

[/ QUOTE ]

I am guessing that is why he is posting. After all it does say newbie under his name.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, but sometimes the truth hurts. It hurts a lot less than the cash this guy is going to lose at 10/20.
-James

surfdoc
05-27-2005, 11:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
-James

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, but sometimes the truth hurts. It hurts a lot less than the cash this guy is going to lose at 10/20.
-James

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair enough.