PDA

View Full Version : playing suited connectors poorly

SteveM
05-27-2005, 07:24 PM
I haven't seen this posted before, so hopefully it isn't a stupid question.

OK, I must suck at playing suited connectors, but I need some help figuring out how I'm messing them up. I was going over my PT stats, giving myself 11.5 K check-up (thought I'd be sparing you guys the hassle, but I guess not) /images/graemlins/blush.gif.

Anyway, if it matters, I think I'm pretty solid in most areas but I'm sure I have lots of room for improvement. I usually play $.50/$1.00 or $1/$2 and over the last 11.5 K hands I'm VP$IP 19.3%, PFR 8.4% (and improving), AGG 1.9, BB/100 = 2.2.

So here's my question - why am I losing on most of my suited connectors? I've been dealt each of them 25-50 times and most are losers of (0.2)-(0.4) BB/hand for me. The only money makers are AKs +.8 and JTs +.13, 65s +.02, and 32s +.07. Seems like a big leak to me, do you agree? Any ideas for improvment? How do your stats compare? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

(sorry I can't post a screenshot)

Steve

SteveL91
05-27-2005, 07:38 PM
This is over such a small sample that I wouldn't necessarily read anything into it. I have about 70,000 hands in my database, and I'm still losing with JTs, but I'm winning with QJs and T9s.

Don't know that it'll help, but I'll toss up some stats on my suited connectors:

AKs: 1.42 BB/hand
KQs: .68 BB/hand
QJs: .48 BB/hand
T9s: .09 BB/hand
98s: .08 BB/hand
45s: .02 BB/hand

Losers:

A2s: -.03 BB/hand
76s: -.04 BB/hand
65s: -.04 BB/hand
JTs: -.04 BB/hand
43s: -.11 BB/hand
32s: -.12 BB/hand
78s: -.19 BB/hand

I've had each hand anywhere from 212 to 250 hands. Clearly, the sample is no where near big enough to be conclusive. Also, three hands are a net winner (loser) money wise, but negative (positive) in terms of BB/hand: 54s is a net loser money wise, but still has a positive expectation; A2s and JTs are net gainers, yet have negative expectations at this point in time.

Really, just don't read so much into stats. Post hands if you're unsure (and this is something I should start doing as well).

grjr
05-27-2005, 08:06 PM
All suited connectors account for 19% of my net. All suited connctors and one-gaps account for 31% of my net. I like em.

I think the key is to not stay in too long with middle or bottom pair (or top pair-weak kicker) and not fold too soon when you have a pair and back door draws. If there was a raise preflop and the pot is big enough you may have the odds to call the flop with only two good back door draws.

Edit: I forgot to add you may have to discount this advice because I'm lucky.

PuckNPoker
05-27-2005, 08:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
All suited connectors account for 19% of my net. All suited connctors and one-gaps account for 31% of my net. I like em.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that stat would be more interesting with everything TJs and above taken out. AKs,AQs,AJs,KQs,KJs, I would think would account for the vast majority of gain. Yes?

grjr
05-27-2005, 08:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that stat would be more interesting with everything TJs and above taken out. AKs,AQs,AJs,KQs,KJs, I would think would account for the vast majority of gain. Yes?

[/ QUOTE ]

Starting at QTs and going down (no QJs or JTs) accounts for 13% of my net or +0.18/hand. If you take out QTs then it's still 10% of my net or +0.15BB/hand.

These are profitable hands if they can be played properly post-flop.

bottomset
05-28-2005, 01:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Starting at QTs and going down (no QJs or JTs) accounts for 13% of my net or +0.18/hand. If you take out QTs then it's still 10% of my net or +0.15BB/hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

they def. are overproducing for you enjoy it while it lasts

grjr
05-28-2005, 01:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

they def. are overproducing for you enjoy it while it lasts

[/ QUOTE ]

http://waltonfeed.com/pic/ostrich.gif

/images/graemlins/wink.gif