PDA

View Full Version : Playing QQ after a flop with an overcard

IcemanDan
05-27-2005, 06:44 PM
I was playing .25-.50 blinds no limit the other day and looked down to see two red ladies. I was in late position (one to the left of the dealer in a game with 6 players) and I raised to 2.50. It folded around to the big blind who called the raise, and the two players acting after him folded. There was 5.75 in the pot (the small blind folded and 1st position called .50 and then folded).

The flop came 3-K-8. He checked to me. I bet the pot, and he moved all in for 3 more. I thought I had to call, because of implied odds (3 more to win a pot of over 20), so I did. I ended up catching a set on the turn and winning the hand, and my opponent mucked his cards.

Did I make the right play?

And, in general, what is the best way to play a big pocket pair (10's-Q's) when overcard(s) fall on the flop?

PorscheNGuns
05-27-2005, 07:32 PM
I think your implied odds would be 0, since you can't possibly win any more money after the call. Your pot odds is what you meant, putting in 3 dollars to win a pot of over 20.

In general you want to read your opponent and determine if he has the overcard or not, then when you figure him for the overcard (or not) its an easy decision.

-Matt

The_Missile
05-27-2005, 09:53 PM
I think you played it right. If your opponent mucked, then my guess is he was playing an A-8 or something like that, and he thought maybe his pair of eights would have held up. Also, depending on your style, if he moved all-in, he probably thought you didn't have a king, and in his thinking you didn't have one, he clearly did not have one. Therefore, you made the right call. Or at least I think you did.

KneeCo
05-28-2005, 01:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think you played it right. If your opponent mucked, then my guess is he was playing an A-8 or something like that, and he thought maybe his pair of eights would have held up.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that he would probably have showed a K, but since he was reraising a pot sized bet I wouldn't put him on a middle pair.

Was the flop a rainbow? If not, I would put him on a flush draw, at least that's what the reraise seemed like to me.

In either case, calling the extra 3$ was pretty automatic.

GoodOL
05-28-2005, 09:44 PM
You need to be close to 90% certain that he has you beat for you to fold. I don't think anyone could have that certainty in the spot. Easy call.

Masquerade
05-28-2005, 11:27 PM
If you're going to call his last $3 after betting the pot but don't want a king calling then maybe better to make him call allin with a larger flop bet? Probably wouldnt have made any difference here but in general you might make a weak king fold.

fireman664
05-29-2005, 01:27 AM
In this particular decision, your pot commited, and therefore have to call (your getting close to 7-1). In general, with deeper money behind, I think its an easy fold UNLESS you have a read that says otherwise.